Windows 10: File Explorer and ini, ico and lnk files on NAS device

Discus and support File Explorer and ini, ico and lnk files on NAS device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. We have a QNAP NAS device on our network that logs all activity. Our Windows pc's access the folders and files on the NAS via File Explorer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarkMcDonough45, Mar 24, 2019.

1. File Explorer and ini, ico and lnk files on NAS device

Hi. We have a QNAP NAS device on our network that logs all activity. Our Windows pc's access the folders and files on the NAS via File Explorer. When a pc accesses a folder on the NAS, the log indicated that that pc has READ all the ini (and ico and lnk) files of all the folders and sub-folders of the NAS.

For example, if a pc accesses the Coal Mining folder which has dozens and dozens of sub-folders. The NAS log shows the pc reading all the ini (and ico) files down all the folders trees on the NAS. In some cases, this can hundreds or even thousands of log entries.

So it seem the File Explorer wants to find all those ini, ico and lnk files of all the folders and sub-folders even though the pc is not yet accessing any of the folders and sub-folders.

Is this the way File Explorer works? Does it automatically search out ini, ico and lnk files in all the folders and sub-folders even though you have not tried to open or read them?

Thanks. I hope this is not confusing. I'll add some sample log records:

rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Joseph Keating Collection/folder.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Joseph Keating Collection/folder.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Glen Alden Blue Coal Company/folder.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Felix (Pazula) Yezulski and Ed Yezilski Mine Pay Slips between 1923 and 1959/folder.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Glen Alden Blue Coal Company/folder.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Felix (Pazula) Yezulski and Ed Yezilski Mine Pay Slips between 1923 and 1959/folder.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Coal Land Deeds- Kay Strickland/folder.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Coal Land Deeds- Kay Strickland/folder.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Joseph Keating Collection/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/folderico-1552608402.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Glen Alden Blue Coal Company/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/folderico-1552608402.ico Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Felix (Pazula) Yezulski and Ed Yezilski Mine Pay Slips between 1923 and 1959/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Coal Mining/Coal Land Deeds- Kay Strickland/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Teresa M. McAndrew Memorial Catholic Collection.lnk Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/z-Genealogy Research Aids/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Sports/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Prayer - Funeral cards/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/PA Death Certificate Indices/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Obituaries/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/NEPGS Newsletters-The Heritage/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Misc. Vital Records/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Misc. Church Records and Books (non-local)/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Misc/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Military/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Microfilm Digitized/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/Medical/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/History-Misc- (non-local)/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/History-Local/desktop.ini Read
    rpmainpc Public/Digital Files/High School Yearbooks/desktop.ini Read

:)

MarkMcDonough45, Mar 24, 2019
  2. nuva Win User

Snippet C#: INI Files

This code is great, i'm going to use this in one of my programmes *Big Grin File Explorer and ini, ico and lnk files on NAS device :D

is it possible to make a list of all sections in the ini files?

3. Snippet C#: INI Files

GetSections() will return a string[] of section names. If you want the values too, just do a for or for loop to enumerate them. For example:

Code: foreach (string section in ini.GetSections()) { Console.WriteLine("[" + section + "]"); foreach (string key in ini[section].GetKeys()) Console.WriteLine(key + "=" + ini[section][key]); Console.WriteLine(); }[/quote]

FordGT90Concept, Mar 24, 2019
  4. File Explorer and ini, ico and lnk files on NAS device

Windows 10 WMDC .lnk files

Hi Jom,

We suggest performing the steps provided above for us to troubleshoot your issue with copying .lnk files to any devices.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Lov Dollente, Mar 24, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer and ini, ico and lnk files on NAS device

1. File Explorer and ini, ico and lnk files on NAS device - Similar Threads - File Explorer ini

2. .lnk folder file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .lnk folder file: Good day.Could someone please help me. I have created a folder in my OneDrive app and created a Shortcut from that folder however when I try accessing it online I cannot open the Shortcut folder. Here's how it looks.https://prnt.sc/8fxpgNamhqB6Thank you....
  3. .lnk folder file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .lnk folder file: Good day.Could someone please help me. I have created a folder in my OneDrive app and created a Shortcut from that folder however when I try accessing it online I cannot open the Shortcut folder. Here's how it looks.https://prnt.sc/8fxpgNamhqB6Thank you....
  4. Converting a JPEG or PNG file to an ICO file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Converting a JPEG or PNG file to an ICO file: My computer, is a laptop. Running, Windows 10.A ICO file is real nice.It can become, the picture on a desktop shortcut.What I need is to, convert either of these files.To an ICO file.Without, mentioning names. Most of these applications, have a limit.After converting, a few...
  5. windows 10 search not working with NAS files, cannot find files on NAS in file explorer SOLVED

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 search not working with NAS files, cannot find files on NAS in file explorer SOLVED: this was a huge problem for my companyWIN 7 works fine with search, local and nasWIN 10 just cant seem to find anythingi dont know the logic of why the problem was fixed maybe someone could shed some lightone day when i was doing a fresh install of WIN 10 pro, i deactivated...
  6. Several .exe files changed to .lnk Files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Several .exe files changed to .lnk Files: This whole thing happened when i download PaintrigV3 For Blender, All of my Programs, Shortcuts, Windows Files got this weird name called .LNK And i thought this was normal when my friend told me it was a malware i got shocked, I Delete the malware and start Quick Scan...
  7. Windows Defender and .ini files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender and .ini files: We ae using Windows 10 and Windows Defender antivirus. When our program saves information to an .ini file - it can take a very long time. It takes more than 4 times longer with Windows Defender than with other anti-virus programs ex AVG, Avast. If we exclude the .ini file...
  8. .lnk files

.lnk files: The OneDrive Support team have told me to delete the following .lnk files as they are preventing a full sync. But they've also expressed caution:"Some applications may depend on these links to function properly. Remove only the links that you know are safe to modify"....
  9. Can't access NAS files in file explorer

Can't access NAS files in file explorer: Hi, I have a small home office with two computers. I decided to invest in a NAS so that the two computers have access to the same files. The newer computer, a lenovo AIO, had no problem connecting to the nas through a network switch which both computers are connected to,...
  10. Corrupt files (Windows accessory .lnk files)

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupt files (Windows accessory .lnk files): When I run sfc /scannow, these are the problems that can't be fixed: 2016-04-17 17:10:09, Info CSI 000051ab [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:17]"Snipping Tool.lnk" of Microsoft-Windows-SnippingTool-App, version 10.0.10586.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer ini files

2. file explorer and ini ico and lnk files on nas device microsoft