Windows 10: File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Discus and support File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I'm loving the new Windows 10! But this problem is really bugging me. Whenever I right-click a file anywhere on the Desktop, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by classic20, Aug 5, 2015.

1. classic20 Win User

File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Hello everyone!

I'm loving the new Windows 10! But this problem is really bugging me.

Whenever I right-click a file anywhere on the Desktop, the File Explorer crashes briefly and then comes right back up. This does not happen anywhere else, only on the Desktop.

I tried going to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/shellex/ContextMenuHandlers" with RegEdit and removing some of them, but to no avail.

Anything to point me in the right direction or any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance!

:)

classic20, Aug 5, 2015
  2. shuQin89 Win User

Window 10 file explorer

File Explorer Crashing After Right Click On Desktop in Windows 10

shuQin89, Aug 5, 2015
  3. CaseyRBB Win User
    Double-Click causes Remote Desktop to crash...

We have a remote work-station that crashes in Remote Desktop when a file is double-clicked or opened in file explorer of the remote desktop. Can you advise and provide possible causes and solutions to this problem?

To clarfiy:

1. Login into remote work-station using remote desktop

2. Open file explorer

3. Double-click, or right click on a file, and select open file

4. Remote Desktop crashes

We are able to log-in back into remote desktop and the work-station without either system crashing but, if the same procedure is done again, Remote Desktop will crash.

Thankfully,

Casey

CaseyRBB, Aug 5, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    NOTE: download version 1.97 or later, else Restart Explorer won't work in step 4

• This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    • From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu. Also put check marks as shown

File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop [​IMG]
    • Click on the screen, Hold down CTRL Key+A to select all then click on the red button on top left corner to disable all.
    • Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    • Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fixes your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 4 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

topgundcp, Aug 5, 2015
  5. classic20 Win User
    I have ShellExView downloaded already, but I didn't know how to properly use it. Thank you for that helpful link.
    I disabled all the "pink background" entries (installed by a third-party app) and it really did fix it (at least for the moment it seems).
    Thank you very much! *Biggrin

Note: It seems the "Restart Explorer" option doesn't work on ShellExView. It only closes File Explorer and leaves you with a black screen. For anyone having the same problem, I restarted File Explorer by going to Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and opening a new process "explorer.exe".

Thank you again Topgundcp! *cake

classic20, Aug 5, 2015
  6. vano Win User
    In Windows 7 IO have deleted entry from
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\BriefcaseMenu]\

Works immediately.

7. It seems that there's a bunch of misbehaving shell extensions for Windows 10, but...
    Here's what fixed this for me...
    Using the ShellEx program... ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    Through the process of elimination I disabled the SpyBot Search & Destroy Shell Extension, and, instant SUCCESS.
    Be Aware, I disabled this once, enabled it again and it continued to work properly until a reboot, then it was right back to where it was.

File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop [​IMG]

sthomas128, Mar 13, 2016
  8. KPM
    kpm Win User

Uninstalling MalwareBytes seemed to have fixed it for me.

9. fcasteve Win User
    I was having the right-click issue with Windows 10 File Explorer, too and found this thread. In addition, over time Explorer would become non-responsive when clicking the Start button. I downloaded ShellExView and through trial and error, found that the Carbonite context menu was the culprit. After disabling that, all is right with the world. Thank you for posting on this topic!!

fcasteve, Mar 21, 2016
  10. vandiere Win User
    Disabled SpyBot Search&Destroy in the context menu fixed my issue.

vandiere, Apr 2, 2016
  11. herono11 Win User
    thanks buddy. The spybot solution worked for me... much appreciated for doing the hard work

herono11, May 10, 2016
  12. You're Welcome.
    Glad It Helped...

sthomas128, May 10, 2016
  13. random Win User

Made a profile just to leave this comment: AVG was the culprit in my case, it seems to me that anti-virus programs seem to be the ones causing most of the problems, so I would use ShellExView as the others said and start by disabling the anti-virus context menu options. If that doesn't work, then you get to do them individually like topgundcp's link said.

random, May 17, 2016
  14. cdmjcdmj Win User
    Tried everything and saw this solution and uninstalled Malwarebytes and everything works fine. Malwarebytes is looking into it. Had me run some diagnostics and sent them the reports. Regardless, don't think I'll go back to using Malwarebytes.

cdmjcdmj, Jun 2, 2016
  15. drweirdo Win User
    Thanks for posting this tpoic. I disabled Format Factory context menu and all is good now.

drweirdo, Jun 7, 2016
Thema:

1. File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashes

2. File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click: Every time I try to open the context menu, my File Explorer crashes. I can open the legacy context menu using Shift+Right-Click through. My Windows have been fine, but the problem suddenly appeared, not after I installed some programs or update WindowsI had- Followed this...
  3. File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click: Every time I try to open the context menu, my File Explorer crashes. I can open the legacy context menu using Shift+Right-Click through. My Windows have been fine, but the problem suddenly appeared, not after I installed some programs or update WindowsI had- Followed this...
  4. Windows 11 right click crashes on file explorer and desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 right click crashes on file explorer and desktop: Everytime i right click on file explorer it crashes, everytime i right click on the desktop it crashes the desktop for a second and it works again. I've cleared my file explorer cache, i've tried the clean boot and use the CMD sfc /scannow but nothing seems to work, i dont...
  5. Windows 11 right click crashes on file explorer and desktop

Windows 11 right click crashes on file explorer and desktop: Everytime i right click on file explorer it crashes, everytime i right click on the desktop it crashes the desktop for a second and it works again. I've cleared my file explorer cache, i've tried the clean boot and use the CMD sfc /scannow but nothing seems to work, i dont...
  6. file Explorer on right click crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file Explorer on right click crashing: When I right click explorer automatically restart and I cannot delete files, creating folders and much more and I don't know how to repair it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-on-right-click-crashing/5043c183-2eb0-4734-a753-ca7b47ccb6f9
  7. file Explorer on right click crashing

file Explorer on right click crashing: When I right click explorer automatically restart and I cannot delete files, creating folders and much more and I don't know how to repair it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-on-right-click-crashing/5043c183-2eb0-4734-a753-ca7b47ccb6f9
  8. Windows Explorer crashing after right clicking on the desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer crashing after right clicking on the desktop: Windows Explorer is crashing whenever I right click on the desktop. I don't know what's going on, but I want to fix it. Does anyone know what's happening here, and a way to fix it?...
  9. Right clicking files crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right clicking files crashes File Explorer: The screen would stop for a second, go black, then reset itself as if nothing actually happened. This only affects my image files. I tried ShellExView and disabling any third-party context menus, but that didn't work. I tried Autoruns, but I couldn't find anything that's...
  10. File Explorer - Right click and crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Right click and crashing: Hello Please see my You Tube Demo video - when I right click on a file within File Explorer on Windows 10 it crashes; here is a video demo of the crash - as you can see the Bar down the bottom is disappearing Please can anyone suggest a fix. demo - YouTube 82170

Users found this page by searching for:

1. File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop