Windows 10: File explorer cut/paste problem

Discus and support File explorer cut/paste problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 10 file explorer occasionally when I cut files from one directory and paste them in another, the whole directory that I'm pasting to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dennisray65, Jun 22, 2016.

1. File explorer cut/paste problem

In Windows 10 file explorer occasionally when I cut files from one directory and paste them in another, the whole directory that I'm pasting to disappears. It happens so fast that its hard to see but it seems like a window pops up deleting the files and the status. The directory that disappears is not in the Trash folder. I have also tried various freeware file recovery programs but they cannot find the file or any of the directories. Its almost if in addition to deleting the directory and files that some kind of process runs that wipes the files off of the disk. I've run virus checking programs and found no issues. Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution?

:)

dennisray65, Jun 22, 2016

2. Cannot Paste a File after Cut or Copy a File because Paste is not available

None of the suggestions have changed the situation. I still cannot cut or copy a FILE and then paste it. Paste is greyed out and cannot be selected. Is there a way that I can be sure the CUT or COPY is moving the data to the clipboard?

Like I said in my original problem description, I can cut or copy and paste DATA from within applications, but not FILES from within File Explorer.

Thanks for any help you may give me.

HarryHankla, Jun 22, 2016
  3. transfer photos to USB drive

1. Select photos in File Explorer.

2. Right-click > Cut/Copy.

3. Plug in and go to USB drive in Explorer.

4. Right-click > Paste.

Or use the Cut/Copy/Paste buttons on the Home tab of the ribbon on top.

RobertJWin, Jun 22, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

File explorer cut/paste problem

Sounds like your install is refreshing the cache for some reason. Have you tried rolling back to a restore point, before it started.

bro67, Jun 22, 2016
  5. I restored my computer to an earlier point. I havent seen that problem again yet. However, now the navigation pane randomly completely disappears even though the check mark to show the navigation pane is there. The only way I have found to correct it so far is to reboot my computer. Any ideas on things to try to correct this?

dennisray65, Jun 26, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Time to track it down to a process that is hanging up.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File explorer cut/paste problem

1. File explorer cut/paste problem - Similar Threads - File explorer cut

2. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer': cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cutcopypaste-disable-in-file-explorer/2d5da5c7-e22a-48e0-922b-f5535697c0d6
  3. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer': cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cutcopypaste-disable-in-file-explorer/2d5da5c7-e22a-48e0-922b-f5535697c0d6
  4. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. cut and paste

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cut and paste: hello i am a user of windows 10 but from the last 2 months the cut copy and paste option is not working properly please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cut-and-paste/e427f24d-0525-4807-9603-50dddf0f00d3
  6. No longer able to cut and paste files using Files Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer able to cut and paste files using Files Explorer: Hello. Suddenly I noticed that when I try to cut and paste files using Files Explorer, the file pastes and the file name shows, but no matter what type of file it is pdf, word, jpg etc., the pasted file seems to be corrupt and cannot be opened. However, the original file...
  7. Sudden problem with cut and pasting of files using Files Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sudden problem with cut and pasting of files using Files Explorer: Hello. Suddenly I noticed that when I try to cut and paste files using Files Explorer, the file pastes and the file name shows, but no matter what type of file it is pdf, word, jpg etc., the pasted file seems to be corrupt and cannot be opened. However, the original file...
  8. Cut and Paste Problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cut and Paste Problems: My work involves a lot of cut and paste. Previously, I could simply highlight text, press the right mouse button, and move to the receiving document where [Ctrl] +V would paste it. I have been having problems with copying for several builds. I found that the steps now needed...
  9. Cut and Paste Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cut and Paste Problem: Occasionally, when I cut a folder and paste it to a new location. Only the folder shows up in the new location minus any files inside that folder - Just where did the files go? Or in an effort to group like folders (Digital Pictures, for example) from different hard drives to...
  10. File Explorer - Copy/Cut and Paste function not working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Copy/Cut and Paste function not working: Hi there, I need some help seeing at MS Support could not solve the problem. When trying to copy and paste a file from File Explorer (or Desktop), my "Paste" operations remains disabled. As if the copy operation never actually copied the file. I also noticed that when I...