Windows 10: File Explorer crashes or is really slow

Discus and support File Explorer crashes or is really slow in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro No trouble viewing c drive. Right click it and File Explorer freezes. Open another File Explorer window, some mapped Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by giiancarlo, Sep 24, 2020.

1. File Explorer crashes or is really slow

Windows 10 Pro

No trouble viewing c drive. Right click it and File Explorer freezes.

Open another File Explorer window, some mapped Windows 10 drives to not appear.

What to do?

:)

giiancarlo, Sep 24, 2020

2. file explorer crashes

Effective Way to Solve the File Explorer Crashes Issue

You can try the following steps:

1. Tap down the Windows button first to activate the search bar.
    2. After that, in the search bar type control, and then click on the top-most search result, that is on Control Panel.
    3. Next, in the search bar type file.
    4. Now, from the search results click on File Explorer Options.
    5. Then, click on the Clean button.
    6. Lastly, click on Apply and then on OK.

References: https://www.****/knowledge/solved-windows-10-file-explorer-crash-easy-way/

JuanSmith2, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Gencijs Win User
    File explorer keeps crashing in Win 10

Hello,

I did the steps you wrote. All the settings were as you suggested. The File Explorer keeps crashing.

Gencijs, Sep 24, 2020
  4. File Explorer crashes or is really slow

Internet Explorer is slow, crashing, freezing

Hi Albert,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter which would tell us the reason behind the issue and check.

Follow these steps to run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Click on search and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

Method 2: Follow the steps suggested in this link and check if it helps.

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Reset Internet Explorer disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature
    might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Method 3: I would suggest you to run
    System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security,
    • Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer crashes or is really slow

1. File Explorer crashes or is really slow - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashes

2. files open really slow in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files open really slow in windows 10: Windows 10 laptopX1 Carbon 7th gen core I7 16 GB ram This is the problem. Whenever open filesexcel, word doc, pdf from either the desktop or the folder it takes 1-2 minutes. Super slow. If I open file from within adobe, excel or word app the file opens quickly. When it takes...
  3. File Explorer really sluggish and weird

File Explorer really sluggish and weird: About 4-5 months ago I started to notice after an update that file explorer started to act really weird it got sluggish and folders would not show the little preview thumbnails and file would just come up as white squares with no thumbnail or associated programs icon and the...
  4. Windows File Explorer really slow when opening a file

Windows File Explorer really slow when opening a file: Hello, recently my Windows File Explorer has been really slow. Whenever I open a file or open File Explorer it freezes for about 10-20 seconds. After that it works just fine and I can navigate to any file I want, it's only when I open up a file from my desktop or try to open...
  5. Laptop is running really slow and constantly crashing/freezing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop is running really slow and constantly crashing/freezing.: I have a laptop that I bought in 2015 and after 2-3 years it started to become a bit slower, but after doing some cleaning it started to run just fine. It's a windows 8.1 laptop and I only upgraded it to windows 10 recently, like 2 months ago. For the past year, the laptop...
  6. Explorer really slow - windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer really slow - windows 10: I am having an odd issue. Opening windows explorer takes several minutes. Even if I just try to save something in an application. I'm at a loss. Things I've tried: Rebuilding the index Unpinning everything from quick access Running these commands in powershell: DISM...
  7. Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer

Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer: Hi ive installed a nas and Im on windows 10 1909, the nas will take a very long time to open in file explorer as when first connected to the network it will not show how much storage is in it till you open it. When you can then open a document this sometimes can take 20...
  8. File Explorer is really slow Win 10

File Explorer is really slow Win 10: Hello, so I didn´t use my Microsoft Surface in a Month and now I have to study for a test but my file explorer is suddenly really slow. It takes Minutes to open a file or folder, while the rest is working as fast as usual. I tried ending it with the Task Manager and...
  9. Did a Windows 10 Update and file explorer is really slow in opening

Did a Windows 10 Update and file explorer is really slow in opening: I did an update last week on Windows 10 and the 1903 update today. File explorer has really been slow after those updates. Please advise on what to do. Thank you....
  10. Windows 10 really, really, really slow!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 really, really, really slow!: My son's computer is suddenly incredibly slow, like 4 or 5 mins from a mouse click to a response. I have tried all the "Windows is running slow" fixes, but since I can't open any settings apps, I am really stuck. I have tried rebooting in safe mode, but it won't - I have...