Windows 10: File Explorer error message

Discus and support File Explorer error message in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just tried to open explorer.exe and got: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..." The program works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Newmaven, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Newmaven Win User

File Explorer error message

I just tried to open explorer.exe and got: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..."

The program works fine if I click on a folder--it just won't open on its own.

I had this problem (without the error message) in Win 7, but it went away when I first installed Win 10--now it's back.

:)

Newmaven, Aug 10, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 10, 2016
  3. File Explorer error message

Hi Bart,

In most cases, this issue is caused by incorrect registry entries or a third-party program that prevents opening files on your computer. We recommend booting your computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists. If not, we suggest performing a clean
    boot on your computer.

For your reference, check this article on how to start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10. Also, click this
    link on how to perform a clean boot in Windows.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Aug 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Aug 11, 2016
  5. manish9009, Aug 11, 2016
  6. Newmaven Win User
    I've done this several times, and nothing changes.

Newmaven, Aug 15, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  8. Newmaven Win User

Had not done it before because it did not seem to be for Win 10, but I did it now and it worked. Thanks!

Newmaven, Aug 16, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 16, 2016
  10. This was what worked for me:

https://superuser.com/questions/7205...as-no-program#

"change the default view of File Explorer from Quick Access to This PC. Go to Control Panel, File Explorer Options and change the "Open File Explorer to" option to "This PC". Then you'll be able to open File Explorer."

LordLiverpool, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer error message - Similar Threads - File Explorer error

2. File Explorer Error Message: How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Error Message: How do I fix this?: When I attempt to use File Explorer it partially works. I am able to click on files and perform functions normally on the right side of the screen. I can also expand folders on the left side by clicking the small arrow. What doesn't work is if I right click any of the folders...
  3. File Explorer Error Message: How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Error Message: How do I fix this?: When I attempt to use File Explorer it partially works. I am able to click on files and perform functions normally on the right side of the screen. I can also expand folders on the left side by clicking the small arrow. What doesn't work is if I right click any of the folders...
  4. File Explorer Error Message: How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Double-clicking on a folder in File Explorer gives an error message.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double-clicking on a folder in File Explorer gives an error message.: When I double-click on a folder in File Explorer Windows 10, I get an error message: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page"....
  6. Double-clicking on a folder in File Explorer gives an error message.

Double-clicking on a folder in File Explorer gives an error message.: When I double-click on a folder in File Explorer Windows 10, I get an error message: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page"....
  7. Double-clicking on a folder in File Explorer gives an error message.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Error message when opening File Explorer after power cycle?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error message when opening File Explorer after power cycle?: Yesterday my laptop started running really slowly for no apparent reason. I tried a whole host of things. I was at it for over 12 hours straight. I got nowhere. I just tried to power cycle it, and things seem to be running fast again, which is great, really, but when I tried...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer Hanging - Below is the resultant error message

Windows 10 File Explorer Hanging - Below is the resultant error message: SourceWindows ExplorerSummaryStopped responding and was closedDate‎11/‎29/‎2021 8:12 AMStatusReport sentDescriptionA problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name:...
  10. Frequent "File Explorer: explorer.exe - Application Error" Message Occuring!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Frequent "File Explorer: explorer.exe - Application Error" Message Occuring!: I don't know why but recently (maybe the last couple of months) explorer seems to crash and keeps giving me these messages. It's becoming very annoying, how can I resolve this? Screenshot Examples submitted by /u/JLChamberlain42 [link] [comments]...