Windows 10: File Explorer Extremely slow

Discus and support File Explorer Extremely slow in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My company has been having issues with file explorer one being loading file explorer is extremely slow. There are other programs having issues now but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iuseword3, Sep 14, 2018.

1. iuseword3 Win User

File Explorer Extremely slow

My company has been having issues with file explorer one being loading file explorer is extremely slow. There are other programs having issues now but I feel are not important. To test if this was caused by user error I create a fresh install on a computer suffering from the slow down issues. Tested the speed of windows explorer then I ran a windows update and right after the restart my explorer started acting slow.

Operating system: Windows 10 pro x64
    These are the updates that go forced to my machine:

Quality updates:
    KB4457128 (2)
    KB4456655
    KB4457146
    Definition Updates
    KB4052623
    KB2267602
    Other Updates:
    KB890830

:)

iuseword3, Sep 14, 2018

2. File Explorer extremely slow and unstable.

So I just took part in the Windows 10 Insider Preview a couple of days ago, and I have to say, Windows 10 is a great step up from Windows 8, they did an excellent job so far. There's just one problem: File Explorer is extremely hard to use. Not only does the file explorer freeze all the time (even on folders with almost nothing in them), when it does freeze, it goes back to the top of the folder when it unfreezes.

What I mean is that I can be half-way down a 260-count file folder, like this:

File Explorer Extremely slow [​IMG]

Then it will freeze, and after it unfreezes, it goes back to the top of the folder, like so:

File Explorer Extremely slow [​IMG]

Doing simple tasks such as moving, copying, renaming, deleting and even scrolling and clicking causes File Explorer to freeze, sometimes even when it's idle!

And what's weirder is that the glitch doesn't happen when your opening a file for a specific program (say you click 'open' in Word and you get the 'Open' dialog box where you can pick a file).

I posted this over to Windows Feedback too, but I don't think it supports user comments, so I'm posting here to see if there's any fix. If there's any fix for this, let me know. It's been annoying me for a while now.

JusMyBASSCannon, Sep 14, 2018
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer is Extremely Slow to Open Photo Files

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My computer now seems to be running slower. However, it is extremely slow to open photo files compared to when I was running Windows 7. When I click to open a JPEG file / photo file in Windows 10, File
    Explorer goes into a (not responding) message. It will stay in the not resonding mode for at least 30 seconds to a minute. Then the photo will appear and File Explorer will allow for it to be deleted, moved, copied etc. This makes opening and managing photos
    extremely frustrating. I have been searching the internet for a fix. There appear to be a number of suggestions and fixes out there but nothing I have tried has worked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Retrob3270, Sep 14, 2018
  4. andrekish Win User

Extremely slow Windows Explorer. Please help.

Hello - there's solution posted here - but cannot say if it works totally yet though but it has helped me just now. Hope it helps you too. Save any work open first, before you do this.

Taken from site at this board - Solved File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files - Windows 10 Forums

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

-- Your system will need a restart when it reconfigures itself so save any work first. I tried this myself and it ran slow first time while it indexed slow directories - then after I closed file explorer and reloaded it it ran fast on slow directories. I hope it helps you. Best of luck and best wishes.

andrekish, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer Extremely slow - Similar Threads - File Explorer Extremely

2. Files explorer extremely slow to load..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files explorer extremely slow to load..: The files explorer in my brand new Windows Surface laptop is extremely slow to load. Each time I click on the files explorer icon in the task bar at the bottom, it takes several seconds and on occasions up to a minute to load. This is not a folder-specific problem as this...
  3. Files explorer extremely slow to load..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files explorer extremely slow to load..: The files explorer in my brand new Windows Surface laptop is extremely slow to load. Each time I click on the files explorer icon in the task bar at the bottom, it takes several seconds and on occasions up to a minute to load. This is not a folder-specific problem as this...
  4. Windows File Explorer running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer running extremely slow: Hi All!I have been having trouble with file explorer over the past 3 months, with it running extremely slow. It will take upwards of 40 seconds to go from one folder to the next. I have tried resetting explorer and indexing my files with no success. I also attempted to stop...
  5. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

File Explorer Extremely Slow!: Hello, From 13th November, my laptop has become slower in the case of file explorer. I have even attached an image: I think that this might be because of the Update I made that day. It was working just normal on the 12th, I remember. And, there is a video in my Downloads...
  6. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Extremely Slow!: Hello, From 13th November, my laptop has become slower in the case of file explorer. I have even attached an image: I think that this might be because of the Update I made that day. It was working just normal on the 12th, I remember. And, there is a video in my Downloads...
  7. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive

File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive: I have windows 10 and these issues occur when using file explorer, moving or managing files. A. File explorer takes minutes to open or won't open when clicked on this includes using the windows search bar and any icons on the computer. B. File explorer crashes often or is...
  9. File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow: I've been having this problem recently, I honestly dont know what it is. My computer runs smoothly, up until I open up file explorer and it basically doesn't load. It's been sitting there for at least 40 minutes. If anyone can shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it....
  10. File Explorer extremely slow and unstable.

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer extremely slow and unstable.: So I just took part in the Windows 10 Insider Preview a couple of days ago, and I have to say, Windows 10 is a great step up from Windows 8, they did an excellent job so far. There's just one problem: File Explorer is extremely hard to use. Not only does the file explorer...