Windows 10: File explorer closes and all my taskbar icons disappear then come back, but most programs I...

Discus and support File explorer closes and all my taskbar icons disappear then come back, but most programs I... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'll be perusing files (different folders and different files) and try to select a file, then my desktop background shows up and all my icons on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Confusal, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Confusal Win User

File explorer closes and all my taskbar icons disappear then come back, but most programs I...

I'll be perusing files (different folders and different files) and try to select a file, then my desktop background shows up and all my icons on the taskbar disappear for about ten seconds. When they come back, only Chrome and Edge are still open, but explorer and any other photos, word docs, excel, and probably other programs are closed.

I have windows 10 with all the updates automatically set. I've rebooted a couple times since I first recall seeing this happen, and it doesn't help.

I'm running an ASUS laptop that I paid about $1,500 for, so I'm not on some slow old machine with no memory.

Any suggestions, besides buy a mac?

:)

Confusal, Nov 30, 2018

2. File Explorer icon disappears from Taskbar

The File Explorer icon in the Start Menu indicates it is already pinned to the Taskbar even when it has disappeared. Clicking on Unpin from Taskbar and then immediately clicking on Pin to Taskbar causes it to reappear, but only temporarily. After that it periodically disappears and reappears just as before.

BillPierce, Nov 30, 2018
  3. File Explorer icon disappears from Taskbar

SFC found no problems apart from the aforementioned WinHlp32.exe.

I do seem to be slightly closer to tracing a possible cause of the problem. If the File Explorer icon has disappeared from the Taskbar, closing Outlook 2007 will cause it to reappear, although it will later randomly disappear regardless of whether Outlook 2007 is open. In that case, reopening and closing Outlook 2007 will cause the icon to reappear, even if it later randomly disappears. So I have found a way to make the icon reappear, even if I can't identify what makes it disappear.

It all seems mighty strange. What is the best way to report this behavior to Microsoft?

BillPierce, Nov 30, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

File explorer closes and all my taskbar icons disappear then come back, but most programs I...

File Explorer icon disappears from Taskbar

You can try to pin it from start menu as shown, just right click on "File Explorer". Since I've already had it pinned to taskbar, the option on yours would be "pin to taskbar":

File explorer closes and all my taskbar icons disappear then come back, but most programs I... [​IMG]

topgundcp, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer closes and all my taskbar icons disappear then come back, but most programs I... - Similar Threads - File explorer closes

2. File Explorer icon on TASKBAR

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer icon on TASKBAR: I clicked "something" and the File Explorer icon has disappeared. Can't find how to reactivate and pin it to the taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-icon-on-taskbar/aa43e35f-8e49-4f9f-b66b-7465e1862762
  3. all my programs and files disappeared and I can't find help to get it back...Please help if...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    all my programs and files disappeared and I can't find help to get it back...Please help if...: I did an update and all my information, files, and programs disappeared... I read through the forum for answers and it looks like I got logged on with a "temporary profile". I don't know how to get it back to my old settings as it won't let me use the same login name. I...
  4. File Explorer Icon from Taskbar disappears after added to domain.

File Explorer Icon from Taskbar disappears after added to domain.: I have an issue where the file explorer icon disappears from the Taskbar once I add a computer to the domain. It is located in our default domain policy as soon as its added to the domain, but i cant see any policy that has to do with Startup or Taskbar settings. Can someone...
  5. Customizing a program's taskbar icon (for all instances)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customizing a program's taskbar icon (for all instances): I want to customize the icon of a certain program (in this case Firefox). There are many instructions on how to supposedly achieve this by e.g. simply going to any shortcut (in Explorer or Desktop), Properties, Change Icon. Then pinning this shortcut to taskbar puts the...
  6. file explorer icon on taskbar

file explorer icon on taskbar: My "file explorer icon" has disappeared from my taskbar. don't know how or when. where do I find it or how do I put it back there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/file-explorer-icon-on-taskbar/393db9be-718c-4052-92b0-e76ac3d3052c
  7. My taskbar icons keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Support
    My taskbar icons keep disappearing: I setup my most used programs by pinning them to the taskbar. However they randomly disappear, all of them. Is this a known problem and if so is it easily fixed? 61313
  8. Auto-hide taskbar working but most desktop icons disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto-hide taskbar working but most desktop icons disappeared: I had no problem to auto-hide taskbar on my desktop with Windows 10 PRO 64X ver. 1703 and to my surprise that most of my desktop icons disappeared. I don't want my desktop icons disapper on my monitor screen and how do I prevent them not to disappear even I move the slide to...
  9. Taskbar Icons Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Icons Disappeared: Back in November of 2015 I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. I run a two monitor setup. The taskbar icons used to appear on both of my monitors, but now only appear on my secondary. I've tried the option to have taskbar icons appear on all monitors. Doesn't work. I should add...
  10. File Explorer icon disappears from Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer icon disappears from Taskbar: I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 yesterday and overall I've been happy with it. However, I note one strange behavior: the File Explorer icon seems to disappear sometimes from the Taskbar. I created a Desktop shortcut for File Explorer, but when I right click on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer disappears after making a change

2. all of my programs on task bar closes at once

3. file explorer not working then all my icons disappear

4. icon disappears from task bar when program closed,
  5. when closing programme all icons dissapear from the task bar and then come back,
  6. file explorer documents not responding taskbar disappears and comes back