Windows 10: File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files

Discus and support File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there,I've noticed that if I change the default program to open xls and xlsx files to an open source one, like libre office, the windows file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RuySevalho Goncalves, May 27, 2021.

1. File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files

Hi there,I've noticed that if I change the default program to open xls and xlsx files to an open source one, like libre office, the windows file explorer does some crazy things. First ctrl+c doesnt copy the files to clipboard anymore. Second I cant select multiple files with the shift key. If I click a file it takes a long time to select. If I change the default program to open the xls and xlsx files back to Microsoft excel the issue is fixed. However I would like to use an opensource program. Is there a fix for these issues? I runing windows 10 pro

:)

RuySevalho Goncalves, May 27, 2021
  2. Callender Win User

How to make Excel 2016 the default app to open xls and xlsx data files

You are supposed to double click on the entry for .xls in control Panel > Set Associations and in the window that opens choose "More Apps" then in the file explorer window that opens up browse to the Excel executable and select it.

File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files [​IMG]

See: Cant find Office applications in Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7? - Office Support

So launch Excel and leave it running. Start Task Manager [Ctrl+Shift+Esc]

In task manager processes tab scroll to excel.exe and right click on it. Choose "open file location" from the list and in the window that opens locate excel.exe and note the folder path. Use that path to browse to the executable in the step above that mentions browsing to the executable.

Callender, May 27, 2021
  3. How to make Excel 2016 the default app to open xls and xlsx data files

Thanks for the info but unfortunately when I double click NOTHING happens *Sad

dshields13, May 27, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files

how to backup only .xls & xlsx files in Win10 on offline computer

Open File Explorer in This PC, type ext:xls to Search. This searches the whole PC for files with extension XLS or an extension starting with XLS (like XLSX). When done, select all files and copy them, paste to anywhere where you want to store them.

(Click to enlarge.)

Thema:

File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files

1. File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files - Similar Threads - File explorer difficulty

2. xlsx file formats not valid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    xlsx file formats not valid: i have files that i lost on a external drice i have recovered them but try to open and i get xlsx file formats not valid i have tried all steps that i have read up on with no results im stumped is there any other steps or solutions that i may try...
  3. Indexing does not support XLS and XLSX files on Server 2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing does not support XLS and XLSX files on Server 2019: I have a Server 2019 setup with about 1 TB in files and indexing is working, but it is missing the .xls and .xlsx file extensions in the indexing options, while it does included .doc and .docx. I have tried to add it manually, but that uses a plain text filter and that does...
  4. Indexing does not support XLS and XLSX files on Server 2019

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing does not support XLS and XLSX files on Server 2019: I have a Server 2019 setup with about 1 TB in files and indexing is working, but it is missing the .xls and .xlsx file extensions in the indexing options, while it does included .doc and .docx. I have tried to add it manually, but that uses a plain text filter and that does...
  5. Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files

in Cortana
    Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files: I am using MS Office Home & Student 2019. I am using Windows 11. I cannot find the answer to this problem anywhere. I think the problem started when I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11.Windows Explorer will not search for text within .docx and .xlsx files, but it will find text...
  6. xls files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    xls files: Good Day I am working from home so I transferred all documenttion from my Work Computer to a Usb but when I try to open it shows as a xls file and not exe. I eventually got it open from my Computer but when I email the documents they can't open it Please assist urgently...
  7. Difficulty pasting into file explorer full of folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Difficulty pasting into file explorer full of folders: If I need to copy a folder into another folder and I have the destination folder open in Details View there is a small problem. To paste, I need to right click in the file explorer but if there is no room in the window I can't right click without the paste ending up inside a...
  8. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf: Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird workaround: Open File Explorer, Highlight (click on) the file I want to preview. Nothing but a ding sound indicating a little window...
  9. how to backup only .xls & xlsx files in Win10 on offline computer

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how to backup only .xls & xlsx files in Win10 on offline computer: how to backup only .xls & xlsx files in Win10 Pro Insider on offline computer ( no internet connection but office pro 2016 installed , most times no login to MS account on my uncles PC ) so that I can backup only excel files with extension .xls & .xlsx over portable HDD...
  10. How to make Excel 2016 the default app to open xls and xlsx data files

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to make Excel 2016 the default app to open xls and xlsx data files: I know how I'm supposed to do it, SETTINGS==>DEFAULT APPS==>CHOOSE THE DEFAULT APP BY FILE TYPE, but Excel 2016 is not an option. Instead, it tries to send me to the App Store. I think I have tried everything except reinstalling Office. 63196