Windows 10: File explorer cannot delete files

Discus and support File explorer cannot delete files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since I got my pc, I am unable to delete any of the files I have temporarily downloaded on it. The download option is grayed out, and so is move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PriyanshD, Mar 30, 2021.

1. PriyanshD Win User

File explorer cannot delete files

Ever since I got my pc, I am unable to delete any of the files I have temporarily downloaded on it. The download option is grayed out, and so is move to Recycle Bin. The files are taking up unnecessary space in my computer. Please assist with the same. File explorer cannot delete files aae88edc-e0d2-43d3-a3dd-0898d0448c3a?upload=true.png

:)

PriyanshD, Mar 30, 2021

2. Cant Delete Files From Desktop

Well, ran into a weird bug with vista, for some reason i cant delete files from desktop, this normaly happens to .exe files, the ONLY fix seems to be to KILL explorer.exe, and delete the file, then restat explorer, anybody got any idea why this happens?

Rebo&Zooty, Mar 30, 2021
  3. temp02 Win User
    Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

It's an .exe right? Explorer probably read its icon (to a cache) when it was a "small" file and now call the quits when it finds "such a big" file.

If you want to delete it, use the console after killing explorer, you can run the console from TaskManager (Application -> New Task -> cmd). You might want to try copy the file to a different location (copy, not cut) and see if explorer can handle it in the new location before deleting it.

temp02, Mar 30, 2021
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Mar 30, 2021
Thema:

1. File explorer cannot delete files - Similar Threads - File explorer cannot

2. Cannot delete files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete files: I have a backup on my portable drive, where some files cannot be deleted, not with WinRar nor renaming at the Command Prompt either, they cannot be renamed in any method. These are system files for F.Fox. In this folder I have had several files that belongs to the long file...
  3. Cannot delete files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete files: I have a backup on my portable drive, where some files cannot be deleted, not with WinRar nor renaming at the Command Prompt either, they cannot be renamed in any method. These are system files for F.Fox. In this folder I have had several files that belongs to the long file...
  4. Teams files File explorer icon cannot be deleted after Teams team deleted.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Teams files File explorer icon cannot be deleted after Teams team deleted.: Hello there!Background: I have created a Teams team and started using its Files function. To make it easier to reach it and transfer files, I have made it appear in File explorer by clicking Sync in the teams interface.After a while, I have decided to delete the...
  5. Cannot delete file.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete file.: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/ehsf6bfozi851.png?width=357&format=png&auto=webp&s=b484c137d909e935316141ddfb9f2a578728aef1 Before you ask, yes, i've tried changing the owner on the folder and no, it doesn't help at all. This is a screenshot of the file itself, I'm the...
  6. Cannot delete File

Cannot delete File: Hi everyone I have been having some issues deleting a certain file from my computer. The image below shows the type of File as File, I have tried using command prompt, disk clean up, disk check for errors and plenty of other methods and yet it cannot be deleted. When I...
  7. Delete a file in file explorer.

Delete a file in file explorer.: What setting do I not have correct. I simply want to delete a file that is incorrect. I tried to replace it with a corrected version, but now I have two files with the same name and cannot select the correct one. And when I right click, or simply select delete, nothing...
  8. Windows Explorer - cannot delete files

Windows Explorer - cannot delete files: Windows explorer does not respond to pressing the Delete button with the subject file highlighted. Also, the command buttons "Recycle" and "Permanently delete" do not work. I have to use powershell to delete any files. Please advise....
  9. Cannot delete file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot delete file: I use gvim to edit a file named "expr.ml" and somehow another file named "expr.ml~" appears beside "expr.ml". I tried to delete "expr.ml~" but with no luck. I've tried: Right click > Delete. It says "Preparing to cancel" (Cancel what?!) while at the same time "Preparing...
  10. Can't delete file in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete file in file explorer: I have a memory card in my phone that allows me to move large picture files to my laptop. Once in file explorer, it only allows me to copy and paste the files onto my laptop. The "cut" and "delete" options are grayed out. This memory card is quickly filling up b/c I am...