Windows 10: File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane

Discus and support File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want the left pane folder to open and show subfolders when I click on the filename, instead of having to click the little carat to the left of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jasper54, Jun 20, 2021.

1. jasper54 Win User

File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane

I want the left pane folder to open and show subfolders when I click on the filename, instead of having to click the little carat to the left of the folder to get this to happen. Windows 10 version 20H2.

:)

jasper54, Jun 20, 2021

2. File Explorer navigation pane sometimes expands to show all folders and sometimes consolidates shows only the selected folder

Both the folders that expand fully and those that partially expand have exactly the same settings, which are as you suggested, so this didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Bruce Needham, Jun 20, 2021
  3. File Explorer navigation pane sometimes expands to show all folders and sometimes consolidates shows only the selected folder

Hi Bruce,

I just want to verify if what you want to establish is to set the navigation pane to display the major folder and expand the consolidated list of sub-folders when you select or click a single folder in the File Explorer main page? If so, please follow the
    steps below:

• Launch File Explorer, then click View on the top.
    • On the right pane, click Options > Change folder and search options.
    • On the Folder options > General tab, make sure the Open each folder in the same window is selected.
    • Click Apply.
    • On the same Folder options window, click the View tab.
    • Under Advanced settings, scroll down to Navigation pane and tick
      Expand to open folder.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, close File Explorer and relaunch it. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

"If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to mark it as answer

to help those who are facing the same problem."

Vanessa Yar, Jun 20, 2021
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

Expanding folders in file explorer

Hi,

In answer to your query, yes, there's an option to change the Folder View Options of your File Explorer. To do so, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click File tab.
    • Select Change folder and search options.
    • Click View tab.
    • Under Advanced settings, scroll down to Navigation pane.
    • Check Expand to open folder, Show all folders, and
      Show libraries.

You can also check all the options, and set it up the way you wanted.

We'll be here if you need more help.

Ralph Sta, Jun 20, 2021
Thema:

1. File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane - Similar Threads - File Explorer expand

2. Windows 11 - Disable Expand Folder in Navigation Pane of File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Disable Expand Folder in Navigation Pane of File Explorer.: Hi,I have tried all the options from this linkhttps://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-expand-folder-in-navigation-pane-of-file-explorer-in-windows-11.2544/If I open my File Explorer through Windows, it works correctly it doesn't expand .However if I open my File Explorer...
  3. Windows 11 - Disable Expand Folder in Navigation Pane of File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Disable Expand Folder in Navigation Pane of File Explorer.: Hi,I have tried all the options from this linkhttps://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-expand-folder-in-navigation-pane-of-file-explorer-in-windows-11.2544/If I open my File Explorer through Windows, it works correctly it doesn't expand .However if I open my File Explorer...
  4. How to select multiple files in left pane of Windows Explorer and then be able to grab and...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to select multiple files in left pane of Windows Explorer and then be able to grab and...: I am getting extremely frustrated with Microsoft windows.So I have this location on external hard drive. For whatever reason, when downloading a program, sticks the folder within a folder I created for PDF files that are books I downloaded. How did it get there? Not a clue....
  5. How to select multiple files in left pane of Windows Explorer and then be able to grab and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to select multiple files in left pane of Windows Explorer and then be able to grab and...: I am getting extremely frustrated with Microsoft windows.So I have this location on external hard drive. For whatever reason, when downloading a program, sticks the folder within a folder I created for PDF files that are books I downloaded. How did it get there? Not a clue....
  6. How to select multiple files in left pane of Windows Explorer and then be able to grab and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Change the order of folder left pane file explorer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change the order of folder left pane file explorer.: Is there a way i can sort these network folders? so they're grouped? Instead of all over? https://i.imgur.com/qQrgusR.png (not by changing name ;)) submitted by /u/x3nius [link] [comments]...
  8. Auto expand explorer LEFT pane window

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto expand explorer LEFT pane window: Hello! Is there a way to have windows explorer auto expand the folder your in on the LEFT pane as well as the right? Thank you! Nancy 131903
  9. Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane: Now and then I want to view the full folder tree in Navigation Pane of File Explorer. There are some options to keep the folder tree open, but most of the time they are a pain in the butt. When I do want the tree visible, I have to go to the root disk and open each parent...
  10. How to stop left pane folder from expanding?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop left pane folder from expanding?: This is driving me nuts, the left pane items auto expand randomly to show all the drivers in Computer for example. I then collapse them again, but after a while they expand again. How can I stop them from ever expanding? I'm not sure what's causing this as on a fresh...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Expand to open folder external disk