Windows 10: File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:

Discus and support File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y: in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I cant get drive letter Y: to show up in file explorer. I noticed this first when I tried to map a network drive Y: to a valid location. Permissions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mjohnsonn2, Feb 6, 2021.

1. File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:

I cant get drive letter Y: to show up in file explorer.

I noticed this first when I tried to map a network drive Y: to a valid location. Permissions all good. Everything went smoothly. In fact when I went through the process to map another drive, I could even see the first mapping to Y: and any attempt to use Y: again said it was already mapped. Problem was that Drive Y: did not show up in file explorer. Other mappings to the same server show up fine.

Now before we go down a mapping issues rabbit holeI checked permissions, I rebooted multiple times, I did a use net Y: /delete, I know the credentials to log in to the server, I checked reconnect, SFC and DISM found nothing. The problem also shows up when there is no mapping or network involved....

After I deleted the Y: mapping with use net, letter Y: was available and I could easily assign drive letter Y: to USB drives directly on the system (no network involved). This was verified by seeing the USB drive Y: in Windows Disk Management, in MiniTool Partition Wizard, in Hard Disk Sentinel, and at the command prompt. I definitely assigned letter Y:, but again, no drive letter Y: showed up in File Explorer.

I went ahead and used Z: to solve my original problem of mapping a network drive so all is well there, but I certainly dont like that I have no idea why my File Explorer doesnt like drive letter Y: while all the utilities like that letter just fine.

10 Pro 20H2 19042.746

Thoughts about whats happening?

:)

mjohnsonn2, Feb 6, 2021
  2. JBOWIE62 Win User

File Explorer- no drive letters are listed.

Original Title: File Explorer

I am trying to open File Explorer with my drives listed on the right. I only have the files in the first column and no drive letters are listed.

JBOWIE62, Feb 6, 2021
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y: [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Feb 6, 2021
  4. File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:

File Explorer- no drive letters are listed.

The File Explorer in Windows 10, shows the Frequent folders list and Recent files list by default. You can view the drives by clicking on This PC tab on the left site of the File Explorer. But if you wish the File Explorer
    to open This PC showing drives list by default, then follow these steps:

1. In Windows 10, open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.

2. In the View tab, find and click on Options, listed by default on the far right side of the ribbon.

3. In the Folder Options window, make sure you’re on the General tab and then find the drop-down box labeled Open File Explorer To. Click the drop-down menu and select This PC. Click OK to
    save your changes and close the window. Now your File Explorer opens to Drives list by default.

Hope this helps!

JohnCalton, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:

1. File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y: - Similar Threads - File Explorer Doesn't

2. File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder: This is Windows 10. All my photos are under e:\pictures.In c:\users\sumiyo, I create a shortcut to e:\pictures, which I name pictures. When I double-click on shortcut c:\users\sumiyo\pictures, e:\pictures is opened. Similarly, when I enter c:\users\sumiyo\pictures in the file...
  3. File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder: This is Windows 10. All my photos are under e:\pictures.In c:\users\sumiyo, I create a shortcut to e:\pictures, which I name pictures. When I double-click on shortcut c:\users\sumiyo\pictures, e:\pictures is opened. Similarly, when I enter c:\users\sumiyo\pictures in the file...
  4. My file explorer doesn't look like it should

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My file explorer doesn't look like it should: I tried to call the help number which wasn't very helpful. One problem is one drive does not show up in file explorer. I already tried making a new key in the registry and naming it DisableFileSyncNGSC but it didn't work.While doing a search just trying to get one drive on...
  5. My file explorer doesn't look like it should

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My file explorer doesn't look like it should: I tried to call the help number which wasn't very helpful. One problem is one drive does not show up in file explorer. I already tried making a new key in the registry and naming it DisableFileSyncNGSC but it didn't work.While doing a search just trying to get one drive on...
  6. file explorer letter before drive letter in search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer letter before drive letter in search: when i did a search in file manager it showed the file as "rc:******" why is there a letter before the drive and what does it mean f and r are the letters that are shown before the drive...
  7. File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:: I cant get drive letter Y: to show up in file explorer. I noticed this first when I tried to map a network drive Y: to a valid location. Permissions all good. Everything went smoothly. In fact when I went through the process to map another drive, I could even see the first...
  8. Windows 10 doesn't recognize subst drive letters in Explorer

Windows 10 doesn't recognize subst drive letters in Explorer: Subst seems to be broken in Windows 10. Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Build 19042.421 When using subst to create a new drive letter, the new drive is available in the command prompt, but the drive letter does not show up in Explorer, even when I run the subst from an elevated...
  9. Windows 10 doesn't recognise subst drive letters in Explorer

Windows 10 doesn't recognise subst drive letters in Explorer: Subst seems to be broken in Windows 10. Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Build 19042.421 When using subst to create a new drive letter, the new drive is available in the command prompt, but the drive letter does not show up in Explorer, even when I run the subst from an elevated...
  10. Drive letter missing in Windows File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Drive letter missing in Windows File Explorer: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]On rare occasions, you may find that the Drive letter is missing from File Explorer following the installation of an Update . If you have experienced this issue, here’s a way to get past the problem. A drive letter represents [...] This post Drive letter...