Windows 10: File Explorer and W10 file structure

Discus and support File Explorer and W10 file structure in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am the sole user of a W10 PC and find the basic file structure used in W10 totally confusing. It seems impossible to get information about what is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KnutFG, Dec 30, 2020.

1. KnutFG Win User

File Explorer and W10 file structure

I am the sole user of a W10 PC and find the basic file structure used in W10 totally confusing. It seems impossible to get information about what is nested under what and how the parts are interacting to understand how the hierarchy is built up. Trying to re/organize my personal files therefore seems a close to impossible task and de-constructing W10 should not need to be my may occupation for days!

How do I AVOID and bypass completely the pre-defined folder structure of Documents - Pictures - 3D Objects - Desktop etc etc in W10?

I would like the local structure Drive/Username if necessary/Folder/Filename as defined and organized by ME and based on that, also myself decide and organize where to place copies and backups. It should not be necessary to have to guess what is and where is the original of files and folders and what is just a display of an original from a different viewpoint.

Is it possible to get a user interface similar to W7 as an overlay on W10 via an app or by tweaking w10 directly?

FRUSTRATED!!

:)

KnutFG, Dec 30, 2020
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Dec 30, 2020
  3. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 30, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

1. File Explorer and W10 file structure - Similar Threads - File Explorer W10

2. Windows 11 File Structure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Structure: Microsoft pushed Windows 11 to my laptop, but my desktop machine is still on Windows 10. It would be nice to have both machines on the same OS. However...The file stucture in Windows 11 is really confusing. There is a desktop link on top and another desktop link inside it....
  3. File Structure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  4. File Structure

File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  5. W10 File Explorer Problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 File Explorer Problems: I can no longer see files with network connected storage, NAS and media appliances. Using media center I can see the files and using a MAC they are there. This problem occurred after the April updates....
  6. File Explorer Tree Structure changed

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Tree Structure changed: My Windows was set up badly and I was trying to make my User desktop be my laptop desktop. I changed the location of my user Desktop to C: and now My file explorer structure looks like this: [img] how do i get it back to normal with "This PC" at the top of the tree 160908
  7. Windows 10 filing structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 filing structure: Can someone please explain the relationship between the various places from which photos may be accessed, eg This PC/Pictures or C/Users/John/Pictures? It seems to me that the contents of each are not identical. 158196
  8. file explorer blocking preview in W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer blocking preview in W10: I have read that in 'folder options' the 'always show icons, never thumbnails' must be unchecked. I have one machine using W10 Professional where this works, but a machine with W10 Home, same build, same release, does not have that option. How can I get previews? left image...
  9. .png files in file explorer on W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .png files in file explorer on W10: hello, when you make a .png file filled with white pixels and transparent pixels, save it in a folder and look at the folder in the File Explorer, you get your .png file with black pixels instead of transparent pixels, and that's good. Now if you replace all white pixels...
  10. OneDrive disappeared from file explorer in W10

OneDrive disappeared from file explorer in W10: Hey all, Preface: I had Windows 8.1 and I never used SkyDrive or, later, OneDrive, but since it's so inbred with Windows 10, I wanted to at least check it out. Especially after all of Microsoft's hype and the $16 Billion they poured into cloud research. I also have a...