Windows 10: File Explorer does not replace image files

Discus and support File Explorer does not replace image files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I drag or paste an image into a folder it doesn't update. If I refresh it doesn't update. If I close and reopen File Explorer, the image remains... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by i'mFG, Jun 1, 2019.

1. i'mFG Win User

File Explorer does not replace image files

When I drag or paste an image into a folder it doesn't update. If I refresh it doesn't update. If I close and reopen File Explorer, the image remains unchanged. Even more with dds files.

I'm not talking about anything but replacing 1 dds with another by any method. The only thing that seems to work is saving. When I save over another file, it replaces the old one and when I look at it in File Explorer it is changed.

Nothing else works. I have to make a new folder just to replace a dds image. Yes, I can open Gimp, or other app, and go through the process. But, I shouldn't have to. This started after I reset Windows some months ago. After having other problems after resetting, I went through the process again. And I still have this issue.

I didn't far back, but has this been solved? Thanks.

:)

i'mFG, Jun 1, 2019

2. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jun 1, 2019
  3. Aquinus Win User
    Increase image file upload size cap

Okay, first off, people need to learn to calm down. That includes the OP and everyone replying. I would consider this a very legitimate concern he raises and I'll explain why and what I would suggest to fix it to address all the concerns brought up.

I see three sides to this.
    • OneMoar wants to upload bigger files. Generally speaking, most users are lazy so this is a valid concern from a usability standpoint. While I do believe there should be an upload limit, there should be a separate storage limit.
    • Concern with bandwidth: I suspect that uploading images is a relatively small amount of bandwidth and that serving up said images is much more costly. So that would put emphasis on getting not putting if bandwidth is a concern.
    • Storage, a very real concern because a lot of images adds up quickly which adds a need to efficiently store said images.
    So my suggestion (assuming W1zz wanted to do this out of kindness of his heart,) is this:
    • Increase upload limit to 10-20MB max.
    • Institute a storage limit of 2-5MB max.
    • Use PHP's GD library to convert uploaded images to JPEG or PNG.
      • PNGs tend to look nicer than JPEGs, but use more space. Probably preferable for smaller images or images requiring transparency.
      • JPEG tends to be very flexible when it comes to quality and the amount of compression. PHP's GD lib gives you control over this.
    So long as the image is uploaded in a format GD can read which includes most commonly used formats, it may not be unrealistic to re-store it in a different format. It's also not unrealistic to use GD to scale the image as well.

I've used GD before and it's relatively easy to use and is relatively quick with respect to performance. I would be willing to write up some examples with respect to how to do it if it were welcomed.

Side note: I see a watermark, GD might be getting used already so this might not be a stretch if the CPU cycles are there to spare.

Aquinus, Jun 1, 2019
  4. File Explorer does not replace image files

[HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer does not replace image files

1. File Explorer does not replace image files - Similar Threads - File Explorer does

2. File Explorer image icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer image icons: I am viewing these images as ''Large Icons"', how can i get rid of the blue squares in front of them? They are obscuring my preview of the images. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-image-icons/057318b7-13ab-49c9-aaa0-40a4c3723e65
  3. File Explorer image icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer image icons: I am viewing these images as ''Large Icons"', how can i get rid of the blue squares in front of them? They are obscuring my preview of the images. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-image-icons/057318b7-13ab-49c9-aaa0-40a4c3723e65
  4. File Explorer image icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Win10 File Explorer replacement

Win10 File Explorer replacement: Although due to some properties use this program, I want to ask tips on how fully replace it. Total Commander file manager is OK, but for example, working with the home network is is unsatisfactory and complex. Needs a plugin for this(?). Or at least I can't operate me. Does...
  6. W10 Themes replaced with Image file directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    W10 Themes replaced with Image file directory: Periodically, while processing a set of image files with Adobe Photoshop, my designated Windows 10 Theme will be automatically replaced by a Background image or slideshow, usually drawn from the image files directory where I am working. As I work with book and manuscript...
  7. Most image thumbnails replaced by icons in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Most image thumbnails replaced by icons in file explorer: Most of my image thumbnails have recently been replaced by icons. I'm not aware of any action that precipitated this change. This only affects some files, but it affects multiple folders, sizes/ages of file and file types. There seems to be no pattern to which files...
  8. File Explorer > Open With replacement?

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer > Open With replacement?: It seems like the simple "open with" dialog has gotten worse with every version of Windows since they invented it. I avoided Win8/8.1, but cannot avoid Win10... and this is a feature that I use regularly, and absolutely hate what MS has done with it in Win10. I've already...
  9. Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement

Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement: I've been around since Windows 3.1 days and used the standard file/windows explorer, but getting frustrated by the limitations in Windows 10. Right now I have a mixed network, mainly Windows 7 Ultimate PCs plus a Windows 10 Home Laptop, plus a Linux Mint and a Linux based...
  10. file explorer mirror image

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer mirror image: my file explorer has started to display from right to left instead of the default left to right is there a fix ? 42137