Windows 10: File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout.

Discus and support File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just recently updated my computer yesterday to the newest version on September 6th, 2019, and in file explorer, all my folders keep the sorting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DJFallOutWolf, Sep 7, 2019.

1. File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout.

I just recently updated my computer yesterday to the newest version on September 6th, 2019, and in file explorer, all my folders keep the sorting layout I set. Except for my downloads folder. And when I go to change the sorting system, it shows me this.

File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout. aa13bb41-ec19-483f-99d0-28b5cbb066b1?upload=true.png

To actually get it to be the way I want, I have To click group by, make a group (like Name) and then select the no group option. And then It looks the same as before, but I can access the Sort by menu, but, there's a problem. I cant sort by ascending or descending.

File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout. 72789150-c75f-46f5-b119-cef7981cca9e?upload=true.png

Then, once I click on the downloads button in the navigation pane again. It finally unlocks what I want it to.

File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout. 5e6190ae-cc51-40dd-87b7-2a97119143e9?upload=true.png

So it should be as simple as that. Problem fixed. Well, here's where problem 2 comes in. If I exit out of the downloads folder, it returns my sorting layout back to the way it was before I opened the folder. My custom sorting layout is gone and I'm locked out of the Sort by button again, and I'm back at square one. I know this seems a little nitpicky, but honestly this is so annoying. And I'm getting quite sick and tired of having to do this every single time. Does anyone know how to stop this?

:)

DJFallOutWolf, Sep 7, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Sep 7, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Sep 7, 2019
  4. Jose Est Win User

File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout.

How to desegregate Folders/Files in File Explorer Sort By Functions?

Hi,

Sorting the layout of each folder is really dependent on the user's preference, that is why Windows has a variety of ways of sorting files and folders.

To sort files and folders alphanumerically together, we can try grouping it by name.

To do this, follow the steps below:

• On the folder that you want to sort, click View.
    • Look for Group by and left-click on it.
    • Select Name.

File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout. d1b579c8-659a-4dff-8380-20a72d125af9.png

Let us know if you need anything else.

Jose Est, Sep 7, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout.

1. File Explorer Downloads Folder Won't Keep Sorting Layout. - Similar Threads - File Explorer Downloads

2. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  3. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  4. Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect: I don't understand why folder names sort ones before zeroes, example:All else being equal, I expect the sort order to run 01, 02, 03, 04, etc.Files inside folders sort by file name as expected....
  5. Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect: I don't understand why folder names sort ones before zeroes, example:All else being equal, I expect the sort order to run 01, 02, 03, 04, etc.Files inside folders sort by file name as expected....
  6. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  7. Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?: Heyo! I would like to drag songs from my computer to my phone, but some songs are still in extra folders and some are not. Is there any way to display files and folders together in Win 10? Not so that the folders are at the top and the files at the bottom, but e.g. folder...
  8. downloads folder sort order won't change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    downloads folder sort order won't change: Hi everyone, I just took the latest Windows 10 update on Tuesday, and suddenly my downloads folder isn't sorted the way I want. It appears the default is to sort by name in ascending order, and it looks like that's how it's selected to display, however it's still sorting...
  9. Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar: Is it possible to sort the file explorer folders on the taskbar ? On my PC, when I have 5 or more folders, they appear in a vertical list (see attached). Every time I restart windows I run a batch file that opens my "standard file explorer folders" minimized to the Taskbar....
  10. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...