Windows 10: File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Discus and support File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; It seems that there's a bunch of misbehaving shell extensions for Windows 10, but... Here's what fixed this for me... Using the ShellEx program...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by classic20, Aug 5, 2015.

1. rodeohog Win User

File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

You know, I've been chasing this same problem for weeks, and one time before. Each time I get a different solution. Currently it is the nvidia cpl context menu extention, a few days ago disabling google stuff fixed it and it came back, and the first time few months back I uninstalled mozilla to solve the equation. And I see all of these other elaborate schemes to fix this problem (none from microsoft of course). The most helpfull device to identify it is this shellexview program. That lets you disable one at a time the programs that may cause this. But why I ask has this so many solutions if it is not somehow related to Windows itself?? I guess it of course be bad programing by the other software products. I just don't know. Just my 1 cent worth.

rodeohog, Jun 14, 2016
  2. rahul t Win User

hey everyone

I had the same right click issue, but uninstalling the McAfee antivirus solved not only this problem but two more I had where the "update and security" section under settings was just blank and the one where windows wont connect to group policy Client services.
    Everything is solved now *Smile
    jus uninstall any third party antivirus guys .....

rahul t, Jun 27, 2016
  3. rodeohog Win User
    As I posted earlier, I disabled nvidia related file and that fixed my problem. But upon contacting nvidia they pointed out that anything related to the video could point to the video card files. That would make sense. But I just about stopped everything else but that. So not really sure if that was it.

rodeohog, Jun 27, 2016
  4. File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Long time lurker. I want to report that I just did an upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. After uninstalling MalwareBytes, Refreshing explorer and opening context menus don't close explorer anymore. Thanks for the tip.

shinrakurisu, Jun 29, 2016
  5. I downloaded the ShellExView program and did what Topgundcp said. Found out that "Spybot S&D" made my explorer.exe crash.
    My solution to this was pretty easy, since in the program i can just turn off the shell integration and the problem was solved.
    Thanks for the help Topgundcp *Biggrin

FluorescentApe, Jul 14, 2016
  6. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator

My problem is right clicking causes the "crash" where Explorer seems to restart.

Turning off all contextual menu items using CCleaner hasn't helped. It seems right-clicking executables and some aliases to them cause the crash while others are fine. Unfortunately, ShellExView is one of the problem applications.

To do a virus scan on a downloaded app I need to place it in a folder - right-clicking it works with Malwarebytes and Avira and avoids the crash where the screen momentarily goes black and Explorer seems to restart.

Maybe going to Win 10 64-bit will help - updated from Win 7 32-bit. It seems carryover "stuff" from earlier installs might be related.

Just thought this info might help in troubleshooting.

BitterOldMan, Aug 3, 2016
  7. Simantic Win User
    I finally registered on this forum just to say thanks for this thread! I had a brand-new computer that's done this since we got it, and it has been bugging me like crazy. I finally had time to do some digging on it, found this thread, and got it fixed.

On this PC, I used Nirsoft ShellExView (just cuz I like Nirsoft products), and found extensions for the Open Office software that it came with installed were highlighted. We have MS Office 365 anyway, so I just uninstalled OO, and it's all good now.

Thanks so much!

Simantic, Aug 9, 2016
  8. Simantic Win User

Another way around that is the keyboard shortcut that seems to work fine for whatever reason. Single-click on a program to select it, then press Shift-F10 to bring up the context menu.

Simantic, Aug 9, 2016
  9. baccuss Win User
    It was NVIDIA's 'OpenGLShExt Class for me. disabled it and alls well.

baccuss, Sep 2, 2016
  10. Fantastic solution. Thanks so much for this !! I've been looking for weeks...
    Mine was an Nvidia Shell Extension... {OpenGlShExtClass} Ugh... Now I can get back to work ...

barriemacleod, Sep 5, 2016
  11. Yes... there seem to be a number of 'applications' that can interfere with Windows Explorer. Spybot (unfortunately) seems to be the cause of the difficulties with Windows Explorer (under Windows 10). But Uninstalling wasn't quite the end of the story. Dear old Spybot (no.. actually quite new) also has a 'hidden startup' running in Windows 10 to 'see if it's still there' !!! And it goes through a rigmarole with you on each 'Start' to get you to re-install. Pesky.. little Divil... So... Open up 'Task Manager' (and 'click' the start-up tag) and 'disable' ... "See If Spybot..." entry. Now you are probably free of this nuisance and - for me - Windows Explorer reverted to behaving itself impeccably. Good Luck! For you it might not be Spybot, but some other 'intended useful' piece of software. It's all become far too complicated. DOS is dead, long live the King!

