Windows 10: file explorer crashes after trying to access remote drive

Discus and support file explorer crashes after trying to access remote drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I didn´t find exactly where should i post this bug because this is not vulnerability. It just makes windows a little bit more irritating. So, this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jakub Sýkora, Apr 13, 2019.

1. file explorer crashes after trying to access remote drive

I didn´t find exactly where should i post this bug because this is not vulnerability. It just makes windows a little bit more irritating.

So, this bug happens when i try to connect to external drive (not sure how its called in EN) over a network (SMB, probably v3). The strange thing is, that every other file explorer window that were opened before were working normally (until crash). Same for every other program running on the computer. After i tried to connect to network drive, explorer froze (probably tried to connect to drive) and after +-30 secs crashed. With that crashed whole environment (desktop, anything that used Windows key wasnt working). After a while, explorer restarted and everything worked normally.

Specs: AMD FX-6110, 16GB DDR3, GTX1050Ti (latest drivers), 480GB Kingston SSD (sys), 2TB WD data drive, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, up to date to 13.4.2019 22:25 CET. The network drive is connected via switch and is automatically being shut down at 10PM.

Thanks.

(Also the topic might not be the right one)

:)

Jakub Sýkora, Apr 13, 2019
  2. Mark Ole Win User

Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Apr 13, 2019
  3. digibucc Win User
    iTwin - Remote File Access

here is the site (iTwin.com)

basically it is 2 usb dongles, that when plugged into 2 different computers that both have access to the internet, it creates a link between the two, allowing file transfer over the internet, easily.

obviously dyndns, static ips, etc - there are ways to do this without the dongle. but for most end users those are complicated. I think this is a pretty nifty idea *Smile file explorer crashes after trying to access remote drive :)

file explorer crashes after trying to access remote drive SS-2011-01-16_10.41.51.png

digibucc, Apr 13, 2019
  4. file explorer crashes after trying to access remote drive

File Explorer crashes on Quick Access Recent files item

Hi Loreto,

Clearing recent files does indeed allow File Explorer to open but my client did as I suggested and left recent files turned off for a few days and then turned it back on. It worked for a while but then started crashing again.

Two users at the same site have now reported the same problem which suggests it's not an individual user doing something unusual. It is very possible that they are working on the same documents in the same project.

The kind of documents in there will be:

• Documents opened directly from SharePoint
    • Documents opened from File Explorer viewing a SharePoint document library
    • Documents opened from File Explorer using a mapped drive to a SharePoint document library
    • Documents opened from Office 365 OneDrive

It's definitely a bug! Some threads have suggested bizarrely that it's linked to screen scaling?? And they do have a monitor and laptop screen with different scaling.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Nicholson (Home), Apr 13, 2019
Thema:

file explorer crashes after trying to access remote drive

1. file explorer crashes after trying to access remote drive - Similar Threads - file explorer crashes

2. File Explorer not seeing Drive or giving access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not seeing Drive or giving access.: Windows 11 - I have a M.2 NVME drive I have just installed in my Dell computer. BIOS reads the drive, and device manager sees the drive and confirms it's there and there are no problems with the drive. However File Explorer does not see the drive and I cannot find a way of...
  3. File Explorer not seeing Drive or giving access.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer not seeing Drive or giving access.: Windows 11 - I have a M.2 NVME drive I have just installed in my Dell computer. BIOS reads the drive, and device manager sees the drive and confirms it's there and there are no problems with the drive. However File Explorer does not see the drive and I cannot find a way of...
  4. File Explorer keep crashing after trying to uninstall Citrix Workspace

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer keep crashing after trying to uninstall Citrix Workspace: Trying to uninstall Citrix and the procedure took forever so it was aborted.Laptop was reboot right after but the file explorer stop working.The windows would freeze in any further attempt to launch file explorer.No error message, just plainly froze.Possibly some corrupt...
  5. File Explorer keep crashing after trying to uninstall Citrix Workspace

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer keep crashing after trying to uninstall Citrix Workspace: Trying to uninstall Citrix and the procedure took forever so it was aborted.Laptop was reboot right after but the file explorer stop working.The windows would freeze in any further attempt to launch file explorer.No error message, just plainly froze.Possibly some corrupt...
  6. File Explorer crashes or freezes while accessing Mapped Network Drives

in Windows 10 News
    File Explorer crashes or freezes while accessing Mapped Network Drives: [ATTACH]If File Explorer crashes or freezes while accessing Mapped Network Drives on your Windows 11/10 system, this post may help you fix it. This issue prevents users from accessing the data inside the mapped network drives because every time users try to access them, File...
  7. right clicking quick access in file explorer crashes file explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    right clicking quick access in file explorer crashes file explorer: Issue Type: BugIssue frequency: every time I do this operationIssue duration: Since 2 yrs ago I bought this PCHardware: OMEN-15 i7 1660Ti + 16GB MemOS Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041 Home version----------------Issue Reproducing-----------------1. Open any file explorer...
  8. file explorer crashes when accessing d: drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    file explorer crashes when accessing d: drive: File Explorer is set to open in the Quick Access window. When I click on This PC, file explorer closes and the screen momentarily goes blank. When I type "D:" in the address window, the same thing happens. When I type "C:", I can see the C drive. I suspect something is...
  9. remote hard drive access

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    remote hard drive access: Hello; I replaced a hard drive in a laptop with a SSD cloned, it works fine. Bought a case for the drive removed, but when I connect it via usb, the drive powers up, and I get the icon showing a usb connection, but the drive doesn't show up in the tree. I left the...
  10. File explorer crashes after opening a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer crashes after opening a file: File explorer crashes after I open one file in explorer. The first one opens fine, but then explorer says not responding and crashes. Please help. I have tried all of the troubleshooting fixes i could find online. Clean Boot, resetting the settings in the view-options...