Windows 10: File Explorer changing both location name in "This PC"

Discus and support File Explorer changing both location name in "This PC" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Before they were both named "E:" I do not know why, after I migrated OS and all files to the new NVMe M.2 drive and formatted the old HDD then moved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndyBoyee, Jan 25, 2019.

1. AndyBoyee Win User

File Explorer changing both location name in "This PC"

Before they were both named "E:" I do not know why, after I migrated OS and all files to the new NVMe M.2 drive and formatted the old HDD then moved some files back onto the HDD these two names just changed. I now know one is supposed to be named Videos and the other Pictures. What I did to get one of them named correctly was, I right click on the Pictures icon one then >Properties >Location and then reset location to default, which changed it from E: to C:\Users\"My Username"\Pictures. Clicked apply and ok. That solved the naming for the "Pictures" icon but also changed the "Videos" icon name to Pictures too.

Repeated the steps of going into properties for the "Videos" icon but when I click set default location, it gave the same location for the pictures only, which is C:\Users\"My Username"\Pictures. If I type it in manually to try and change the location to C:\Users\"My Username"\Videos, and apply it, it now changes both of them to "Videos".

How do i reset the default location for the "Videos" icon so it will only rename that icon to Videos and not rename both?

File Explorer changing both location name in "This PC" d3ef7397-5cfc-4883-abb5-12ed3e363563?upload=true.jpg

:)

AndyBoyee, Jan 25, 2019

2. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Jan 25, 2019
  3. How to change location of MSI????.tmp file

Hi,

You may change the location of the .tmp file by following the steps provided below:

• Go to This PC.
    • Right-click This PC, and then select Advanced System Setting.
    • Click Environment Variables.
    • Under system variable, double-click tmp and change the path for the file of your reference.

If the location still can't be changed, we suggest that you post it on our
    MSDN forum
    . We have highly technical users and IT professionals there that can address your concern.

Feel free to contact us if you have other concerns.

Dennis Mop, Jan 25, 2019
  4. File Explorer changing both location name in "This PC"

File Explorer default veiw setting Win 10 Pro

Hi Bob,

You can change the default settings of your File Explorer view. If you would like to sort it by Date, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Go to Start, type File Explorer.
    • Select View located at the top of the address bar.
    • Locate Sort by.
    • Select Date.
    • Choose between Ascending and Descending.
    • Close the File Explorer and check back if the changes applied.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Ronalene Mat, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer changing both location name in "This PC"

1. File Explorer changing both location name in "This PC" - Similar Threads - File Explorer changing

2. how to change user name folder name in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change user name folder name in file explorer: Initiated Windows in new computer with W11 pre-installed. would like to change user name to my initials, as the user name is first 4 letters in my outlook mail name...
  3. how to change user name folder name in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change user name folder name in file explorer: Initiated Windows in new computer with W11 pre-installed. would like to change user name to my initials, as the user name is first 4 letters in my outlook mail name...
  4. Files name wrong after changing location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files name wrong after changing location: Hello I need help on my problem. Recently I change all my file location in my PC Such as Documents, Desktop, Downloads,.. etc from C: storage to D: storage. I find it strange because all the files are namely wrong and had the same name. Like, the Desktop and the Download...
  5. File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations

File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations: I have many similar files created from templates. They are in an indexed location. When I search in File Explorer they ALL appear in the search results due to their content. Sometimes I want to search through just the file names, not the content, in an indexed location....
  6. Issues with change in location in FILE EXPLORER..........

Issues with change in location in FILE EXPLORER..........: hi, I am using windows 10 product. I have issues with my file explorer......... THERE ARE 2 MAIN ISSUES: 1 the location of my documents folder is missing in users.[ATTACH] So here only a shortcut of documents present. original file is not moved or deleted. but still...
  7. How to change name of file in File Explorer

How to change name of file in File Explorer: How do I change a file name in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-name-of-file-in-file-explorer/6be3d880-de63-4e08-9d6c-8be4edc13c0a"
  8. Change user name in file explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change user name in file explorer: New computer. Hastily set it up two days ago and have found that in file explorer there is a user named "Bogey" that appears to be the main user along with all of the associated files, and I have no clue how it happened that way. However, my first name, as administrator, is...
  9. Name in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Name in File Explorer: Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name. It used to show my surname in Windows 7. Is is it possible to change it, please? 24628
  10. "Hibernate" file name and location

in Windows 10 Support
    "Hibernate" file name and location: What, if any, is the name and location of the file that hibernates Windows, please? I understand that hibernation can be initiated via "shutdown /h" but that's not what I seek. Thanks. 22140