Windows 10: File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix?

Discus and support File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was following a guide suggesting putting custom items in the File Explorer Quick Access Panel. I think I actually set something already in the quick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wombat Pete, May 26, 2017.

1. File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix?

I was following a guide suggesting putting custom items in the File Explorer Quick Access Panel.
    I think I actually set something already in the quick panel - or a "divider line", which I was trying to move to the right so I could see what was in the quick panel already - to be in the quick panel.
    At which point File Explorer crashed.
    An attempt to open it, whether from a desktop folder or the taskbar, crashes (and also wipes and reups the taskbar contents).
    Opening File Explorer Options from the start button, clearing the cache and unticking the two boxes for showing history in the Quick Access panel does NOT help.
    Basically, I've lost file explorer. There must be registry entries that could reset the Quick Access to its original state.
    Help!
    Thanks)

:)

Wombat Pete, May 26, 2017

2. Windows 10 File Explorer crashes and resets on open from taskbar or windows tab

An update theory on why this happens. Probably better theory than the 'too full' idea.

I believe it goes like this: there’s something about certain files being “corrupted” as perceived by file explorer, which is what causes it to crash when we sort by date. Then, because that folder was recently accessed, it gets added to quick access,
    so when file explorer is opened again into “quick access,” it perceives the corrupted file, and immediately crashes again. But if we go into “This PC,” it avoids quick access entirely, so file explorer opens normally.

And going to 'this PC' as described next may allow you to get to the Quick Access and change the settings before it crashes on you:

Open File Explorer through Cortana (the search bar/circle thing) and typing “Computer,” then click on “This PC”

ASanchez_5915, May 26, 2017
  3. Quick Access Crashes Explorer

I had this same issue. When opening up File Explorer it would automatically open into the Quick Access files and then crash. I found that opening up Recycle Bin would go to the Recycle Bin contents, which meant no crash! I then selected Quick Access and
    it crashed, which told me that was the cause!

Reopening Recycle Bin I then went to the ribbon at the top and selected View > Options > Change folder view and searching> General > Open File Explorer to... > changed it to "This PC".

Under Privacy at the bottom of this same General tab un-tick "Show recently used files in Quick Access" and un-tick "Show frequently used folders in Quick Access" and click on the "Clear" button.

Restarting File Explorer then works perfectly! File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix? :D

AlexLeadingEdge, May 26, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix?

Hi Pete, Welcome to tenforums! *Smile

Do you have a link to that guide?

Edwin, May 26, 2017
  5. Wombat Pete, May 26, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, May 26, 2017
  7. Straightforward - agree.
    Yes, I restarted the PC. Didn't help (I thought it would, actually - that the reset settings in the File Explorer settings would take. Alas...)
    As I say, it was clearly connected to an attempt to add things to the Quick Access panel, which seemed like a good idea. I added things in the pre-set menu - they added up to a point, then were "beyond" the vertical-line divider. I tried to move that to the right - didn't move. I tried to add other things to the access panel by right clicking and selecting "add to quick access panel," or whatever it is, but they didn't seem to add. What I think really did it was... I may have right-clicked on the vertical divider on the right end of the visible access panel and come up with a menu from which I selected "add to quick access panel."

Now I'm where I am as described above. Did that answer your question?

Wombat Pete, May 26, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Do you have a system restore point you can use?

Failing that, do you use any form of disk imaging so you can restore your PC from a disk image you have previously created?
    The routine use of disk imaging is what we strongly and repeatedly recommend people use so they can recover from difficult situations without technical help - e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage for image sets.

dalchina, May 29, 2017
  9. That's a bit radical, isn't it? I'd have to remember what I did since then to reproduce it.
    I'd rather actually fix the problem.
    Isn't there a program or Windows function that repairs the OS and might find and repair this? I seem to remember something like that.

Wombat Pete, May 29, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    I'm sorry, you seem unfamiliar with the terminology.

System Restore has been around since Windows XP.
    Yes- it's System Restore.

It reverses changes made in key areas back to the date of the restore point chosen.

