Windows 10: File Explorer Create date attribute

Discus and support File Explorer Create date attribute in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I change a file create date to any date before 1980, File Explorer does not show the date attribute and sorting by date does not work. I am using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EarlE3, Dec 10, 2019.

1. EarlE3 Win User

File Explorer Create date attribute

When I change a file create date to any date before 1980, File Explorer does not show the date attribute and sorting by date does not work.

I am using Bulk File Changer or Attribute Changer to change the attribute. I believe this is a bug.

:)

EarlE3, Dec 10, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

File Explorer Date Created and Modified not always correct

Hi,

The File Explorer may have encountered a system conflict that caused this issue. For us to start with initial troubleshooting, we'd like to know more information, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • In File Explorer, what does it indicate in the Date column? Does it show Date Modified or Date Created? (right click the Date Modified section at the top, which are the ones that has a checkmark?)
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Xylee Del, Dec 10, 2019
  3. file explorer shows created date not updated date.

Today, I went to Microsoft file explorer and sorted a list of files by date.

Imagine my horror when I saw that they were all old files.

In fact, the problem is that the date displayed is created date, and not updated date.

This is the first time that I have observed this - it has worked OK in the past.

GrahamDLovell, Dec 10, 2019
  4. J80
    J80 Win User

Rules for populating Date attribute of files (e.g., display and sort on Date in Windows (File) Explorer) (image v. sound v. PDF, etc.) (NTFS v. FAT) (Date v. Modified or Created)

The rules populating the Date attribute for files in Windows 10 1809 are not clear and changed substantially between Windows7 and 10. The Windows 10 rule appears to be
    approximately populate Date from Date Modified (or maybe the later of Date Modified and Date Created). Date Last Saved may also be a factor. Sometimes an internal attribute for some file types takes precedence when present:
    Date Taken from exif for many image files takes precedence for Date over Date Modified.

Note I have not found a remotely complete list of internal attribute with corresponding file type (e.g., Date Taken for .jpg)..

Note that copying a file versus moving a file has different effects on Date Created and Date Modified and also depends on the file system (NTFS v. FAT). The only apparently complete rules for several file systems for Windows 7 disappeared. Downloading
    a file can result in Date Created being later than Date Modified.

Note Windows 7 works partially opposite from Windows 10 1809: Win7 Date is the
    earlier of Date Created or Date Modified while Win10 Date is either
    later
    of created or modified OR just uses Date Modified. (My Win10 sample examples didn't distinguish between these cases.)

Thema:

1. File Explorer Create date attribute - Similar Threads - File Explorer Create

2. Incorrect "Date Created" dates in Windows 11 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect "Date Created" dates in Windows 11 File Explorer: I have been having this problem for several months. Regardless of how I create a new file, the Date Created is incorrect. It is from 2008 today the dates is 2/7/2008. This occurs even if copy and paste a file within File Explorer.I've seen posts about utilities that can be...
  3. Incorrect "Date Created" dates in Windows 11 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect "Date Created" dates in Windows 11 File Explorer: I have been having this problem for several months. Regardless of how I create a new file, the Date Created is incorrect. It is from 2008 today the dates is 2/7/2008. This occurs even if copy and paste a file within File Explorer.I've seen posts about utilities that can be...
  4. Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.: Regarding "Date Created dates". I took about 800 photographs in June 2023 using both a Panasonic camera and a Samsung S6 phone. On sorting through these photographs recently, I found that the "Date Created" date had changed on over half these photographs.. This is occurring...
  5. Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.

Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.: Regarding "Date Created dates". I took about 800 photographs in June 2023 using both a Panasonic camera and a Samsung S6 phone. On sorting through these photographs recently, I found that the "Date Created" date had changed on over half these photographs.. This is occurring...
  6. File Explorer "This PC\Desktop" Date column shows date created with heading "Date" only -...

File Explorer "This PC\Desktop" Date column shows date created with heading "Date" only -...: When I open a folder on my Desktop by clicking on the folder icon on the desktop or from File Explorer via This PC\Local Disk C:\Users\[username]\Desktop\Folder\ABC, or pretty much anywhere else except This PC\Desktop the Date column shows Date Modified.If I open it in File...
  7. Bug - File Explorer - Date Created vs Date Modified

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bug - File Explorer - Date Created vs Date Modified: I was going through some files looking for the date I created / made / saved them first and noticed this problem.When I list Date Created and Date Modified in File Explorer, the Date Modified is either equal to possible or earlier than not possible the Date Created. I do not...
  8. Comments attributes unreadable by File Explorer

Comments attributes unreadable by File Explorer: On my Windows 10 PC, the Comments attribute is no longer readable or writable from File Explorer or equivalent like xplorer2. It did work for the first two months I had the PC. This is the case for all file types from all drives and even files on other PCs on the network. The...
  9. Comments attribute unreadable by File Explorer

Comments attribute unreadable by File Explorer: On my Windows 10 PC, the Comments attribute is no longer readable or writable from File Explorer or equivalent like xplorer2. It did work for the first two months I had the PC. This is the case for all file types from all drives and other PCs on the network. The Comments...
  10. File Explorer Display Attributes

File Explorer Display Attributes: In Windows 10 file explorer you can display attributes for a file such as Name, #, Artist, Album etc. for example on an MP3 file. But when I add an additional attribute to the display such as contributing artist or when I sort on an attribute such as Album when I exit out of...