Windows 10: File Explorer crashes when my disc is in the E: drive

Discus and support File Explorer crashes when my disc is in the E: drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When my disc is in the E: drive, File Explorer stops responding. I honestly think the disk is corrupted, but I'm not entirely sure. I'll tell you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gaster, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Gaster Win User

File Explorer crashes when my disc is in the E: drive

When my disc is in the E: drive, File Explorer stops responding. I honestly think the disk is corrupted, but I'm not entirely sure.
    I'll tell you exactly how I got here.
    1. After unsuccessfully installing Ubuntu, I formatted the disc and noticed that over three quarters of the disc had been "used", but when I looked at the contents of the disc, there were no files.
    2. Because of this, I had to extract the files in the ISO file using WinRAR instead of burning it.
    3. After going successfully for a substantial amount of time, WinRAR shown an error and stopped responding. After waiting over an hour just for it to work, I gave up and closed WinRAR with Task Manager.
    4. After going into File Explorer to see if my disc was fine, I was greeted with File Explorer, as the title implies, not responding.
    5. I took out the disc and noticed that File Explorer was completely fine.
    Is the disc the problem, and if so, how do I fix it?
    Thanks in advance,
    , Xbox Ambassador *Tongue

:)

Gaster, Mar 7, 2017
  2. loldad09 Win User

When my disc is in the E: drive, File Explorer stops responding. I honestly think the disk is corrupted, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'll tell you exactly how I got here.

1. After unsuccessfully installing Ubuntu, I formatted the disc and noticed that over three quarters of the disc had been "used", but when I looked at the contents of the disc, there were no files.

2. Because of this, I had to extract the files in the ISO file using WinRAR instead of burning it.

3. After going successfully for a substantial amount of time, WinRAR shown an error and stopped responding. After waiting over an hour just for it to work, I gave up and closed WinRAR with Task Manager.

4. After going into File Explorer to see if my disc was fine, I was greeted with File Explorer, as the title implies, not responding.

5. I took out the disc and noticed that File Explorer was completely fine.

Is the disc the problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance,

, Xbox Ambassador

loldad09, Mar 7, 2017
  3. File Explorer crashes when my disc is in the E: drive

Hi,

We are seeing here that you are experiencing some issue regarding the disk you are using. We recommend you to try a different disk on your computer and try the disk you are using right now on a different device for us to isolate the concern.

We look forward to your reply.

Virfranz Man, Mar 7, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

By Disc, I assume you mean a CD/RW disc? And not a CD-R? Which you tried to Format but it did not complete?
    And by E: you mean a CD/DVD drive?
    If your computer runs fine without the disc in, then yes, the disc is the problem.
    CD-DVD/RW discs have a limited amount of times they can be formatted (erased) by that I mean they don't actually erase, they just take the header off the files, and allow you to overwrite them. There is a limited amount of times to overwrite a RW disc. If it fails the format process, then throw it away and get a fresh disc. If you are going to be burning and reusing media, then you should use a USB Flash drive which can be formatted and reused many more times the a disc.

spunk, Mar 7, 2017
  5. Gaster Win User
    The disc says DVD+R, and yes, by E: I mean a CD/DVD drive.

Gaster, Mar 8, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    A DVD+R disk is 'write-once'. You may be able to 'delete' data you have written to it and format it to appear 'blank' but you cannot reuse the parts of the disk you have already written to. Only a DVD+RW or DVD-RW (that is, ReWritable) allows you to write to the same part of the disk more than once.

Bree, Mar 8, 2017
  7. Gaster Win User
    Oh... I did see RW on the disc somewhere, but I don't even know anymore.

Gaster, Mar 8, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

As stated DVD-R or DVD+R are only write once, and throw it away if if fails.
    If it is a DVD+RW or DVD-RW it would say right on the disc. If it says DVD+R, it is not rewriteable
    Discs are relatively cheap, if one fails, throw it away and use another one.
    Again, if you are going to be burning files and then erasing them and reusing the media, it's much easier and better to use a USB Flash Drive then a Blank DVD disc.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer crashes when my disc is in the E: drive - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashes

2. File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present: I have a cloned drive E that backs up the main drive C every night.When I do a search in the C: drive, it responds with those matching files in the E drive only.I've played with the index locations and nothing is selected for E:...
  3. File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present: I have a cloned drive E that backs up the main drive C every night.When I do a search in the C: drive, it responds with those matching files in the E drive only.I've played with the index locations and nothing is selected for E:...
  4. File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.: I have a new CD-R disc that I put in Drive E on my PC with Windows 10. I want to copy an existing file from Drive C to that disc. That did not work but I received a message that, "Windows was unable to complete the format." What can I do now to fix the problem?...
  6. Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.: I have a new CD-R disc that I put in Drive E on my PC with Windows 10. I want to copy an existing file from Drive C to that disc. That did not work but I received a message that, "Windows was unable to complete the format." What can I do now to fix the problem?...
  7. Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. "Please insert a disc into drive E"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Please insert a disc into drive E": I have tried to get my laptop DVD/CD to read any disk to no avail. I tried several of the suggestions in a thread to 2015, no luck. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive. The system says the drive is working properly. Put in a disk, the disk spins, then "Please...
  9. File explorer crashes when right clicking on a drive in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer crashes when right clicking on a drive in explorer: I'm trying to format a USB drive but whenever I right click on it in explorer, file explorer crashes. Any tips on how to fix this? submitted by /u/barkafas2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kf1qtn/file_explorer_crashes_when_right_clicking_on_a/
  10. file explorer crashes when accessing d: drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    file explorer crashes when accessing d: drive: File Explorer is set to open in the Quick Access window. When I click on This PC, file explorer closes and the screen momentarily goes blank. When I type "D:" in the address window, the same thing happens. When I type "C:", I can see the C drive. I suspect something is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dvd-r not responding file explorer

2. encrypted disc is crashing my file explorer