Windows 10: File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10

Discus and support File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If when you are trying to create a New Folder using the context menu, File Explorer freezes or crashes in Windows 10, then this article is sure to help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 11, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10

If when you are trying to create a New Folder using the context menu, File Explorer freezes or crashes in Windows 10, then this article is sure to help you.

File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder

File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10 Explorer-crashes-or-freezes-when-creating-New-folder.jpg

These are the things you can do is creating New Folder causes Explorer to freeze in Windows 10:

1. Restart Explorer.exe process
    2. Check installed Add-ons
    3. Run SFC and DISM
    4. Troubleshoot in Clean Boot State
    5. Run the System Maintenence Troubleshooter.

Let us talk about them in detail.

1] Restart Explorer.exe process

Restart the Explorer.exe process and see if that makes the problem go away.

2] Check installed Add-ons

Check the Check installed Add-ons – if any. They are usually the culprit! Check if you have installed any helpers or add-ons to your explorer. Uninstall or disable them. Often, even 3rd-party shell extensions can cause Explorer to crash on particular actions. Several programs add items to the right-click context menu. To see them in detail, you may download the freeware utility ShellExView from nirsoft.net.

File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10 shellxv.jpg

It will let you view & disable suspect 3rd party shell extensions. Using the trial & error method, you may disable/enable the extensions to try and identify if any of them are causing a problem. ShellExView can also be used for solving context-menu problems in Explorer, like, say, if the right-click is slow.

3] Run SFC

One of the obvious reasons for this issue is corrupted system files. To fix the issue, we are going to run the SFC command. So, launch Command Prompt as an administrator from the Start Menu, type the following command, and hit Enter.

sfc/ scannow

Let the command run and check if the issue persists.

4] Troubleshoot in Clean Boot State

With the help of Clean Boot State, we can narrow down your computer processes and know what exactly is causing the issue. It is a long process as you have to disable programs one by one to know the reason behind the problem.

Clean-boot troubleshooting is designed to isolate a performance problem. To perform clean-boot troubleshooting, you must take a number of actions, and then restart the computer after each action. You may need to manually disable one item after another to try and pinpoint the one that is causing the problem. Once you have identified the offender, you can consider removing or disabling it.

Once you know which program is causing this error, delete that specific program and hopefully, it will fix the issue.

Read: How to Get Help with File Explorer in Windows 10.

5] Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter

File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10 System-and-Security-troubleshooter-500x321.jpg

If File Explorer is crashing while creating a New Folder, try running System Maintenance Troubleshooter to fix the issue. To do that, follow the given steps:

1. Launch Control Panel from the Start Menu.
    2. Click Troubleshooting
    3. From System and Security section, click Run maintenance tasks and follow the on-screen instructions to fix the issue.

Alternatively, in Windows 10, to run the System Maintenance Troubleshooter. Open Run, type the following and hit Enter:

%systemroot%\system32\msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic

After completion of the task, restart your computer, try creating a New Folder in File Explorer, and check if the issue persists.

File Explorer is known for having issues sometimes, so some of these fixes might interest you:

File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10 Explorer-crashes-or-freezes-when-creating-New-folder.jpg
    This article File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 11, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 11, 2021
  3. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 11, 2021
  4. File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10

File Explorer freezes when creating new folders

Hi,

My problem is exactly as the title says. Every time I try to create a new folder, File Explorer freezes and then crashes after about a minute or two. I really wanna fix this as I am a student and need folders to organize my files but I don't really know
    how to proceed File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10 :( Any help is appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

GabrielleLacourse, May 11, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10

1. File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashes

2. In File Explorer when creating a new folder, focus is no longer on "New Folder". It is in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In File Explorer when creating a new folder, focus is no longer on "New Folder". It is in...: In File Explorer when creating a new folder, focus is no longer on "New Folder". It is in the address bar. In the past, the focus was on "New Folder" giving me a chance to change the name. Seems like the new behavior is a bug. I certainly find it inconvenient. This started...
  3. In File Explorer when creating a new folder, focus is no longer on "New Folder". It is in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In File Explorer when creating a new folder, focus is no longer on "New Folder". It is in...: In File Explorer when creating a new folder, focus is no longer on "New Folder". It is in the address bar. In the past, the focus was on "New Folder" giving me a chance to change the name. Seems like the new behavior is a bug. I certainly find it inconvenient. This started...
  4. File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder: Just tonight, File Explorer started crashing every time I tried to create a new folder. I have rebooted my computer several times and tried multiple fixes. None have worked. And yes, this is a Windows 10 Computer I bought just a few months ago....
  5. File Explorer crash when opening folder in new window

File Explorer crash when opening folder in new window: Hi I have a problem with file explorer in windows 10 When i try to open a folder from the list at the left corner as example a folder from Quick access When i click on it with right click and choose open in new window the file explorer crashes and restart again...
  6. File Explorer - Creating new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Creating new folders: Windows 1909 and before. Issue: When I try to create a new folder in File Explorer I can only type one letter then File Explorer acts like I pressed enter. For example if I Create a try to creater called " File Explorer will only let me create a folder called "j" The work...
  7. Windows freezes when creating a new file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows freezes when creating a new file: Do you know how you can right click to create a file? well, whenever I hover over new it freezes my computer. just a note, I had updated to the newest windows and it only started happening after it was downloaded....
  8. File explorer crashes when creating new folder!

File explorer crashes when creating new folder!: this only happens when creating a new folder, and only on my user... Whenever I try it on an alternate account, it doesn't happen... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-creating-new-folder/a08bfd61-3538-4a89-87d7-33aa39006a63"
  9. File Explorer freezes when creating new folders

File Explorer freezes when creating new folders: Hi, My problem is exactly as the title says. Every time I try to create a new folder, File Explorer freezes and then crashes after about a minute or two. I really wanna fix this as I am a student and need folders to organize my files but I don't really know how to proceed...
  10. Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder: This has been happening recently. I can't say it is or is not related to the Anniversary Update. But when I create a new folder or rename an existing folder, the folder box will freeze for 30-60 seconds. Sometimes it will then function as normal, sometimes it will require me...