Have you ever enabled System Restore? Do you recognise the term?

File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix? [​IMG]

(There are other repair tools and techniques, but I expect here we're looking at registry changes, so you need a tool that deals with that).

System Restore is often used to reverse a recent change - if it works (and it doesn't always!)

dalchina, May 29, 2017
  11. I appreciate it, but no, system restore is not what I mean. It puts the system back into a previous state. It doesn't examine the OS, searching for issues in libraries, missing files, etc.

BUT I think that kind of thing exists (or used to). I think I used it once upon a time.

(System restore is more a "lite" form of the old typical MS fix - you reinstall the operating system, do everything from the start, a ton of work and lost settings, etc., because we don't want to be bothered actually providing support/fixing the problem. System restore a good thing to have in the event of a catastrophe, but this shouldn't require that.)

Wombat Pete, May 29, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    You don't understand what system restore is, I'm afraid, so I'll leave you to find your own solution.

SFC /SCANNOW deals with system files- not the registry and checks the current set of files in use against the repository on disk.

chkdsk checks the integrity of the file system.

DISM commands are a level up from SFC

An in-place upgrade repair install replace system files with the base build of the current edition, and overwrites some- but dar from all- registry settings whilst leaving programs and most user settings intact.

Good luck.

dalchina, May 30, 2017
  13. File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix?

Anyway, I found I had a very recent system restore. It's good to know you can scan for programs that will be affected by it. That appears to have ...well, it hasn't solved the problem, but it has eliminated it, if you see what I mean. Thanks for your help!

Wombat Pete, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix? - Similar Threads - File Explorer Crashes

2. no quick access in my file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no quick access in my file explorer: there is no quick access on left side https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-quick-access-in-my-file-explorer/4e3be6da-128a-4d77-8fd0-c3b974eaca78
  3. Quick Access in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access in File Explorer: For some reason my Quick Access in File Explorer stopped working about a week ago. It does not display pinned folders any more. It does show recent files. When I try to pin anything to it it says that the folder already exists. I only had 4 or 5 folders pinned but it gives me...
  4. right clicking quick access in file explorer crashes file explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    right clicking quick access in file explorer crashes file explorer: Issue Type: BugIssue frequency: every time I do this operationIssue duration: Since 2 yrs ago I bought this PCHardware: OMEN-15 i7 1660Ti + 16GB MemOS Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041 Home version----------------Issue Reproducing-----------------1. Open any file explorer...
  5. File Explorer Quick Access

File Explorer Quick Access: I have pinned a folder to quick access, file explorer. Folder shows, no problems. I shut my machine down at the end of the day. When I restart and go into file explorer, the folder I pinned to quick access is not there. I have tried various solutions on-line and community...
  6. File explorer and quick access query

File explorer and quick access query: Hi, I am a Windows 10 user with all updates up-to-date. Recently, my File explorer icons look like a page with the corner turned over - no normal file image and at the same time the quick access search never finishes?...
  7. File Explorer Quick Access Icons ?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Quick Access Icons ?: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro vers 1909 on a new build. This is my first experience with Win10. I'm not sure what icons are supposed to be in Quick Access. But I have 3 yellow folders that correspond to drivers that I installed, in addition to 5 icons which appear...
  8. In File Explorer Quick Access

In File Explorer Quick Access: Listed is old Firefox > ylzp0n7i.default Is that OK or should I delete? Also, I get a lot of cookies and I enabled block 3rd party cookies Thank you for your anticipated help...
  9. Quick Access Column in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick Access Column in File Explorer: How can I change the width of the Quick Access column in file explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/quick-access-column-in-file-explorer/eb2c6ef5-6b89-480a-af0b-7c4f879a5695
  10. Issues with quick access and file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues with quick access and file explorer: Today after starting my computer, I realized that quick access items disappeared and I am unable to pin anything. In addition, all pinned items in the menu that appears when you right click on the file explorer disappeared as well. I am attaching images to clarify the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. quick access crashes explorer