Windows 10: File Explorer crashing with using windows display scaling.

Discus and support File Explorer crashing with using windows display scaling. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Am at Windows 10 V 1803 OS Build 17134.648. I have a 4k monitor and just installed an AMD graphics card. Worked with AMD to resolve but I figured... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Packmn, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Packmn Win User

File Explorer crashing with using windows display scaling.

Am at Windows 10 V 1803 OS Build 17134.648.

I have a 4k monitor and just installed an AMD graphics card. Worked with AMD to resolve but I figured out is cause by scaling. If I don't enable any scaling I don't have the problem but the icons and text is verrrry small on my monitor.

I saw many threads for fixes in older builds, is anyone still having this issue at the build level i am at?

:)

Packmn, Mar 26, 2019

2. Windows 10 scaling display causing explorer crashes

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

This can also occur if you had recently connected a 4K display and was attempting to run at 175% scaling on that display.

Which Build are you currently in?

I would suggest you to check your PC for updates and download the latest builds as there was already a fix for this in Build 14251.

• We fixed an issue where File Explorer would crash frequently when DPI settings were at 175%.
    • We fixed the issue where some PC games would crash switching from windowed mode to full screen, upon game resolution change, or upon launch due to a bug in Windows graphics stack. So play your games! If you run into any issues – please let us know by reporting
      in the Feedback app and include the game title.
    • We fixed the issue where applications such as Narrator, Magnifier, and third-party assistive technologies may experience intermittent issues or crashes.
    Hope this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Mar 26, 2019
  3. McBrain Win User
    Windows 10 scaling display causing explorer crashes

There seems to be a connection between changing the display scaling and explorer crashes.

After installation my scaling was set to 200% by the installation routine. If I change that to 175% I start having issues with the explorer to crash (this is on a brand new installation). When I change it back to 200% all good again.

Searching for the issue, it seems I am not alone, but the only fix at the moment seems to be to change it back to the default size.

Are there any other solutions available? Is there a MS statement about the issue?

(Hardware is a Lenovo Ultrabook with an Intel 5500 graphic chip)

McBrain, Mar 26, 2019
  4. Harvy Win User

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer crashing with using windows display scaling. - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashing

2. Taskbar and File Explorer Continues to Crash Whilst Using File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar and File Explorer Continues to Crash Whilst Using File Explorer: My taskbar keeps resetting and my File Explorer keeps crashing while I am using File Explorer for trying to open games. I've already tried restarting my computer twice, I've run a command prompt already, and I've even tried resetting my graphics driver, yet it continues to...
  3. File Explorer crash using tabs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crash using tabs: Dividi da questo thread. I have the same problem. After reinstalling, did you update the system? Which version is you installed now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crash-using-tabs/87b9893c-5c4c-4816-bb13-7493299d229c
  4. File Explorer crash using tabs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crash using tabs: Dividi da questo thread. I have the same problem. After reinstalling, did you update the system? Which version is you installed now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crash-using-tabs/87b9893c-5c4c-4816-bb13-7493299d229c
  5. Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling: I have many machines running Windows 10. All of these machines are affected by the same issue. The monitors are 2560x1440, for some people this makes things too small. One solution is to adjust the resolution to 1920x1080 but then things are fuzzy. The other option is to...
  6. Windows Explorer crashing due to display scale settings(?)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer crashing due to display scale settings(?): Hi. I recently picked up a 4K monitor to compliment two 1080p panels. Since I added the monitor in, I've noticed that Windows Explorer - windows and taskbar - have been crashing. I typically notice it with some strange window behavior, or programs not wanting to minimize....
  7. Display of files displayed in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Display of files displayed in Windows Explorer: I am running Win10 Pro on a Surface Pro and I want to NOT have the Widows Explorer sub-total my files by date. Unfortunately I can't find anything anywhere that tells me how to accomplish that. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks for your help....
  8. File Explorer display issues, and then crashing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer display issues, and then crashing.: I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone talking about this online, because some of my colleagues had the same issue on the computers we have at work: Since a few weeks, the File Explorer on Windows 10 randomly decides not to display any thumbnails for files, making that browsing...
  9. Windows Custom Color crashes the Settings app when using custom display scaling

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Custom Color crashes the Settings app when using custom display scaling: Hi. I have a problem with custom color on Windows 10. Every time I try to set the custom color, the whole Settings app crashes. It happens only when I use a custom display scaling, not the default. But using custom scaling is very important to me (the default options are...
  10. PNG files don't scale with Display Scaling in Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Support
    PNG files don't scale with Display Scaling in Windows Photo Viewer: I have two 4k monitors, so I have Windows display scaling at 150%. The only problem is that PNGs have begun acting a little off in Windows Photo Viewer. I've attached an image of two of the exact same file, only I re-saved one as a PNG (on the left). As you can see, the PNG...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer and display settings scaling