Windows 10: File Explorer - Folder w/1,300+ files takes >2 minutes to sort by date

Discus and support File Explorer - Folder w/1,300+ files takes >2 minutes to sort by date in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I open file explorer and select certain folders, it opens in the alpha sort. When I go to sort on dates, it takes forever in Windows 10, and has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LarryinNJ, Jul 9, 2016.

1. LarryinNJ Win User

File Explorer - Folder w/1,300+ files takes >2 minutes to sort by date

When I open file explorer and select certain folders, it opens in the alpha sort. When I go to sort on dates, it takes forever in Windows 10, and has pretty much since launch. Don't remember this on Win7. Are there any switches I could throw, or other config changes I can make to address this?

:)

LarryinNJ, Jul 9, 2016

2. Folder sort by 'Date' in File Explorer

Hello

Windows 10 --> File explorer

A user can sort the folders and files on date by simply clicking on the "date modified" tab on top.

It seems a bug to me that if you just open a folder to view any file, the system considers that the folder has been updated.

How to replicate :

Open up a folder --> Open up any MS Office file in that folder --> Don't make any changes to the file inside the folder and close it.

The system considers this to be a modification to the folder and brings folder name on top.

In my opinion this is incorrect.

If someone changes the file inside the folder and saves it, only then the folder should be considered as modified.

Is it a bug or am I understanding it differently?

Regards

Vishal

Vishal Mani, Jul 9, 2016
  3. organise favorites

hi jesrael,

thanks for your response.

found the favourites folder, which is a file explorer folder

within users->me>favourites sorted by name or date, au choix.

tweaked this by changing the names of the folders to start with 01,02 etc. to sequence them.

closed IE

opened IE and checked the favourites icon

my changes were there, but at the bottom of the list, which appears to be sorted by date modified

the file explorer folder is correctly sorted by name.

what am I (not) doing correctly?

cheers,

wolf

wolfram klewe, Jul 9, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

I originally misread the thread, after rereading it, decided to remove my original post; I'll be listening in and learning!

RolandJS, Jul 9, 2016
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    There might not be any problem with the OS. Instead, there could be files with extra long names.

pyramid10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer - Folder w/1,300+ files takes >2 minutes to sort by date - Similar Threads - File Explorer Folder

2. Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer: I want to sort files by date added to folder to easily find a file that I have recently downloaded.NO! Date modified and date created does not solve this. The date created and modified could be 1 jan 2000, but I added it to my folder 7 april 2024. The problem is that this...
  3. Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer: I want to sort files by date added to folder to easily find a file that I have recently downloaded.NO! Date modified and date created does not solve this. The date created and modified could be 1 jan 2000, but I added it to my folder 7 april 2024. The problem is that this...
  4. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  5. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  6. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  8. Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?

Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?: Heyo! I would like to drag songs from my computer to my phone, but some songs are still in extra folders and some are not. Is there any way to display files and folders together in Win 10? Not so that the folders are at the top and the files at the bottom, but e.g. folder...
  9. File Explorer Date Sort Issue

File Explorer Date Sort Issue: Hi - I am having a File Explorer sorting issue with picture files. I click on the Created column heading to sort by Date, and it is not sorting by newest to oldest, or oldest to newest. Am I doing something wrong? When sorting by newest date, November 2018 files are shown...
  10. File Explorer sort by date not accurate

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer sort by date not accurate: To my knowledge the SORT BY DATE order goes off the last Saved Date not the Created Date but for the life of me I've been getting things showing up in the wrong order occasionally and it's started effecting a syncing program that I use. My clock is set correctly and when I go...