Geoff theViking, Oct 25, 2016
  12. nsiotto Win User
    Thanks a lot for the tip. It has also solved my issue.
    I have first of all filtered all the non Microsoft items and disabled. It has immediately fixed my issue. Thanks again.

nsiotto, Dec 2, 2016
  13. File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Greetings and Happy New Year.

Same problem as described. Brand new ASUS for Christmas, wanted to rename some images. Right click and crash. Found this forum. First eliminated AVAST, because seemed a possible suspect and was redundant to Windows Defender. So, was an easy-to-do.
    No joy.
    Then used the ShellExView. Was not able to disable all context extensions at once. Started with about a dozen. Joy.
    Now to determine which one. Started focusing on the new non-organic software. Fonix Phantom PDF was the apparent culprit. After uninstall, no more issues (for now).

THANK YOU.

Take good care,
    Sandy

ps: made this profile to provide comment. Thanks again.

Sandy Daze, Jan 4, 2017
  14. skjal Win User
    You're my hero! I've been struggling for 2 weeks.

Thank you for sharing!

I've also made this profile only to thank you.

Happy New Year! *Biggrin

skjal, Jan 10, 2017
  15. I do hope you come back and see this. Just wanted to say eternal thanks for this fix. Unbelievably appropriate. Windows 10 (ASUS R541U, brand new) was having this exact same problem. The guys in the shop thought it was the Microsoft Office 365 installment. It wasn't of course, and I got really really angry with them for selling me a faulty machine. Eventually I find this fix through you at home. Gonna go back to the shop and tell them their business.

Hmmm.... on a further note, when the pinked items are re-enabled one by one, none of them seems to be the culprit and the file explorer works fine until I reboot. Then it's back to square one. If I just leave everything disabled there seems to be no problem. So how to find out which is the culprit?

TRIALNERROR, Jan 19, 2017
Thema:

1. File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashes

2. File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click: Every time I try to open the context menu, my File Explorer crashes. I can open the legacy context menu using Shift+Right-Click through. My Windows have been fine, but the problem suddenly appeared, not after I installed some programs or update WindowsI had- Followed this...
  3. File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click: Every time I try to open the context menu, my File Explorer crashes. I can open the legacy context menu using Shift+Right-Click through. My Windows have been fine, but the problem suddenly appeared, not after I installed some programs or update WindowsI had- Followed this...
  4. Windows 11 right click crashes on file explorer and desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 right click crashes on file explorer and desktop: Everytime i right click on file explorer it crashes, everytime i right click on the desktop it crashes the desktop for a second and it works again. I've cleared my file explorer cache, i've tried the clean boot and use the CMD sfc /scannow but nothing seems to work, i dont...
  5. Windows 11 right click crashes on file explorer and desktop

Windows 11 right click crashes on file explorer and desktop: Everytime i right click on file explorer it crashes, everytime i right click on the desktop it crashes the desktop for a second and it works again. I've cleared my file explorer cache, i've tried the clean boot and use the CMD sfc /scannow but nothing seems to work, i dont...
  6. file Explorer on right click crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file Explorer on right click crashing: When I right click explorer automatically restart and I cannot delete files, creating folders and much more and I don't know how to repair it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-on-right-click-crashing/5043c183-2eb0-4734-a753-ca7b47ccb6f9
  7. file Explorer on right click crashing

file Explorer on right click crashing: When I right click explorer automatically restart and I cannot delete files, creating folders and much more and I don't know how to repair it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-on-right-click-crashing/5043c183-2eb0-4734-a753-ca7b47ccb6f9
  8. Windows Explorer crashing after right clicking on the desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer crashing after right clicking on the desktop: Windows Explorer is crashing whenever I right click on the desktop. I don't know what's going on, but I want to fix it. Does anyone know what's happening here, and a way to fix it?...
  9. Right clicking files crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right clicking files crashes File Explorer: The screen would stop for a second, go black, then reset itself as if nothing actually happened. This only affects my image files. I tried ShellExView and disabling any third-party context menus, but that didn't work. I tried Autoruns, but I couldn't find anything that's...
  10. File Explorer - Right click and crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Right click and crashing: Hello Please see my You Tube Demo video - when I right click on a file within File Explorer on Windows 10 it crashes; here is a video demo of the crash - as you can see the Bar down the bottom is disappearing Please can anyone suggest a fix. demo - YouTube 82170