Windows 10: File explorer does not open - appears only as an icon on taskbar but will not maximise

Discus and support File explorer does not open - appears only as an icon on taskbar but will not maximise in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For about 2 weeks the File Explorer will not function - regardless of from where I try it, will only appear as small icon on Taskbar. The icon will not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nlangsley, May 18, 2019.

1. Nlangsley Win User

File explorer does not open - appears only as an icon on taskbar but will not maximise

For about 2 weeks the File Explorer will not function - regardless of from where I try it, will only appear as small icon on Taskbar. The icon will not maximise though if mouse hoovers over it opens in miniature (but no good). If I go into Word or PDF I can pen the relevant documents but this complicated and doesn't allow me to copy/paste files.

So far I have tried the following solutions but all without success......please help

Solution 1 – Run netsh and winsock reset

Solution 2 – Hide hidden files and folders

Solution 3 – Disable Quick Access and File Preview features

Solution 4 – Enable Launch folder windows in a separate process

Solution 5 – Perform a clean boot

Solution 6 – Reset the file associations

Solution 7 –sfc /scannow in admin

:)

Nlangsley, May 18, 2019

2. Taskbar not Maximising Tasks - Windows 10

I have an issue where certain items in my taskbar are not maximising when opening and are locked in a minimised state on the taskbar. Tried the CCleaner, System Maintenance and SFC suggestions (from the file explorer not responding posts) and the unpinning
    and disabling snap suggestions (on taskbar items not maximising posts for older versions of Windows) with no luck. This was actually a problem I had a while back near release of Windows 10, but then I had Edge and the actual startup menu not responding either.
    Got to the point where I got sick of tinkering and reinstalled Windows 10 - in hindsight I should have probably reverted to Windows 7. It worked for a while, but file explorer stopped working again a few days ago and today my EA Origin has stopped maximising. It's
    weird as it appears in QuickView (by hovering over the File Explorer/Origin icon in the toolbar), but it just won't maximize - doesn't respond at all.

Any suggestions as to what else I can try would be greatly appreciated before more items stop maximising and I'm stuck with reinstalling Windows for another time. Thank you!

Psykhosis007, May 18, 2019
  3. Windows 10 file explorer on taskbar creates a new icon on the taskbar when i open it.

This can occur if the taskbar's pinned files get corrupted. Luckily the fix is pretty simple:

• Close all folder windows.
    • Right-click and "unpin" all Explorer icons from the taskbar
    • Open File Explorer once more
    • Right-click the displayed icon on the taskbar and choose the Pin to Taskar option
    That should fix it up.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 18, 2019
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer does not open - appears only as an icon on taskbar but will not maximise

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, May 18, 2019
Thema:

1. File explorer does not open - appears only as an icon on taskbar but will not maximise - Similar Threads - File explorer does

2. Windows Explorer does not appear as program to open .gz files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer does not appear as program to open .gz files: I have a Windows 11 machine where I can open .zip file or .gz file to see the content of the files without un-zipping.I also have a Windows 10 machine but on it, gz/zip file show as non-associated file type as the icon is a plain file icon.So I tried a suggestion from here:...
  3. Task manager icon does not appear on taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager icon does not appear on taskbar: Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.755Right click on "Start" -> Task manager --- Task manager launches with no icon on taskbarIf I use Ctrl+Shift+Esc or Search the Task manager and launch it, then icon appears as it should be....
  4. Task manager icon does not appear on taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager icon does not appear on taskbar: Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.755Right click on "Start" -> Task manager --- Task manager launches with no icon on taskbarIf I use Ctrl+Shift+Esc or Search the Task manager and launch it, then icon appears as it should be....
  5. Taskbar icons for File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons for File Explorer: I've always kept File Explorer (Windows Explorer) pinned to my taskbar, and the familiar 'folder' icon made it quick and easy to find and click. With Windows 10, this icon now changes, depending on what kind of folder I'm looking through. For example, if I'm looking at my...
  6. File Explorer icon on TASKBAR

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer icon on TASKBAR: I clicked "something" and the File Explorer icon has disappeared. Can't find how to reactivate and pin it to the taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-icon-on-taskbar/aa43e35f-8e49-4f9f-b66b-7465e1862762
  7. file explorer icon on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    file explorer icon on taskbar: My "file explorer icon" has disappeared from my taskbar. don't know how or when. where do I find it or how do I put it back there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/file-explorer-icon-on-taskbar/393db9be-718c-4052-92b0-e76ac3d3052c
  8. Excel Icon on taskbar does not open file, only program

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel Icon on taskbar does not open file, only program: I've been running Windows 10 since last August, after upgrading from Win 8.1 on my Asus laptop. I use the taskbar (launchbar?) to start my favourite programs, such as Excel, and some 8-10 files are stacked on the icon so I can right-click the icon and select/open my desired...
  9. Windows explorer icon does not appear on thr taskbar.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer icon does not appear on thr taskbar.: When I connect an usb flash drive to usb port, the windows explorer icon appears on the task bar of my windows 10 pro and I can safely remove the same. But when I connect my android tab or other smart phones, the windows explorer icon does not appear on the taskbar. Therefore...
  10. Explorer Windows all open as Maximised

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Windows all open as Maximised: I have a tablet pc which I run NOT in tablet mode, but as a regular desktop pc. When I open an Explorer window (from the shortcut on the taskbar or by WinKey+E on the (soft) keyboard), it always opens it maximised. I can subsequently restore it down to a better size, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer opens in task bar only

2. file explorer does not open from pinned taskbar

3. file explorer not loading content from taskbar

4. file explorer looks open on task bar but will not open,
  5. file explorer only appears in task bar wont open,
  6. file explorer will not maximise from task bar,
  7. file explorer opens only on taskbar