Windows 10: File Explorer does not refresh automatically when creating new folders, deleting items, etc.

Discus and support File Explorer does not refresh automatically when creating new folders, deleting items, etc. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; There is a bug with Windows that has been around for a while now and that is that the Desktop and File Explorer do not refresh automatically when a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nzarbayezidmain, May 26, 2023.

1. File Explorer does not refresh automatically when creating new folders, deleting items, etc.

There is a bug with Windows that has been around for a while now and that is that the Desktop and File Explorer do not refresh automatically when a mapped network drive is no longer connected. To my disappointment, this bug is still present in Windows 10 and Windows 11.

When creating a New Folder on the Desktop, no folder icon is shown and therefore it appears as if you're not creating a new folder. However, if you manually refresh the desktop, the icon will appear with the folder name in edit mode. If you do not refresh, you'll inadvertently create a 'New Folder' on the desktop.

This is the same with moving or deleting items off the Desktop as well. You'll delete the files or move the folders, but without refreshing, it will not display those changes. Even right-clicking the Recycle Bin to empty it will still show a full Recycle Bin. This bug occurs within File Explorer as well, such as Pinned folders in Quick Access, i.e. Downloads, My Documents, etc.

It's an annoying bug and shouldn't happen. I have mapped drives from my work network that become disconnected when I am at home or not using a VPN to my work network. What causes the bug is that the mapped drives become part of your Quick Access, either by 'Recently used' or 'Frequently Used' and any files accessed within those network folders will appear in Quick Access as recently used a well, however, they become inaccessible once you're no longer connected to the network. When they're no longer accessible, the automatic refresh of Desktop/File Explorer no longer functions.

I have not discovered a proper fix for this bug (Yes, I've done everything in terms of Windows updates, drivers, and even clean installed Windows). There may be a fix or patch by editing the registry, however, others had no success and I do not feel like I should be editing the registry.

There is a workaround. You'll have to give up the features of Quick Access, however. To solve this issue, you have to "Clear File Explorer history" to get rid of any recently used/frequently used network items, then uncheck the boxes for "Show recently used files in Quick Access" and "Show frequently used folders in Quick Access". You can access this menu by opening up File Explorer and clicking the three dots "..." icon, click Options to see the Folder Options and it's under the General tab. This workaround will still allow you to keep the pinned folders in Quick Access, granted they're not network folders that will become disconnected.

submitted by /u/nzarbayezidmain
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nzarbayezidmain, May 26, 2023
  2. soulee06 Win User

Automatic Refresh bug still present in Windows 11- Desktop, File Explorer do not refresh automatically when creating new folders, deleting items, etc.

There is a bug with Windows that has been around for awhile now and that is that the Desktop and File Explorer do not refresh automatically when a mapped network drive is no longer connected. To my disappointment, this bug is still present in Windows 11.

When creating a New Folder on the Desktop, no folder icon is shown and therefore it appears as if you're not creating a new folder. However, if you manually refresh the desktop, the icon will appear with the folder name in edit mode. If you do not refresh, you'll inadvertently create a 'New Folder' on the desktop.

This is the same with moving or deleting items off Desktop as well. You'll delete the files or move the folders, but without refreshing, it will not display those changes. Even right clicking the Recycle Bin to empty it will still show a full Recycle Bin. This bug occurs within File Explorer as well, such as Pinned folders in Quick Access, i.e Downloads, My Documents, etc.

It's an annoying bug and shouldn't happen. I have mapped drives from my work network that become disconnected when I am at home or not using a VPN to my work's network. What causes the bug is that the mapped drives become part of your Quick Access, either by 'Recently used' or 'Frequently Used' and any files accessed within those network folders will appear in Quick Access as recently used a well, however, they become inaccessible once you're no longer connected to the network. When they're no longer accessible, the automatic refresh of Desktop/File Explorer no longer functions.

I have not discovered a proper fix for this bug (Yes, I've done everything in terms of Windows updates, drivers, even clean installed Windows). There may be a fix or patch by editing registry, however, others had no success and I do not feel like I should be editing the registry.

