Windows 10: File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders

Discus and support File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yea, the topic name sounds very in-depth and confusing haha, so let me elaborate. Sometimes I download wallpaper images, and Properly rename them so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Sep 29, 2016.

1. pepanee Win User

File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders

Yea, the topic name sounds very in-depth and confusing haha, so let me elaborate.

Sometimes I download wallpaper images, and Properly rename them so they don't have so much useless info in the filename. When I am renaming the files, sometimes I would rename a file that has the same name as a file that already has that name, so File Explorer tells me to rename it with adding "(2)" to the end of the file name. When that happens, I would like File Explorer to automatically rename the first one to have a "(1)" at the end of its filename.

Let's take an example:
    There's an image that I renamed to Buildings.jpg. I will eventually run into another picture that I want to name as Buildings.jpg. When I do that, a question pops up asking me if it's ok to rename the file as Buildings (2).jpg. I say sure, why not bro? Then it gets renamed to that: Buildings (2).jpg. That is awesome, yet File Explorer categorizes this file name and places it above Buildings.jpg:

Buildings (2).jpg
    Buildings (3).jpg (this is where the third one gets placed)
    Buildings (4).jpg (this is where the fourth one gets placed)
    Buildings.jpg

Notice how strange that looks? The first one is at the end of the list. I don't prefer that; I'd like consecutive files to be placed numerically under Buildings.jpg, hence:

Buildings.jpg
    Buildings (2).jpg
    Buildings (3).jpg
    Buildings (4).jpg
    etc...

But that doesn't happen. So I found an awesome trick which in a way I do prefer over my original idea; here's the naming layout that is sweet:

Buildings (1).jpg
    Buildings (2).jpg
    Buildings (3).jpg
    Buildings (4).jpg
    etc...

I rename the first one with a (1) at the end of the name.

So my question is:
    Is there some method that will notice this rename and rename the first one by automatically adding a (1) at the end of it, instead of having me do it manually?

Thanks so much!

:)

pepanee, Sep 29, 2016

2. Win10 File Explorer will not allow naming a new folder

Just downloaded Windows 10. In File Explorer I tried to create a new folder, but could not enter a name. The box closed and reverted to New Folder. Tried Rename, but box closed after entering first letter. Also in list of folders, keeps auto scrolling to
    top.

Edit:

Link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t-rename/3d93fe8a-6041-4d2b-97a0-8fd7cc4f1a2d

Title:

File Explorer will not rename

Just downloaded Windows 10. In File Explorer I tried to create a new folder, but could not enter a name. The box closed and reverted to New Folder. Tried Rename, but box closed after entering first letter.
    Also in list of folders, keeps auto scrolling to top.

No color problems, so do not understand first reply.

AngusScully, Sep 29, 2016
  3. File Explorer - Auto Sort

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you faced. We certainly help you with this issue.
    I want to inform you When you disable auto arrange, and either unzip a file in a folder, move a folder, or rename a folder, it will refresh and auto arrange the files in that specific folder only after each time you do this. Auto arrange is still disabled
    for that folder, but you will need to arrange the files back to whatever non-auto arranged order you like again after unzipping a file in a folder, move a folder, or rename a folder.

I would suggest you to follow the below link to fix issue.

Follow the link:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/files-folders-windows-explorer

Note: It is also applicable for windows 10 as well.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Sep 29, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

In the grand scheme of things Windows uses the file name and if 2 or more identical will start naming using special characters which puts the actual name at the bottom of the list. Best way is to name it yourself if given the opportunity but I do find myself in File Explorer a lot renaming the automatic saves as desired. By identical it is meant every character in the original file name shows as the same for 2 or more files hence the need to make something different as no 2 exactly-named files can exist in a Folder [Directory on Win3.x and MS-DOS 6.22 and earlier]. The Folder names changed with Win95. Yeah, I know, technicalities but I learned with DOS and Win3.x in '92 and had to start relearning with Win95.

Berton, Sep 29, 2016
  5. pepanee Win User
    But you can see how that doesn't really look right. I guess Microsoft kept the whole naming process referring to the old skool layout.
    Yet is there some Windows modification/3rd party app that can do it for me automatically?

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders - Similar Threads - File Explorer Auto

2. File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?: I have a large Folder with lots of Sub-Folers. When I create and then rename a New folder in File Explorer, the file jumps to the alphabetical position it should be located and disappears from within the window I have open and I then have to scroll up or down until I find it....
  3. File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?: I have a large Folder with lots of Sub-Folers. When I create and then rename a New folder in File Explorer, the file jumps to the alphabetical position it should be located and disappears from within the window I have open and I then have to scroll up or down until I find it....
  4. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  5. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  6. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: System Folders Rename: Hello,Can someone help me how to remove this folder, it was "downloads" but it changed to "music".How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-system-folders-rename/6865b745-746d-4a69-9ae7-782d2906c01e
  7. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: System Folders Rename: Hello,Can someone help me how to remove this folder, it was "downloads" but it changed to "music".How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-system-folders-rename/6865b745-746d-4a69-9ae7-782d2906c01e
  8. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

9. Is there a quick way to rename all files within a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a quick way to rename all files within a folder?: Is there a quick way to rename files within a folder? In my situation, all of the files have a date, that I update quarterly. Currently, I painstakingly select F2, End, and then rename the part of the date portion. So for example, if the folder had 12 files consisting of...
  10. Organizing Folders in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Organizing Folders in File Explorer: Hi! I am having problems organizing Folders and Files within my Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer. I need to manually change the order the files are displayed—top to bottom. I need this order to be different than any of the auto 'sort by' selections. For example, I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. auto file explorer organization