Windows 10: File explorer fails to run properly sometimes

Discus and support File explorer fails to run properly sometimes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Since about 5-7 months ago, when I was returning to do my work, my lock screen didn't respond at all. I had to force shut down my device to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Aswitneto, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Aswitneto Win User

File explorer fails to run properly sometimes

Hello,

Since about 5-7 months ago, when I was returning to do my work, my lock screen didn't respond at all. I had to force shut down my device to restart the whole laptop. Then, about a couple of weeks ago, it happened again while I had tabs open, and the Start and some tabs didn't work, but I could still access them with the keyboard.

File explorer fails to run properly sometimes b97ef8ae-9e0f-47d4-bfdc-e2c84da483e6?upload=true.png

This shows an image of the Start, when I was unable to click on it with my wireless mouse or my touchpad, but I could access it with the Windows button, but it just doesn't work in general.

Looking at one of the support in here, and without thinking while the File Explorer is failing, I had to control with my keyboard and end the process, because I thought that could fix it. Instead, it turned out to do a blank screen. I could not do anything except to forcefully shut it down again. And so, I knew that it was something about the File Explorer, and I wanted to know how to stop that.

Today, it happened again. It is already frustrating me, because I cannot find a way to fix it by myself.

Please do come and help with an answer that will definitely help.

Thanks.

:)

Aswitneto, Nov 16, 2019

2. file explorer does not run

In this case, we suggest performing clean boot to ensure that there are no unnecessary applications running on startup that might affect File Explorer from working properly. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• From Start, search for msconfig.
    • Select System Configuration from the search results.

File explorer fails to run properly sometimes 4013453_en_1.png

• On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap
      or click Disable all.

File explorer fails to run properly sometimes 4013455_en_1.png

• On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

File explorer fails to run properly sometimes 4013456_en_1.png

• On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

File explorer fails to run properly sometimes 4013457_en_1.png

• Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

If you have additional questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Nov 16, 2019
  3. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 16, 2019
  4. File explorer fails to run properly sometimes

file explorer does not run

Hello,

User profile corruption is one of the possible reasons why you encountered an issue with the File Explorer after performing a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstalling your apps.

To troubleshoot the issue, we suggest creating a new user account in Windows 10 and see if the same issue will occur while on a different user profile. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family
      & other people
      > Add someone else to this PC.

• Type a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

Once done with the steps, let us know how it goes so we can help your further.

Jefferson Ore, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

File explorer fails to run properly sometimes

1. File explorer fails to run properly sometimes - Similar Threads - File explorer fails

2. Windows explorer not running properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer not running properly: Hi, I have been having a problem which I think is that a process is constantly restarting itself so I can't use windows.The background and taskbar keep blinking on and off.The blinking doesn't go black - the taskbar and background image just disappear. The blinking also...
  3. Windows explorer not running properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer not running properly: Hi, I have been having a problem which I think is that a process is constantly restarting itself so I can't use windows.The background and taskbar keep blinking on and off.The blinking doesn't go black - the taskbar and background image just disappear. The blinking also...
  4. File explorer not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer not working properly: My file explorer opens but I can't open any thing unless if it is on the left hand side pinned. I can't open device manager, trash, and other things. When I try opening a file on quick access it opens a new windows of file explorer. Please let me know how I can fix this....
  5. File explorer not working properly

File explorer not working properly: My file explorer opens but I can't open any thing unless if it is on the left hand side pinned. I can't open device manager, trash, and other things. When I try opening a file on quick access it opens a new windows of file explorer. Please let me know how I can fix this....
  6. File Explorer not working properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer not working properly: I used my file explorer most of the time since all my files are stored there and I use to edit those files for my work everyday. However, for the past 2 days my file explorer keeps on lagging and it says not responding on the top left. I need to close it on the task manager...
  7. File Explorer not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not working properly: I used my file explorer most of the time since all my files are stored there and I use to edit those files for my work everyday. However, for the past 2 days my file explorer keeps on lagging and it says not responding on the top left. I need to close it on the task manager...
  8. File Explorer not working properly

9. File Explorer Freezes Sometimes

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Freezes Sometimes: Hello,Yesterday (24-Jan-2020) installed update KB4534321.Today I noticed that sometimes windows file explorer freezes.Tried to close its window in the taskbar, once it worked, reopened, it was frozen. Rebooted computer, now it works.Does this update causing the trouble or...
  10. File explorer not working properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer not working properly: I cannot search things up in File Explorer. I cannot click the search textbox at all. I then tried CTRL+F, and it only lets me have one character. I cannot search up a single word, just only letters. What is worse, the backspace button does not delete the character. It makes...