Windows 10: File Explorer - Folder w/1,300+ files takes >2 minutes to sort by date

Discus and support File Explorer - Folder w/1,300+ files takes >2 minutes to sort by date in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I open file explorer and select certain folders, it opens in the alpha sort. When I go to sort on dates, it takes forever in Windows 10, and has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LarryinNJ, Jul 9, 2016.

1. LarryinNJ Win User

File Explorer - Folder w/1,300+ files takes >2 minutes to sort by date

When I open file explorer and select certain folders, it opens in the alpha sort. When I go to sort on dates, it takes forever in Windows 10, and has pretty much since launch. Don't remember this on Win7. Are there any switches I could throw, or other config changes I can make to address this?

:)

LarryinNJ, Jul 9, 2016

2. Folder sort by 'Date' in File Explorer

Hello

Windows 10 --> File explorer

A user can sort the folders and files on date by simply clicking on the "date modified" tab on top.

It seems a bug to me that if you just open a folder to view any file, the system considers that the folder has been updated.

How to replicate :

Open up a folder --> Open up any MS Office file in that folder --> Don't make any changes to the file inside the folder and close it.

The system considers this to be a modification to the folder and brings folder name on top.

In my opinion this is incorrect.

If someone changes the file inside the folder and saves it, only then the folder should be considered as modified.

Is it a bug or am I understanding it differently?

Regards

Vishal

Vishal Mani, Jul 9, 2016
  3. organise favorites

hi jesrael,

thanks for your response.

found the favourites folder, which is a file explorer folder

within users->me>favourites sorted by name or date, au choix.

tweaked this by changing the names of the folders to start with 01,02 etc. to sequence them.

closed IE

opened IE and checked the favourites icon

my changes were there, but at the bottom of the list, which appears to be sorted by date modified

the file explorer folder is correctly sorted by name.

what am I (not) doing correctly?

cheers,

wolf

wolfram klewe, Jul 9, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

I originally misread the thread, after rereading it, decided to remove my original post; I'll be listening in and learning!

RolandJS, Jul 9, 2016
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    There might not be any problem with the OS. Instead, there could be files with extra long names.

pyramid10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer - Folder w/1,300+ files takes >2 minutes to sort by date - Similar Threads - File Explorer Folder

2. File Explorer Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  3. File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date

File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date: I am compiling an album of vacation photos and need to sort them by creation date as there may be some filename changes and photoediting involved. The files are sourced from a camera SD card and two samsung smartphones. The sort by creation date appears to sort the files in...
  4. Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar: Is it possible to sort the file explorer folders on the taskbar ? On my PC, when I have 5 or more folders, they appear in a vertical list (see attached). Every time I restart windows I run a batch file that opens my "standard file explorer folders" minimized to the Taskbar....
  5. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...
  6. is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date

is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date: When I download a file and go to email I would like the files to be organized by date (todays date) is that possible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-default-file-explore-to-sorting/10b9d017-9323-44df-8fcb-6d5d1e49da16"
  7. File Explorer Date Sort Issue

File Explorer Date Sort Issue: Hi - I am having a File Explorer sorting issue with picture files. I click on the Created column heading to sort by Date, and it is not sorting by newest to oldest, or oldest to newest. Am I doing something wrong? When sorting by newest date, November 2018 files are shown...
  8. File Explorer sort by date not accurate

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer sort by date not accurate: To my knowledge the SORT BY DATE order goes off the last Saved Date not the Created Date but for the life of me I've been getting things showing up in the wrong order occasionally and it's started effecting a syncing program that I use. My clock is set correctly and when I go...
  9. File Manager for Sorting Files by Creation Date Across Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Manager for Sorting Files by Creation Date Across Folders: I am needing to sort all data files on my disk in chronological order. Does anybody know of a free app that will let me sort all my files in chrono order? This came up in my first search: Total Commander Total Commander - Wikipedia Total Commander - home Total Commander -...
  10. File explorer sort reverts to "date modified"

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer sort reverts to "date modified": Every disk and/ or folder when I tick sort by name-ascending the damn thing reverts to date modified-descending if I leave said disk or folder and return. I tried "Enable_Auto_Arrange_in_File_Explorer.bat" and "Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default.bat"...