Windows 10: File Explorer: Disable dragged-file's ghostly icon image

Discus and support File Explorer: Disable dragged-file's ghostly icon image in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Anytime I drag a file(s) in a folder window, a translucent, oversized icon follows the mouse pointer, partially obscuring up to 4 nearby items. Can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mark99k, Jan 12, 2016.

1. mark99k Win User

File Explorer: Disable dragged-file's ghostly icon image

Anytime I drag a file(s) in a folder window, a translucent, oversized icon follows the mouse pointer, partially obscuring up to 4 nearby items.

Can this effect be disabled? I'm sure somebody at MS thought it was slick idea, but it just gives me a headache. I haven't found a setting that controls it -- maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot. (Am guessing, while this isn't an "animation" per se, it's in the same general category.)

Thanks a ton for any clues.

Mark

:)

mark99k, Jan 12, 2016
  2. hwraleigh Win User

New and Disruptive Files Icon Behavior

Please see

Elephant size drag and drop 'icon'/image

Windows 10 - Very large icon when copying or moving files in File Explorer......

I'm not the only person with this problem.

hwraleigh, Jan 12, 2016
  3. Disable "Quick Access"

To disable Quick Access without breaking drag-drop support, try the edit here:

How To Remove Quick Access, Folders (6) And Other Shell Folders From File Explorer?:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/remove-quick-access-other-shell-folders-file-explorer/

Note that this disables Quick Access functionality, but the Quick Access star icon would be still present, but dimmed and non-expandable. My edit sets the quick access shell folder DWORD to 88000.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 12, 2016
Thema:

File Explorer: Disable dragged-file's ghostly icon image

1. File Explorer: Disable dragged-file's ghostly icon image - Similar Threads - File Explorer Disable

2. Windows Explorer file drag icon and transparency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer file drag icon and transparency: Hello,when I drag a file on the Desktop, the file icon is transparent but when I drag a file in "Windows Explorer" the icon is not transparent and a part of the application is hidden by the icon, can you change this behavior so that the icon is transparent like on Desktop...
  3. Windows Explorer file drag icon and transparency

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer file drag icon and transparency: Hello,when I drag a file on the Desktop, the file icon is transparent but when I drag a file in "Windows Explorer" the icon is not transparent and a part of the application is hidden by the icon, can you change this behavior so that the icon is transparent like on Desktop...
  4. File Explorer image icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer image icons: I am viewing these images as ''Large Icons"', how can i get rid of the blue squares in front of them? They are obscuring my preview of the images. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-image-icons/057318b7-13ab-49c9-aaa0-40a4c3723e65
  5. File Explorer image icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer image icons: I am viewing these images as ''Large Icons"', how can i get rid of the blue squares in front of them? They are obscuring my preview of the images. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-image-icons/057318b7-13ab-49c9-aaa0-40a4c3723e65
  6. File Explorer image icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Wierd icons on images in File explorer

Wierd icons on images in File explorer: How do you turn these off? I don't even know what they are for? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wierd-icons-on-images-in-file-explorer/2fabede7-20e4-4fdd-ad36-51d81da06380
  8. Disable thumbnails that appear when you drag a file in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable thumbnails that appear when you drag a file in File Explorer?: "How do I turn off the thumbnail that appears when dragging/dropping files in File Explorer in Windows 10? This thumbnail obscures the destination folder, making the drop zone a hit & miss scenario."* Also, how to disable the same kind of thumbnails that pop up when I hover...
  9. Ghost file image on screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ghost file image on screen: Hello, calling on site techs to help me solve a puzzle . For the last couple of weeks, when Ive had a image or video file on my screen, and deleted it, ghost image of file remains . No true image , just file . When I try to delete it, a dialogue box comes up that says, file...
  10. "Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted

"Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted: I uninstalled Dropbox from several computers, which worked fine on all but one, a desktop PC on the latest version of Win 10. On this PC, it left a "ghost" folder icon named "dropbox" that looks like a white document: [ATTACH] I cannot delete it, as the right-click menu...