Windows 10: File Explorer annoying behavior

Discus and support File Explorer annoying behavior in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.8.36) I'm new .. I've been looking through forum after forum and cannot find resolution to a specific problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Trom, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Trom Win User

File Explorer annoying behavior

Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.8.36)

I'm new .. I've been looking through forum after forum and cannot find resolution to a specific problem. My job includes LOTS of email with attachments, and a couple of months ago, I began to notice annoying behavior that didn't occur previously.

When I save an attachment, an explorer window appears prompting me to select the save location. The navigation pane will automatically highlight the last directory I was using. However, if I scroll up or down, and expand a different directory, (not double click to show contents in file list, but expand +) then the navigation pane will jump back to the highlighted last used directory, which is often off screen, making me scroll back to where I want to be.

I've seen and tried history deletion suggestions such as registry settings, group settings, batch files, none seem to work for this specific problem, and I truly hate it when Windows wins and I lose. Does anyone have a solution to make Explorer quit jumping back to last used directory?

:)

2. Paultx Win User

Seeking ways to change this File Explorer behavior

When browsing folders to check/edit their contents using the Details view option, I notice that File Explorer has the following behavior:

- I open a folder then go back

- File Explorer puts that last visited folder in its bottom

When browsing folders that way, one goes most of times from top to bottom, so I think File Explorer should position the last visited folder on the top of the list. Putting it on the bottom is somewhat annoying.

Is there a way to change that? TIA.

Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.959

Paultx, Sep 16, 2020
  3. File explorer not searching in This PC

Hi George,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Justdave Win User

Wierd File Explorer Behavior

Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. Whenever I right click on a shortcut and select 'Open File Location' of course File Explorer opens up as it should to the location that the shortcut points to. The weird thing is that when I close File Explorer, it immediately reopens and I have to close it again for it to stay closed. This does not happen if I merely open File Explorer directly. To eliminate the possibility that it is a problem with my mouse I repeated these steps using only the keyboard to navigate through these steps...still happens. It would be interesting to see if this is a problem only with my system or is it a Windows 10 10240 glitch.

Justdave, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

1. File Explorer annoying behavior - Similar Threads - File Explorer annoying

2. Insane behavior by file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Insane behavior by file explorer.: I make a copy of a folder. Inside the copy, I make changes to files, create graphics, etc. for work.I accidentally hit Ctrl + z while the focus is on file explorer instead my graphics program.What happens? THE ENTIRE FOLDER DISAPPEARS. Why? This apparently "undid" the copy...
  3. Insane behavior by file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Insane behavior by file explorer.: I make a copy of a folder. Inside the copy, I make changes to files, create graphics, etc. for work.I accidentally hit Ctrl + z while the focus is on file explorer instead my graphics program.What happens? THE ENTIRE FOLDER DISAPPEARS. Why? This apparently "undid" the copy...
  4. HORRID BEHAVIOR OF FILE EXPLORER.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HORRID BEHAVIOR OF FILE EXPLORER.: What is the corporate strategic end game for Microsoft refusing to fix the horrid behavior of File Explorer? This among a handful of other totally annoying and disruptive behaviors in MS Word and MS Excel just seem to be ignored by each successive generation of development...
  5. File Explorer annoyance

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer annoyance: I have 2 W10 pro systems as listed in my systems. One of them (laptop) has a annoying problem when using File Explorer. The issue is when selecting a sub directory in the left window, and then moving the cursor to the right window does not scroll the file list. If you scroll,...
  6. Annoying Internet Explorer file...

in Browsers and Email
    Annoying Internet Explorer file...: (I don't use Internet Explorer, I've always had it 'disabled' in the 'Add/remove Windows Components' section...) Recently, I've noticed a file (see attached screenshot) that constantly keeps reappearing/regenerating itself even after cleaning (I use CCleaner). I just...
  7. Increasingly annoying network behavior...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Increasingly annoying network behavior...: In the last couple of days Windows 10 (on an MS Surface Pro 4) starts to seriously annoy me! Again and again I suddenly can't get a network connection! In such situation WiFi is typically disabled and refuses to be activated (i.e. no matter how often I click the icon, it...
  8. Annoying sleep behavior

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Annoying sleep behavior: Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex 980 desktop and everything runs smooth with Windows 10. I do have a problem with sleep. The PC goes to sleep after 60 minutes as it's set to. Upon waking it up if I do not keep using keyboard or mouse it goes right back to sleep within a...
  9. Wierd File Explorer Behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    Wierd File Explorer Behavior: Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. Whenever I right click on a shortcut and select 'Open File Location' of course File Explorer opens up as it should to the location that the shortcut points to. The weird thing is that when I close File Explorer, it...
  10. File explorer annoyance

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer annoyance: I took the option to upgrade from W7 quite early on and in the main I am a happy bunny - really liked W7/hated W8 although it had some meat features. I think W10 gives the best of both worlds but there is one thing that really bugs me ... triplication of folders showing in...