Windows 10: file explorer disappear when try to save a document to network drive

Discus and support file explorer disappear when try to save a document to network drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Does anyone encounter issue like that? lately one user from my office have such weird issue, it happens a lot to her. I catch the issue twice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Danna Zhang (dzhang), Nov 8, 2018.

1. file explorer disappear when try to save a document to network drive

Hi,

Does anyone encounter issue like that? lately one user from my office have such weird issue, it happens a lot to her.

I catch the issue twice with her.

the work around I tried: 1> clean cache 2>disable some unused software services from start up

the issue disappeared for a short while but it come back later, so anyway we can get it resolved permanently?

any suggestion would be nice.

thank you

BR

:)

Danna Zhang (dzhang), Nov 8, 2018
  2. BobZ Win User

Unable to Save to Documents

I can't move, copy or save anything to my Documents folder. I checked the properties of the folder, under serurity it listed only Home Users and WMP Network Svc. My account name is listed in the srcurity tabs of Pictures, Music, etc., and I am able to save, copy and move to those folders. My account is listed in C:/Windows/Users/myname/Documents under the security tab. How do I add my name to the Documents folder in File Explorer? I think that should fix my problem.

In a not so critical glitch, my computer will not go to sleep using the power settings in the control panel.

BobZ, Nov 8, 2018
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    how to copy files from the CD to the Computer drive

Hi Hankriegler,

I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click file explorer from the list.

• Select the CD/DVD drive and hit Enter.

• Select the files you want to copy from the CD/DVD, then select the drive where you want to paste or save.
    I hope the information is helpful.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Apodsim Win User

file explorer disappear when try to save a document to network drive

Optical Drive Disappears from File Explorer

After much procrastination on upgrading a perfectly good Windows 7 operating system, I took the leap and successfully upgrading to Windows 10 over Two months ago. After completing the upgrade, I though wow what a great product. All of the installed drives, devices etc. were listed and worked just as before. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my Blu-ray drive was no longer listed in File Explorer. I checked Device Manager and it was listed and showed to be working properly. I found similar but not identical issues several forms related to a device disappearing so I tried some of the suggestions all of which did not cause the optical drive to appear as before. Since the drive is less than 3 months old, I contacted manufacturer support and was told that this is a know problem when upgrading to Windows 10 vs. a new install and was advised to contact Microsoft support. The manufacture technician provided some suggestions and was advised that I should not attempt on my own and let Microsoft Support make the suggested changes.

OK, time to weed through the Microsoft maze to find a method to report what I consider a bug, considering that I did not have any issue with Windows 7. First chat session, a Microsoft support person connected to my computer remotely and performed the same procedures that I had already done so I put up with 1-1/2 of them digging though my computer in the hopes that issue could be identified. The command reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0000001 was executed as recommended by drive manufacturer and rebooted. The drive showed up in File Explorer and assumed this was the fix. This lasted approximately one week and then the optical drive again disappeared from File Explorer but shows in Device Manager and working properly.

Contacted Microsoft support chat again, when though the complete story and after 2 hours of remote connection to my computer the following Registry entries were added (as recommended by Drive Manufacturer) followed by a re-start:
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice2 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice3 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice4 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

End result, no change, the optical drive was not listed in File Explorer. The last comment from technical support before re-st was if this does not work the optical drive is not compatible with Windows 10*Eek Interesting how a device works properly for 6 weeks and now is not compatible with Windows 10.

I performed some not technical troubleshooting like manually ejecting the drive tray and inserting a disk. After the disk read completes, now the drive is listed under File Explorer and played without any problem. After ejecting the disk, the drive disappears again from File Explorer.

In summary, my opinion is that Microsoft released Windows 10 before thoroughly testing the operating system and relies on customer complaints to fix what should have been identified during the Beta testing. This evident by the "complimentary" support as it termed in the message sent at the end of the chat session. Perhaps someone from Microsoft with more than basic troubleshooting knowledge will read this post and consider addressing this problem.

Apodsim, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

file explorer disappear when try to save a document to network drive

1. file explorer disappear when try to save a document to network drive - Similar Threads - file explorer disappear

2. When I try to save a file in any app, to a network drive, the network drive does not show....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to save a file in any app, to a network drive, the network drive does not show....: I have recently setup a network between my two home computers, both running windows 11. I can see and access files on both computers in file explorer but I cannot see or access them in any of my applications. What is the problem?...
  3. When I try to save a file in any app, to a network drive, the network drive does not show....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I try to save a file in any app, to a network drive, the network drive does not show....: I have recently setup a network between my two home computers, both running windows 11. I can see and access files on both computers in file explorer but I cannot see or access them in any of my applications. What is the problem?...
  4. Files Saving to Subfolder When Saving to Network Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files Saving to Subfolder When Saving to Network Drive: Hi, I am having trouble when saving files to network drive. The files are set to save to the network drive directly, but instead are going to a subfolder in that network drive. Anyone have any idea why this is? It is imperative that the be saved to the network drive directly...
  5. Files Saving to Subfolder When Saving to Network Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Saving to Subfolder When Saving to Network Drive: Hi, I am having trouble when saving files to network drive. The files are set to save to the network drive directly, but instead are going to a subfolder in that network drive. Anyone have any idea why this is? It is imperative that the be saved to the network drive directly...
  6. Files Saving to Subfolder When Saving to Network Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Cannot create a new folder in file explorer or when trying to save a document to a new folder

Cannot create a new folder in file explorer or when trying to save a document to a new folder: I have tried all the "fixes" in the community forum dating back to 2011. None have worked. Has Microsoft found a solution to this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-a-new-folder-in-file-explorer-or/cb153b5a-8fa6-4fbb-ac33-a6fe6e5ee8f7
  8. Trying to save a word or excel or PDF or text document in the network drive but it...

Trying to save a word or excel or PDF or text document in the network drive but it...: Hi, Using Windows 10 machine, Word 2016 64-bit. Issue: When I use save as options and select the G: folder G Drive is the network drive from the excel menu it defaults to D: Documents Local D drive rather than the location I select. I tried to change the Trusted...
  9. Saved Documents within File Explorer will not open

Saved Documents within File Explorer will not open: Help, I have a Windows 10 operating system on a Lenovo YOGA 730-13 Laptop. I also have OneDrive both personal and from Work. Currently, I save several types of documents Word, Excel, PPT, etc. within folders that I have created and placed on my Desktop. The Problem:...
  10. When I try to print it tries to save the document.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When I try to print it tries to save the document.: This did not happen before the update a day or so ago. All files try to save when I try to print. I have looked at 'print to file' and this is not checked. I have manually set my HP Pro 8715as the default printer. I have used the trouble shoot and there is not an issue. I...