Windows 10: File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date

Discus and support File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am compiling an album of vacation photos and need to sort them by creation date as there may be some filename changes and photoediting involved. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChrisMcNicol, Jun 8, 2019.

1. File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date

I am compiling an album of vacation photos and need to sort them by creation date as there may be some filename changes and photoediting involved.

The files are sourced from a camera SD card and two samsung smartphones. The sort by creation date appears to sort the files in the folders in batches of where they were sourced even when the filenames (originally allocated by the camera or phone) are totally different.

Can someone tell me how to REALlY sort a folder by creation date and nothing else?

:)

ChrisMcNicol, Jun 8, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Jun 8, 2019
  3. How to sort photos in Windows essentials photo gallery.

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to sort your pictures in the way you want them. Kindly take note that the only options to sort your photos in Photo Gallery are the following:

• Date taken
    • Date modified
    • File size
    • Image size
    • Rating
    • Caption
    • File name
    Also I suggest follow the below steps.

Press ALT + W + K, one after other & check if the photos are shown in the order they were taken.

I hope this helps.

Thanks & regards.

Mohammed Ali.

Mohammed AliAli, Jun 8, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date

File Explorer Date Sort Issue

Hi plestj

In File Explorer, click on the View Ribbon Tab

Click on the Creation Date column header, so that arrow faces down, if that does not sort newest to oldest, please provide a screenshot of the resulting File Explorer Window and I will try to resolve this for you

DaveM121, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date

1. File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date - Similar Threads - File Explorer fails

2. Clicking on "Date Modified" fails to sort by date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking on "Date Modified" fails to sort by date: I a directory of a large number files clicking "date modified" is not sorting the files with the most recently filed listed first. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clicking-on-date-modified-fails-to-sort-by-date/37689f6d-0a24-4106-ad53-bb347ee1b140
  3. Sorting Photos by date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting Photos by date: After the latest update to Photos, the option to import the photos by date isnt available any more. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sorting-photos-by-date/99a856b7-40a0-48ed-be3b-98b2986d869c
  4. Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?

Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?: Heyo! I would like to drag songs from my computer to my phone, but some songs are still in extra folders and some are not. Is there any way to display files and folders together in Win 10? Not so that the folders are at the top and the files at the bottom, but e.g. folder...
  5. Sorting photos by date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sorting photos by date: I'm scanning and adding many old photos. The Photo app sees the Date Created as the date I scanned the photos. I thought if I filed them by date in My Pictures, they would appear by that date in Photos. Do I really have to go back to each photo and change the date created?...
  6. is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date

is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date: When I download a file and go to email I would like the files to be organized by date (todays date) is that possible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-default-file-explore-to-sorting/10b9d017-9323-44df-8fcb-6d5d1e49da16"
  7. File Explorer Date Sort Issue

File Explorer Date Sort Issue: Hi - I am having a File Explorer sorting issue with picture files. I click on the Created column heading to sort by Date, and it is not sorting by newest to oldest, or oldest to newest. Am I doing something wrong? When sorting by newest date, November 2018 files are shown...
  8. File Explorer sort by date not accurate

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer sort by date not accurate: To my knowledge the SORT BY DATE order goes off the last Saved Date not the Created Date but for the life of me I've been getting things showing up in the wrong order occasionally and it's started effecting a syncing program that I use. My clock is set correctly and when I go...
  9. File Manager for Sorting Files by Creation Date Across Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Manager for Sorting Files by Creation Date Across Folders: I am needing to sort all data files on my disk in chronological order. Does anybody know of a free app that will let me sort all my files in chrono order? This came up in my first search: Total Commander Total Commander - Wikipedia Total Commander - home Total Commander -...
  10. File explorer sort reverts to "date modified"

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer sort reverts to "date modified": Every disk and/ or folder when I tick sort by name-ascending the damn thing reverts to date modified-descending if I leave said disk or folder and return. I tried "Enable_Auto_Arrange_in_File_Explorer.bat" and "Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default.bat"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sort files by picture creation date