Windows 10: File Explorer freezes after downloading and "saving" Microsoft files from internet

Discus and support File Explorer freezes after downloading and "saving" Microsoft files from internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have encountered a problem with File Explorer that seems to be either a glitch with Windows10 or a problem with the original installation. While I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JaneGeographer, May 4, 2019.

1. File Explorer freezes after downloading and "saving" Microsoft files from internet

I have encountered a problem with File Explorer that seems to be either a glitch with Windows10 or a problem with the original installation. While I have found a successful workaround the troublingbehavior, I would like to know its cause and correct this if possible, in hopes of avoiding other related problems.

Here is the background: I am new to Windows10, having steadfastly avoided all editions after Window7Pro until now. I received my computer new (not refurbished) from Dell, with Windows10Pro preinstalled. I completed all updates prior to any personalization. In setup, I (reluctantly) opted for the Microsoft Account login, which is currently my only User Account. I installed MSOffice Professional2013 from installation disk and activated the license without problems. I then downloaded and "saved" a group a files (PDF's, Excel and Word docs) that I need for a project I am working on.

Here is the problem: if I "touch" any of the saved Microsoft files in File Explorer (to move or open) - File Explorer freezes (stops responding). There are (of course) no problems with the PDF files. Once File Explorer stops responding, no amount of waiting seems to change this. I can close and reopen it without any apparent problems, but get the same unresponsive state if I touch one of the MS files.

I have found two ways to work around this problem: (1) Start Excel or Word, then open the file that I had saved, or (2) Re-download and then "Open" rather than "Save. In both cases, I get the normal warning when opening about files from the internet, asking if I want to enable editing. When I say yes, I am able to save the files to my hard drive and work with them without any further problems.

Once again, I am hoping to learn the cause of this problem and appropriate correction. If it is a known glitch with Windows10, I can only hope it will be corrected soon. If is a problem with the original installation, I hope to gather enough insight to make an informed complaint to the seller (Dell) to help me with a clean install.

:)

JaneGeographer, May 4, 2019
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, May 4, 2019
  3. mixa Win User
    Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

File Explorer freezes after downloading and "saving" Microsoft files from internet wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

mixa, May 4, 2019
  4. File Explorer freezes after downloading and "saving" Microsoft files from internet

Cant download files from the internet?

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to download files from the Internet. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Do you have a wired net connection or a Wi-Fi net connection?

• Are you able to download those files using any other browser on the pc?

• Have you installed all pending updates on the pc?

• What is the error message you get when the download fails?

Suggest you to use Microsoft Edge to check if you are able to download the files.

Follow these steps to reset the Internet Explorer settings to default and check the browser freeze status.

1. Press “Windows key + R” to get the run window.

2. Type “inetcpl.cpl” and click ok to get the “Internet Options” window.

3. Click the “Advanced” tab and click “reset”.

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental
    control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Srimadhwa B, May 4, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer freezes after downloading and "saving" Microsoft files from internet

1. File Explorer freezes after downloading and "saving" Microsoft files from internet - Similar Threads - File Explorer freezes

2. Block file saving from Internet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Block file saving from Internet.: I cannot save a file from internet with all browers I tried - Chrome, Edge, