Windows 10: File Explorer Displaying Different View Mode for the Same Folder

Discus and support File Explorer Displaying Different View Mode for the Same Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have been moving the Users directory from the C drive (SystemDrive) to another drive for several years now ever since Windows 7. I initially... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by willowen100, Jun 9, 2020.

1. File Explorer Displaying Different View Mode for the Same Folder

Hi

I have been moving the Users directory from the C drive (SystemDrive) to another drive for several years now ever since Windows 7. I initially discovered a Windows 7 tutorial that involved changing a Registry entry to move the `ProfilesDirectory` on an existing Windows installation by setting the default profile directory to a different location affecting all new users. It has worked flawlessly for me in all Windows versions from Windows 7 and up, and despite Microsoft saying that major upgrades weren't possible this was never a problem for me as I did clean installs any time I wanted to upgrade to a new build whilst keeping a backup in-between in the event it did go wrong.

Code:
    %SystemDrive%\Users to D:Users

The problem I have found in the last few versions of Windows 10 (typically version 1909 and 2004) is that any custom folders located in your user profile directory that are pinned in Quick access in File Explorer have a different view mode compared to navigating through it's full path e.g. This PC > D:\Users\Name\custom_folder

Yesterday I followed Kari's tutorial here > Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 applying the `Unattend.xml` file for Sysprep on a Windows 10 x64, version 2004 to move the profiles directory during a clean install to see if it would behave any differently compared the Registry Editor method on an existing Windows installation I have done prior. There is no difference.

The video below shows the different views inside File Explorer for the exact same folder, just accessed different ways.

File Explorer Displaying Different View Mode for the Same Folder [​IMG]

The first part of the video I open File Explorer, go to the Quick access link and demonstrate that the view mode shows as Details. Secondly I close the File Explorer window, right click on the icon from the Taskbar and click the same Quick access link, this time showing me the Extra large icons view mode. Lastly I have noticed that right clicking File Explorer from the Taskbar and clicking one of the Quick access links is not the same as left clicking the same Quick access link in an already open File Explorer window. This is why in the last part of the video you can see me breadcrumb navigating between to the places, with File Explorer showing the blue, highlighted box around the current directory in the Navigation pane.

Anyone else had similar issues or noticed this behaviour?

Will

:)

willowen100, Jun 9, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Jun 9, 2020
  3. I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 9, 2020
  4. File Explorer Displaying Different View Mode for the Same Folder

Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer Displaying Different View Mode for the Same Folder

1. File Explorer Displaying Different View Mode for the Same Folder - Similar Threads - File Explorer Displaying

2. File Explorer: can't get files in sub folders to adopt same display/view

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: can't get files in sub folders to adopt same display/view: File Explorer:Files view is currently "detailed" and I want all files in sub folders to be "list" view. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-cant-get-files-in-sub-folders-to/a0b96376-f719-4b51-af9a-27cb89cda91b
  3. File Explorer: can't get files in sub folders to adopt same display/view

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: can't get files in sub folders to adopt same display/view: File Explorer:Files view is currently "detailed" and I want all files in sub folders to be "list" view. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-cant-get-files-in-sub-folders-to/a0b96376-f719-4b51-af9a-27cb89cda91b
  4. File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder: File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-cant-get-sub-folders-to-adopt-same/a0b96376-f719-4b51-af9a-27cb89cda91b
  5. File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder: File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-cant-get-sub-folders-to-adopt-same/a0b96376-f719-4b51-af9a-27cb89cda91b
  6. File Explorer Folder view

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Folder view: Has there been a solution to the age old problem of the File Explorer Folder view randomly changing? 183414
  7. Different views of same disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Different views of same disk: By using different programs to view same disk Samsung 960 evo, 2550GB although that's not very important. Disk management: Macrium Reflect: Mini tool partition partition wizard: Free Partition manager AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro. Easus Partition Master: 177725
  8. Changing views of folders and files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing views of folders and files in File Explorer: New to Windows 10 here from Windows 7 and am having lots of difficulty adjusting to how to see my folders and files. For example, I don't want to see clusters of numerically named folders and files and then A-H, I-P etc. I want to see all folders on top, in order of date...
  9. File Explorer folder view

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer folder view: On a working folder, my desktop File Explorer has "Add Columns" grayed out. Likewise all parent folders up to and including "Documents." If I copy that same working folder to a thumb drive, then File Explorer on the desktop reading the thumb drive WILL allow me to add...
  10. File Explorer same view for all files

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer same view for all files: I want File Explore to show all files in list view. 64653