Windows 10: File Explorer crashing due to Windows.storage.dll

Discus and support File Explorer crashing due to Windows.storage.dll in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm experiencing an issue where the File Explorer icon on the taskbar either won't open or opens and immediately crashes. I can still open folders on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Abhi Patil, Jun 2, 2023.

1. File Explorer crashing due to Windows.storage.dll

I'm experiencing an issue where the File Explorer icon on the taskbar either won't open or opens and immediately crashes. I can still open folders on my desktop and if I search "downloads" in the start menu, I'm able to open that directory in file explorer. Whenever this issue occurs, I get the following error in the Event Viewer:Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.22621.1325, time stamp: 0xc94b0427Faulting module name: windows.storage.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1325, time stamp: 0x29bc6f45Exceptio

:)

Abhi Patil, Jun 2, 2023

2. Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

thats wierd... iv never had a large file crash explorer before....

and i have files ranging upto 80GB...

slyfox2151, Jun 2, 2023
  3. Nick89 Win User
    Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

So I downloaded project reality a mob for BF2 I used uTorrent to download the file and it check to make sure it wasnt corrupt.

Everytime I try to do anything with the file windows explorer hangs and I have to restart it.

This is the same for the old version of project reality. I cannot delete it.

I have never had this happen.

The files in question are 1.8 GB

Nick89, Jun 2, 2023
  4. temp02 Win User

File Explorer crashing due to Windows.storage.dll

Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

It's an .exe right? Explorer probably read its icon (to a cache) when it was a "small" file and now call the quits when it finds "such a big" file.

If you want to delete it, use the console after killing explorer, you can run the console from TaskManager (Application -> New Task -> cmd). You might want to try copy the file to a different location (copy, not cut) and see if explorer can handle it in the new location before deleting it.

temp02, Jun 2, 2023
Thema:

File Explorer crashing due to Windows.storage.dll

1. File Explorer crashing due to Windows.storage.dll - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashing

2. Windows 10 File Explorer crashing due to Shell32.dll with exception code 0xc0000005 after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File Explorer crashing due to Shell32.dll with exception code 0xc0000005 after...: Hello,I'm in a bind and currently exhausted all ideas on how to fix this issue.As stated the issue I'm having, while odd, can be iritating, and I narrowed it down to following:When opening a fresh file explorer if I open around 128 folders, one by one, explorer.exe will...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer crashing due to Shell32.dll with exception code 0xc0000005 after...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File Explorer crashing due to Shell32.dll with exception code 0xc0000005 after...: Hello,I'm in a bind and currently exhausted all ideas on how to fix this issue.As stated the issue I'm having, while odd, can be iritating, and I narrowed it down to following:When opening a fresh file explorer if I open around 128 folders, one by one, explorer.exe will...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer crashing due to Shell32.dll with exception code 0xc0000005 after...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File Explorer crashing due to Windows.storage.dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashing due to Windows.storage.dll: I'm experiencing an issue where the File Explorer icon on the taskbar either won't open or opens and immediately crashes. I can still open folders on my desktop and if I search "downloads" in the start menu, I'm able to open that directory in file explorer. Whenever this...
  6. Games are crashing due to .dll files and BSOD ntfs.sys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Games are crashing due to .dll files and BSOD ntfs.sys: Good day.How do I fix the ntfs.sys BSOD and games that are crashing due to .dll file errors?My PC is crashing due to ntfs.sys file and I don't know how to fix this. I've already updated all the drivers of my pc thru Snappy Driver Installer and did all the command prompt like...
  7. Windows Explorer crashing due to display scale settings(?)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer crashing due to display scale settings(?): Hi. I recently picked up a 4K monitor to compliment two 1080p panels. Since I added the monitor in, I've noticed that Windows Explorer - windows and taskbar - have been crashing. I typically notice it with some strange window behavior, or programs not wanting to minimize....
  8. app crashes due to a dll file on the system

app crashes due to a dll file on the system: so im trying to play a game, right?, then in one exact part of the game it just crashes without advice or any type of warning or missing path, i go to event viewer, and see that it says that the faulting path is...
  9. app crashes due to a dll file on the system

app crashes due to a dll file on the system: so im trying to play a game, right?, then in one exact part of the game it just crashes without advice or any type of warning or missing path, i go to event viewer, and see that it says that the faulting path is...
  10. File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Crashes Due To Quick Access - Registry Fix?: I was following a guide suggesting putting custom items in the File Explorer Quick Access Panel. I think I actually set something already in the quick panel - or a "divider line", which I was trying to move to the right so I could see what was in the quick panel already - to...