Windows 10: File Explorer cannot locate folder.

Discus and support File Explorer cannot locate folder. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an application folder created inside Program Data, i.e path C:/ProgramData/AppName. I am able to access files located at this path from code.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by UrjaPatel1, Oct 11, 2019.

1. File Explorer cannot locate folder.

I have an application folder created inside Program Data, i.e path C:/ProgramData/AppName.

I am able to access files located at this path from code. Physically Folder exists, but when going to that path from File Explorer it does not show that folder.

I tried following steps to get to that folder, but couldn't get any success.

1. Checking and getting path from code, files and folders at that path exists.

2. "Windows Key + R" Run -> C:/ProgramData/AppName it shows error "C:/ProgramData/AppName is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

3. Go to task manager -> File -> Run New Task -> Write "C:/ProgramData/AppName" -> Check Mark "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Go to ProgramData folder, AppName folder cannot be found.

4. Go to Command Prompt, execute command "cd C:/ProgramData/AppName" it shows error ""The system cannot find the path specified."

5. Checking Directory information from code,

if (Directory.Exists("C:/ProgramData/AppName"))
    {
    var th = new DirectoryInfo(path);
    var attribute = th.Attributes;
    }

th.Attributes shows "65552" value, while checking for other folders inside ProgramData it shows th.Attributes value System.IO.FileAttributes.Directory.

How do I go to this path phsically from File Explorer?

Previously I was able to go that path From File Explorer, Now I dont know what went wrong I am unable to go to that path.

:)

UrjaPatel1, Oct 11, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Oct 11, 2019
  3. Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Oct 11, 2019
  4. File Explorer cannot locate folder.

Windows 10 - Homegroup - Cannot share Folders or files + Error 0x80004005 (renaming of folders)

Thanks for getting back, Sanjiv. It seems that the users were not configured to have full control of those folders you want to share. We suggest going into the Advanced settings of your File Explorer and adjust the permissions. Follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Locate the folder you want to have full access.
    • Right-click it and select Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click Edit to change the permissions.

Once done, try sharing the folders again.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer cannot locate folder.

1. File Explorer cannot locate folder. - Similar Threads - File Explorer cannot

2. File Explorer "Fixed" Folder Locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer "Fixed" Folder Locations: I'm a little confused about the folders that are "fixed" in file explorer. In the picture below, you can see in the upper left corner, above my pinned folder, there are some folders there that seem to be permanent. This is fine, but I used to have my video folder there too. I...
  3. File Explorer "Fixed" Folder Locations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer "Fixed" Folder Locations: I'm a little confused about the folders that are "fixed" in file explorer. In the picture below, you can see in the upper left corner, above my pinned folder, there are some folders there that seem to be permanent. This is fine, but I used to have my video folder there too. I...
  4. Cannot locate Downloads Folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot locate Downloads Folder in File Explorer: I have Windows 11 Home.I cannot locate the Downloads Folder in File Explorer anymore.I accidentally unpinned it.How do I get it back?I want to pin the Desktop folder and the Downloads folder actually.Thanks...
  5. Cannot locate Downloads Folder in File Explorer

Cannot locate Downloads Folder in File Explorer: I have Windows 11 Home.I cannot locate the Downloads Folder in File Explorer anymore.I accidentally unpinned it.How do I get it back?I want to pin the Desktop folder and the Downloads folder actually.Thanks...
  6. Cannot retrieve default file location of folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot retrieve default file location of folder: Suddenly, my OneDrive started syncing with everything in m desktop including the folders. I tried restoring the default folder and it says "Can't move folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access denied." So I transferred all the...
  7. Cannot retrieve default file location of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot retrieve default file location of folder: Suddenly, my OneDrive started syncing with everything in m desktop including the folders. I tried restoring the default folder and it says "Can't move folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access denied." So I transferred all the...
  8. Cannot retrieve default file location of folder

9. Folders in File Explorer do not go to the proper location

Folders in File Explorer do not go to the proper location: When opening one of the folder under This PC in File Explorer still do not go to the proper location on my drive.Instead of going to C:\users\[username]\[Folder Name] it goes to This PC\[Folder Name], so the Up Folder button doesn't work as intended and it doesn't match the...
  10. File Explorer "cannot find" location of file

File Explorer "cannot find" location of file: This problem started just a few days ago: The app has its icon on the task bar but now defaults to Windows can't locate file...?. I can go C:\Programs Files x86...; click on .exe and even then I get same error msg., I can execute same approach on any other app and it works...