Windows 10: File Explorer and Disk Management not detecting removable devices

Discus and support File Explorer and Disk Management not detecting removable devices in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, I recently took my old hard drive out of my laptop and now using it as a external hard drive with a USB to SATA connector. Every time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ayaan Malik, Jan 9, 2019.

1. File Explorer and Disk Management not detecting removable devices

Hi there,

I recently took my old hard drive out of my laptop and now using it as a external hard drive with a USB to SATA connector. Every time I connect my hard drive the blue LED lights up meaning the system has access but also the blue LED needs to flashing so I can put files into it. File explorer is not detecting it. And the LED is just blue. This does not work with other USB devices such as a flash drive or a wire connecting to my phone. This was also happening before I updated Windows 10. The USB drives are not coming up on disk management but it is receiving power. I have tried all of my USB ports (USB 3.0 and 2.0). Either the version of Windows 10 that I am using has a bug which I need to report to the devs or there is a setting that I have may blindly changed.

Windows 10 Version: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 18305 (OS Build 18305.1003)

Any thing would help

Thanks

:)

Ayaan Malik, Jan 9, 2019

2. Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, Jan 9, 2019
  3. AnsonTam Win User
    Missing hard disk: disk management doesn't detect my hard disks but detected by the device manager

Missing hard disk: form disk management doesn't detect my hard disks but detected by the device manager. even I try CMD diskpart it doesn't show up, but at the device manager all of my four hard disks are detected (1ssd & 1hhd & 2hhd not showing up)

AnsonTam, Jan 9, 2019
  4. File Explorer and Disk Management not detecting removable devices

Motherboard doesn't detect usb 3.0

does it detect in device manager?

explorer->system properties->device manager.

it should be listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

does it have a little caution symbol next to it (! in yellow triangle)

de.das.dude, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer and Disk Management not detecting removable devices

1. File Explorer and Disk Management not detecting removable devices - Similar Threads - File Explorer Disk

2. Disk not being detected by file explorer and is completely inaccessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk not being detected by file explorer and is completely inaccessible: Hello, I'm having issues with a Sandisk Ultra 32GB Micro SD card I took from my old phone. When I put it into my PC it shows up in disk management as two healthy partitions but it's completely inaccessible in File Explorer and all of the actions in disk management are greyed...
  3. Disk not being detected by file explorer and is completely inaccessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk not being detected by file explorer and is completely inaccessible: Hello, I'm having issues with a Sandisk Ultra 32GB Micro SD card I took from my old phone. When I put it into my PC it shows up in disk management as two healthy partitions but it's completely inaccessible in File Explorer and all of the actions in disk management are greyed...
  4. HDD missing from file Explorer. But can be found in device manager and disk managment

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD missing from file Explorer. But can be found in device manager and disk managment: HelloI was using my computer which is windows 10.i went to play a game and had to re download it as my HHD was no longer in the file explorer.Although i can see it in device manager and disk management,in disk management it is now un-allocated, previously it was my "E"...
  5. Drive D not showing in explorer, device manager or disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive D not showing in explorer, device manager or disk management: Yesterday night I started some updates for windows and left them over night. Today I turn on my laptop and all the stuff on drive d is gone. My whole drive was gone. It isn't showing up in the explorer, disk manager, device manager and it isn't even showing up in the bios. I...
  6. USB Not Detected In Disk Manager, Shows As Other Device

USB Not Detected In Disk Manager, Shows As Other Device: Hi, Recently my pc has stopped detecting USB drives from the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports. I have tried multiple troubleshooting methods to try and get the USBs detected.Have tried updating drivers, uninstalling and then scanning for hardware changes. Restating pc after...
  7. Floppy drive not showing in Explorer Device Manager or Disk Management

Floppy drive not showing in Explorer Device Manager or Disk Management: The floppy disk controller shows in Device Manager, but not the drive. The BIOS sees the drive and the drive was chosen in the BIOS and the controller was turned on in the BIOS. I tried to install the floppy drive manually in Add Hardware, but there isn't a listing for it....
  8. How to removed "Removable Disk" but there is not on Disk Management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to removed "Removable Disk" but there is not on Disk Management: There is no removable disk on my PC but still showing on This PC. How to remove? Thanks [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-removed-removable-disk-but-there-is-not-on/f72e7bb8-a381-4cc7-ab48-26f6218fc35d"
  9. Hardware displaying in Device Manager but not in File Explorer

Hardware displaying in Device Manager but not in File Explorer: Windows Version 1903 (OS Build 19362.418) Update today at 10:30 AM Phoenix After update some hardware are not displaying in File Explorer. Device Manager [img] File Explorer [img] The CD\DVD Drive is not showing and not all of the hard drives are showing. What can I do...
  10. Removable devices are not detected by File Explorer

Removable devices are not detected by File Explorer: I am trying an old hard drive to use it as an external drive via a USB to SATA cable. When I connect it, I receive the blue LED lights up but not flashing. It means the system has access to this drive but I cannot put files into it. File explorer is not detecting it. This...