Windows 10: File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed

Discus and support File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I work on files most of my computer time. Because they are either embroidery files or graphics, I need to use large icons to know what I'm working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Airycat, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Airycat Win User

File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed

I work on files most of my computer time. Because they are either embroidery files or graphics, I need to use large icons to know what I'm working with. I do what I know to keep extraneous files from accumulating.I empty my recycle bin regularlyI run Disk Cleanup frequently to keep temp files and thumbnails cleaned outI run CCleaner weekly or biweekly to get rid of other **** that builds up mostly cookiesI have only Windows security notification enabled at start upFile Explorer still freezes regularly. Occasionally briefly. Most often until a restart. Sometimes I can simply open a new win

:)

Airycat, Apr 14, 2022

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Apr 14, 2022
  3. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 14, 2022
  4. File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Apr 14, 2022
Thema:

File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed

1. File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed - Similar Threads - File Explorer file

2. File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File: for some reason every time I try and install an exe like DiscordSetup.exe or any other exe. My file explorer will freeze for ever and I cant exit out of it and it opens windows dialog and I cant close that either and then later on it will open up the exe in like 5-10 minutes...
  3. File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File: for some reason every time I try and install an exe like DiscordSetup.exe or any other exe. My file explorer will freeze for ever and I cant exit out of it and it opens windows dialog and I cant close that either and then later on it will open up the exe in like 5-10 minutes...
  4. File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed: I work on files most of my computer time. Because they are either embroidery files or graphics, I need to use large icons to know what I'm working with. I do what I know to keep extraneous files from accumulating.I empty my recycle bin regularlyI run Disk Cleanup frequently...
  6. FIle Explorer keeps freezing

FIle Explorer keeps freezing: This morning Windows Update applied 3 updates, KB4484126 for Office, KB4484238 for Office, and KB4549951 for WIndows 1909. Since then File Explorer has repeatedly locked up. It will quit displaying file previews in the preview pane, sometimes it won't even show the files in...
  7. File Explorer keeps closing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer keeps closing: I open the File Explorer but it closes on its own 30 minutes later. What is the fix? Thank you. It is Windows 10 Pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-keeps-closing/7474eaa6-7a98-4ab8-8f2a-bd2086ab6598"
  8. File Explorer Closes after search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Closes after search: How do I fix the problem of File Explorer closing at the end of a search? File Explorer in Windows 10 Pro closes all open file explorer windows when a search ends....
  9. File Explorer keeps freezing

File Explorer keeps freezing: When I open the File Explorer, I can see my folders and files. However a few minutes later File Explorer freezes. So I have to close the File Explorer then start it again...
  10. File Explorer closes when searching for a file

File Explorer closes when searching for a file: In File Explorer, when I type an entry into the Search box, it momentarily shows results then File Explorer closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-closes-when-searching-for-a-file/2be6c0d9-16bb-479c-93ec-7f16e189223a