Windows 10: File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell

Discus and support File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, File Explorer keeps crashing for me whenever I open a folder or go to any sort of directory and I presume this issue is caused by Open Shell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MichaelMeek, Oct 23, 2021.

1. File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell

Hi, File Explorer keeps crashing for me whenever I open a folder or go to any sort of directory and I presume this issue is caused by Open Shell

:)

MichaelMeek, Oct 23, 2021

2. File Explorer crashes

Hi LUVSITE,

Shell extensions are modules that extend the functionality of the Explorer shell. Context menu handler is a type of shell extension that load when you right-click on a file or folder. A buggy shell extension (mostly the ones from 3rd programs) can cause
    slow right-click issues, or crashes in the Explorer environment.

"View Reliability History" page in Control Panel can sometimes tell you which particular extension has crashed the shell. But in some cases it doesn't tell you the exact extension or module name, and in such as case, ShellExView is one tool we depend upon.

ShellExView helps you enable or disable unwanted shell extensions in your system, very useful for troubleshooting right-click issues.

In the
    this link
    (which is the 2nd link in my previous post), skip the "Symptoms" section and follow the steps listed under "Using ShellExView to determine the Context-menu causing the problem".

Let's know if you have any doubts when following those steps. It should not be that difficult.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 23, 2021
  3. Explorer Crashes When Making New Folder or Opening Files

You can also try following -

The cause for this problem seems to be third party shell extensions. To get rid of culprit extension, you can download ShellExView. ShellExView is a free third-party application that can be used to manage, disable and enable all of the shell extensions that
    you have on your computer

Download ShellExView -
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Extract the zip file

Launch ShellExView by right-clicking on the application named shexview and clicking on Run as administrator

You will be met with a list of all the shell extensions installed on your computer once the program is done compiling it. Once you see the list, click on Options > Filter by Extension Type > Context Menu.

In the newly compiled list, you will see entries that have pink backgrounds. All of these entries are shell extensions installed on your computer by third-party applications.

Hold down the Ctrl key and click on each of the “pink background” entries to select them.

Once all of the “pink background” entries have been selected, right-click on them and click on Disable Selected Items to disable all of them.

Click on Options > Restart Explorer. Try right-clicking on your Desktop, and File Explorer should no longer crash.

Once you have fixed the problem, next comes identifying the culprit and disabling it for good. To do so, you are going to have to:

Right-click on any one of the “pink background” shell extensions that you disabled and click on Enable Selected Items to enable it.

Click on Options > Restart Explorer, right-click on your Desktop and see if File Explorer

If File Explorer does not crash, keep on repeating steps 1 and 2, enabling a different third-party shell extension every time, until File Explorer crashes and you start experiencing the problem again.

The third-party shell extension you enabled just before the problem returned is the culprit. You can go ahead and enable all of the “pink background” shell extensions you disabled except for this one as this one is the culprit. Keep this shell extension disabled
    for good – in fact, it is recommended that you uninstall the third-party application that installed this shell extension on your computer altogether.

(Source -
    https://appuals.com/file-explorer-crashing-afte...
    )

E for Excel, Oct 23, 2021
  4. File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell

windows explorer crash when opening files (windows.storage.dll)

Hi..iM anthony your independent advisor..

The cause for this problem seems to be third party shell extensions.

To get rid of culprit extension, you can download ShellExView.

ShellExView is a free third-party application that can be used to manage, disable and enable all of the shell extensions that you have on your computer

Download ShellExView -
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Extract the zip file

Launch ShellExView by right-clicking on the application named shexview and clicking on Run as administrator

You will be met with a list of all the shell extensions installed on your computer once the program is done compiling it.

Once you see the list, click on Options > Filter by Extension Type > Context Menu.

In the newly compiled list, you will see entries that have pink backgrounds.

All of these entries are shell extensions installed on your computer by third-party applications.

Hold down the Ctrl key and click on each of the “pink background” entries to select them.

Once all of the “pink background” entries have been selected, right-click on them and click on Disable Selected Items to disable all of them.

Click on Options > Restart Explorer.

Try right-clicking on your Desktop, and File Explorer should no longer crash.

Once you have fixed the problem, next comes identifying the culprit and disabling it for good.

To do so, you are going to have to:

Right-click on any one of the “pink background” shell extensions that you disabled and click on Enable Selected Items to enable it.

Click on Options > Restart Explorer, right-click on your Desktop and see if File Explorer

If File Explorer does not crash, keep on repeating steps 1 and 2, enabling a different third-party shell extension every time,

until File Explorer crashes and you start experiencing the problem again.

The third-party shell extension you enabled just before the problem returned is the culprit.

You can go ahead and enable all of the “pink background” shell extensions you disabled except for this one as this one is the culprit.

Keep this shell extension disabled for good – in fact, it is recommended that you uninstall the third-party application that installed this shell extension

on your computer altogether.

Hope it will hep..If you have any question dont hesitate to mesage here..Thank You!

AnthonyLabramonte, Oct 23, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell

1. File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell - Similar Threads - File Explorer Crashing

2. File Explorer crashes upon opening.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes upon opening.: I just opened my pc today and it started crashing upon opening file explorer. I haven’t modified or installed anything new the day before. I am a bit confused as to why it’s doing this. I’ve tried rebooting and a system file scan and currently on the latest windows version. I...
  3. File Explorer crashes upon opening.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crashes upon opening.: I just opened my pc today and it started crashing upon opening file explorer. I haven’t modified or installed anything new the day before. I am a bit confused as to why it’s doing this. I’ve tried rebooting and a system file scan and currently on the latest windows version. I...
  4. File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell: Hi, File Explorer keeps crashing for me whenever I open a folder or go to any sort of directory and I presume this issue is caused by Open Shell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashing-with-open-shell/a70156ff-126e-4657-bc45-f4edab3f1d2a
  5. File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Crashing with Open Shell: Hi, File Explorer keeps crashing for me whenever I open a folder or go to any sort of directory and I presume this issue is caused by Open Shell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashing-with-open-shell/a70156ff-126e-4657-bc45-f4edab3f1d2a
  6. Opening Office files crashes Explorer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Opening Office files crashes Explorer: Office 2013 Pro Plus. when trying to open doc or excel files maybe other files as well, Clicking on the .doc file goes unresponsive and after awhile closes but crashes explorer ie my desktop refreshes. I can open the same files using the Word or Excel, so the issue seems to...
  7. Open Shell

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open Shell: Those who use or have used Open Shell in the past may understand. I wanted to use a backup which is like an "xslm" file or something like that. I just don't know how to do it or locate the back up. Any help? submitted by /u/iusetiktokandreddit [link] [comments]...
  8. file explore crashes on opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    file explore crashes on opening: file explore is a fuckin bitch cant even boot my computer into safe mod because it just crashes and i refuse to reinstall windows what should I do submitted by /u/Pichumaster114 [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows Explorer/Shell crashes when copy/pasting files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer/Shell crashes when copy/pasting files: Hi there! I've got a similar Problem to this one here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-windows-explorer-keeps-crashing/9805d5e7-ba72-44c7-bf4b-43cce92aecaf Sadly, this hasn't been solved, but my error log is also different to the one in...
  10. File explorer crashes after opening a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer crashes after opening a file: File explorer crashes after I open one file in explorer. The first one opens fine, but then explorer says not responding and crashes. Please help. I have tried all of the troubleshooting fixes i could find online. Clean Boot, resetting the settings in the view-options...