Windows 10: File Explorer consistently fails at random times, needs to be restarted

Discus and support File Explorer consistently fails at random times, needs to be restarted in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When doing file management in File Explorer sorting files and folders by dragging and dropping this works for a while, then stops; I can no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidHalbstein, Apr 24, 2020.

1. File Explorer consistently fails at random times, needs to be restarted

When doing file management in File Explorer sorting files and folders by dragging and dropping this works for a while, then stops; I can no longer drag, drop, or copy/paste or cut/paste. The only recourse is to open up the Task Manager, select Windows Explorer, then restart; or to restart from the command line.

Can this be a clipboard or buffering issue?

I have plenty of RAM 32 GB.

I have several drives on this computer - my system drive is a 500gb SSD; my working drives are 1TB 7200 RPM drives; this malfunction happens on any and all drives.

I do this maintenance a lot; I am a professor and I download multiple large student files; I place them in specific folders, unzip & rename them, and sort them so I can reference & store them.

I did try a solution offered by another member, which was to open a command-line window and type:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

But this did not fix the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

:)

DavidHalbstein, Apr 24, 2020
  2. blueworld Win User

File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups

Thanks for your reply.

Whatever "it" is exactly, all I know is, it does not behave consistently. This is so across multiple systems. Also, it isn't just recent items, but pinned items that fail to produce the popup on mouse over (when they should).

If the File Explorer setting you're referring to is "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items," I already have that turned on.

Based on my tests, I tend to think this is a bug. Did you try reproducing it?

1. Right click File Explorer in taskbar to open the jump list.
    2. Mouse over any of the pinned or recent folders and see if the popup with the location path appears (as shown in the screenshot with the original post).
    3. If it does appear, close out of the jump list by left clicking anywhere outside of it.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you find the popups not appearing. In my experience, it always occurs, even if not right away. And all too often when I need them most.

blueworld, Apr 24, 2020
  3. random restarts

Hi,

If a Windows computer random restarts, the device usually have some damaged system components. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to the device before this issue occurred?
    • What troubleshooting steps was already performed to your laptop?

In the meantime, it will be best to make sure that the latest update of Windows is installed on your device. If the same issue happens after installing Windows Update, we suggest running the power troubleshooter. To do so, follow these steps:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search bar at the upper-right corner, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting and then select System and Security.
    • Click on Power and then follow the prompts to successfully run the tool.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Apr 24, 2020
  4. blueworld Win User

File Explorer consistently fails at random times, needs to be restarted

File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups

Anyone else have this issue?

When right-clicking File Explorer in the taskbar, a jump list appears, showing pinned and recent folders or locations. Mousing over these items should cause a small text popup to appear above the item that shows the full system path of the location:

File Explorer consistently fails at random times, needs to be restarted [​IMG]

The problem is the popups do not appear consistently. In some instances, they'll appear, in others they simply won't. They either appear immediately or not at all. Repeatedly right clicking the File Explorer icon and checking, the popups may work several times consecutively before they don't. It seems completely random and unpredictable.

The reason the feature is important to me is I often work with different subfolders with the same name that are located in different parent folders. When I see multiple instances of these subfolders with the same name, there is no way to know which parent directory they're from unless the popups with the full path appears on mouse-over. Without the popups, it becomes a guessing game.

This behavior occurs on multiple computers running Windows 10. Some are upgrades from Windows 7. Others are brand new OEMs with Windows 10 pre-installed.

Any ideas?

blueworld, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer consistently fails at random times, needs to be restarted

1. File Explorer consistently fails at random times, needs to be restarted - Similar Threads - File Explorer consistently

2. How to restore Windows Explorer consistently after a restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore Windows Explorer consistently after a restart?: I notice that sometimes when you leave a Windows Explorer window running while shutting down or rebooting, that after the restart it comes back on the same folder it left off on. But other times it doesn't do that. How can I control this behavior manually?...
  3. How to restore Windows Explorer consistently after a restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore Windows Explorer consistently after a restart?: I notice that sometimes when you leave a Windows Explorer window running while shutting down or rebooting, that after the restart it comes back on the same folder it left off on. But other times it doesn't do that. How can I control this behavior manually?...
  4. How to restore Windows Explorer consistently after a restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  6. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  7. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. File Explorer needs clean up or restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer needs clean up or restart: My File Explorer left pane lists all folders 4 times in the leftnavigation?pane: under Quick Access and This PC and One Drive and Libraries. and a folder with my name. Why are the same files I've saved listed this way and how to fix or go back to original File Explorer in...
  9. I need to find what's randomly restarting Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    I need to find what's randomly restarting Explorer.: Recently, I've been having Explorer seemingly randomly restarting itself. Usually when I select and right click a bunch of files to copy, move etc. Two recent things that happened were a bit of annoying malware that got past Defender. Backing up a couple of restore points...
  10. windows FILE explorer crashing - not consistently

in Windows 10 Support
    windows FILE explorer crashing - not consistently: Hi Weird issue. When I try to perform a seach on an external HDD with boolean operators windows file explorer will freeze then crash. Similiarly If I simply go into a folder on an exteral HDD and select a file Sometime it will crash just when I double click on the file....