Windows 10: File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?

Discus and support File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a large Folder with lots of Sub-Folers. When I create and then rename a New folder in File Explorer, the file jumps to the alphabetical position... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DWP Industries Inc., Oct 19, 2023.

1. File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?

I have a large Folder with lots of Sub-Folers. When I create and then rename a New folder in File Explorer, the file jumps to the alphabetical position it should be located and disappears from within the window I have open and I then have to scroll up or down until I find it. Is there a setting to change that will cause File Explorer to automatically move to the location of the new folder so that I do not need to scroll to find it?

:)

DWP Industries Inc., Oct 19, 2023

2. Windows 11 File Explorer Renames folders when I copy them to a new location

Thanks for your response. Regarding your suggestions:

Please check if these files may not be files, but shortcuts. The items in the folders were definitely files and not shortcuts.

Then check the permissions of these files. Right click on the folder - Properties - Security - click on your account - check "Full control" below - OK Checked several of the folders that I was working with and all of them already had full control listed.

I didn't yet try the Windows scan suggestions. I hesitate to do something that requires a disclaimer right now as I have a lot going on and don't have time to worry about losing any files (though having everything backed up is one of the reasons I consolidate/rename/move all newly downloaded files). I may attempt this at a later time if the problem continues as it's creating extra work.

Some additional info regarding the renaming error:

1. I have used these processes for years, and I have never had this problem until recently. The only thing that I can see that is different is that I am now using a fairly new laptop with Windows 11, but even with that, there was no issue with renaming until about a week ago. I can't think of anything that I could have changed to cause this as I haven't been mucking about in any settings.
    2. Once the folder is in its new location, with the wrong name, I can rename it again and it stays that way. So I can work around this error, but it adds several steps to the process.
    3. Update - I worked on some folders again just now and I checked the Full control checkbox before I began (it was checked). I had the same issue. I renamed a folder containing several files, I slid that folder (copied) into a new location in a different instance of File Explorer, and the file name changed to a former name the folder had. I renamed it again and slid this copy into a third instance of File Explorer and into a different location still, and the copy of the folder renamed itself to the same former name as before. As an experiment, I took another folder (Fall-Icons-LoveSVG-com; full control checked) and slid (copied) into the same instance of File Explorer but a different location - the same rename error occurred; the name changed to Fall_Ornaments, which was the original folder name after I downloaded it. I deleted that copy and tried moving (instead of copying) the folder to that location, but it also renamed to Fall_Ornaments. I then tried renaming it in the new location and copied and then later moved it back to my original folder and both times it renamed the folder to the original Fall_Ornaments name. So any move or copy seems to trigger the renaming.
    Regarding the search issue suggestion, I did go in and check the "Do not use indexes" box in Search options. Since that search issue is an intermittent problem, it my be a while before I know whether that helped.

Did you have any thoughts about File Explorer crashing after right-clicking? I am so used to right-clicking that I have to make myself think to do some tasks a different way (to avoid having to right-click). When I want to install a font for all users, however, I don't know a second way to access that menu option, so I am forced to right-click and hope it doesn't crash.

Thanks again,

Pam

PamelaBreedlove, Oct 19, 2023
  3. Win10 File Explorer will not allow naming a new folder

Just downloaded Windows 10. In File Explorer I tried to create a new folder, but could not enter a name. The box closed and reverted to New Folder. Tried Rename, but box closed after entering first letter. Also in list of folders, keeps auto scrolling to
    top.

Edit:

Link:

Redirecting

Title:

File Explorer will not rename

Just downloaded Windows 10. In File Explorer I tried to create a new folder, but could not enter a name. The box closed and reverted to New Folder. Tried Rename, but box closed after entering first letter.
    Also in list of folders, keeps auto scrolling to top.

No color problems, so do not understand first reply.

AngusScully, Oct 19, 2023
  4. danwca Win User

File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?

can not rename a folder

after accidentally deleting some registry keys, something happens to my windows, here is the description:

1. in explorer, create a folder, and type a new name for "new folder", after hitting "enter", an error message window shows "Can't find the specified file; make sure you specify the correct path and file name"; click the button "Cancel", a message box shows "The file or folder does not exist", click the button "Ok"; then the folder leave as "new folder"
    2. in explorer, rename a folder, and the same thing happens.
    3. in cmd, ren "new folder" "anything", it works.
    4. in explorer, can not drag and drop a folder
    so, I can use cmd to create and rename a folder.

any suggestions to fix the registry are appreciated.

Thanks,

danwca, Oct 19, 2023
Thema:

File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?

1. File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location? - Similar Threads - File Explorer Auto

2. File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer. Auto Snap to new renamed folder location?: I have a large Folder with lots of Sub-Folers. When I create and then rename a New folder in File Explorer, the file jumps to the alphabetical position it should be located and disappears from within the window I have open and I then have to scroll up or down until I find it....
  3. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  4. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  5. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: System Folders Rename: Hello,Can someone help me how to remove this folder, it was "downloads" but it changed to "music".How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-system-folders-rename/6865b745-746d-4a69-9ae7-782d2906c01e
  6. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: System Folders Rename: Hello,Can someone help me how to remove this folder, it was "downloads" but it changed to "music".How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-system-folders-rename/6865b745-746d-4a69-9ae7-782d2906c01e
  7. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

8. Windows 11 File Explorer Renames folders when I copy them to a new location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Renames folders when I copy them to a new location: I have some folders of items I have downloaded and renamed to suit my needs. When I try to slide those folders into a new location using File Explorer Windows 11, the folders show up in the new location with their previous names. For example, I downloaded and unzipped some...
  9. Windows 11 File Explorer Renames folders when I copy them to a new location

Windows 11 File Explorer Renames folders when I copy them to a new location: I have some folders of items I have downloaded and renamed to suit my needs. When I try to slide those folders into a new location using File Explorer Windows 11, the folders show up in the new location with their previous names. For example, I downloaded and unzipped some...
  10. File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders: Yea, the topic name sounds very in-depth and confusing haha, so let me elaborate. Sometimes I download wallpaper images, and Properly rename them so they don't have so much useless info in the filename. When I am renaming the files, sometimes I would rename a file that has...