Windows 10: File Explorer causes icon flicker.

Discus and support File Explorer causes icon flicker. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a cleanly installed Windows 10 2004 on my machine. Accessing file explorer from a browser (Chrome or Edge) like downloading or uploading a file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Kol12, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Kol12 Win User

File Explorer causes icon flicker.

I have a cleanly installed Windows 10 2004 on my machine. Accessing file explorer from a browser (Chrome or Edge) like downloading or uploading a file causes icons on the task bar and desktop to flicker. Does anyone else have this with Win 10 2004?

:)

Kol12, Sep 17, 2020

2. File explorer flickering

Not sure how to explain this.

When in Windows explorer I'll be looking at a list of files in the"details" listing method. When i run my mouse up and down the list of files the type in the file names flickers or jumps around if you will.

No idea why. I shot a short video from my phone

Thanks

TandDHrezik, Sep 17, 2020
  3. AlanR246 Win User
    Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Sep 17, 2020
  4. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

1. File Explorer causes icon flicker. - Similar Threads - File Explorer causes

2. File explorer flickering in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer flickering in windows 11: Hi,since I built my new PC in november 2022 and installed Windows 11 I'm facing with flickering and black windows in the following scenarios:File explorerInstallation of program/appInternet navigationWhen I opened a new window sometime the window became black, same during the...
  3. File explorer flickering in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer flickering in windows 11: Hi,since I built my new PC in november 2022 and installed Windows 11 I'm facing with flickering and black windows in the following scenarios:File explorerInstallation of program/appInternet navigationWhen I opened a new window sometime the window became black, same during the...
  4. Flickering File Explorer

Flickering File Explorer: Hello!My PC runs 64 Bit Windows 10. For the past five days, I have been having trouble with File Explorer. Whenever I click any folder to open, it flickers. It is so annoying. Attaching a link with a short video of the issue....
  5. Flickering File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flickering File Explorer: Hello!My PC runs 64 Bit Windows 10. For the past five days, I have been having trouble with File Explorer. Whenever I click any folder to open, it flickers. It is so annoying. Attaching a link with a short video of the issue....
  6. Flickering File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Icons are flickering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icons are flickering: When I open JPG or PNG files, the shortcut icons on the desktop and taskbar start flickering. I checked the issue in the Task manager and saw that everythingis OK but the CPU is overloaded. To fix the issue, I should reboot - this is the only remedy...
  8. File explorer flickering

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer flickering: Not sure how to explain this. When in Windows explorer I'll be looking at a list of files in the"details" listing method. When i run my mouse up and down the list of files the type in the file names flickers or jumps around if you will. No idea why. I shot a short video...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer Flickering

Windows 10 File Explorer Flickering: Windows 10 file explorer is flashing. An image does not do it justice. What could be causing this? Thank you - Marty Robbins 65342
  10. Start Button and Hidden Icons cause screen Flickering

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button and Hidden Icons cause screen Flickering: I have a problem that has just started over the last week or so. If I hover my mouse over the start button on my Windows 10 machine, the entire screen flickers. I am still able to click on the links on the toolbar most of the time. Sometimes when I click on a link on the...