There is a workaround. You'll have to give up the features of Quick Access, however. To solve this issue, you have to "Clear File Explorer history" to get rid of any recently used/frequently used network items, then uncheck the boxes for "Show recently used files in Quick Access" and "Show frequently used folders in Quick Access". You can access this menu by opening up File Explorer and clicking the three dots "..." icon, click Options to see the Folder Options and it's under the General tab. This workaround will still allow you to keep the pinned folders in Quick Access, granted they're not network folders that will become disconnected.

soulee06, May 26, 2023
  3. Paddy Win User
    Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc.

Same in the safe mode, no changes...

I have tried pretty much all those suggestions from various sites, but none of them worked for me.
    What I have seems to be a major issue, they even call it WEDR bug.
    The only thing that slightly changed recently... sometimes, a few times I managed to get automatic refresh for the Desktop, if I for example do the right click and create a new folder, it does create instantly and is visible straight away.... hoewever this never happens in Windows Explorer... I think I once got a file in C: to be processed automatically but thats it... and never had ANY automatic refresh for any of the folders and files on external drives.

Paddy, May 26, 2023
  4. gudiya#1 Win User

File Explorer does not refresh automatically when creating new folders, deleting items, etc.

creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Thanks, the step you mentioned

Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.
    • Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

It's working for me. But my new folder option is not working anywhere not in desktop as well as not in file explorer. Whenever I am placing my cursor on new folder option, its first spinning for few seconds then goes to close the file
    explorer and refresh the desktop once.

gudiya#1, May 26, 2023
Thema:

File Explorer does not refresh automatically when creating new folders, deleting items, etc.

1. File Explorer does not refresh automatically when creating new folders, deleting items, etc. - Similar Threads - File Explorer does

2. Windows 11 Explorer doesn't refresh when a new folder or file gets created - FIXED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Explorer doesn't refresh when a new folder or file gets created - FIXED: Uninstall OneDrive :-. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-explorer-doesnt-refresh-when-a-new/b0c86fc0-0ee5-4684-b4ab-f2964b3ed8e2
  3. Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?: I have a user who is having issues with his explorer on Windows 10 latest build. When creating folders or files, the explorer isn't refreshing and has to manually refresh to see changes made to the folder. I've tried numerous solutions and I was just wondering if someone has...
  4. Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?: I have a user who is having issues with his explorer on Windows 10 latest build. When creating folders or files, the explorer isn't refreshing and has to manually refresh to see changes made to the folder. I've tried numerous solutions and I was just wondering if someone has...
  5. Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder

File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder: Just tonight, File Explorer started crashing every time I tried to create a new folder. I have rebooted my computer several times and tried multiple fixes. None have worked. And yes, this is a Windows 10 Computer I bought just a few months ago....
  7. WIN10: DOES NOT REFRESH WHEN CREATING OR DELETING FOLDER

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIN10: DOES NOT REFRESH WHEN CREATING OR DELETING FOLDER: Hi, The problem is tha when a create a new folder, or delete one, I need to press F5 refresh in order to see the changes... Thanks a lot! Dante...
  8. File explorer crashes when creating new folder!

File explorer crashes when creating new folder!: this only happens when creating a new folder, and only on my user... Whenever I try it on an alternate account, it doesn't happen... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-creating-new-folder/a08bfd61-3538-4a89-87d7-33aa39006a63"
  9. File Explorer freezes when creating new folders

File Explorer freezes when creating new folders: Hi, My problem is exactly as the title says. Every time I try to create a new folder, File Explorer freezes and then crashes after about a minute or two. I really wanna fix this as I am a student and need folders to organize my files but I don't really know how to proceed...
  10. "Could not find this item" when trying to create new file/folder/etc. in Documents or Desktop

"Could not find this item" when trying to create new file/folder/etc. in Documents or Desktop: Hi, Running Win 10 Pro 1803 and having issues on ONE of my users accounts when trying to copy files or create new items on the Desktop or within the Documents folder. I get the error message "Could not find this item" and "This is no longer located in C:\....." I've...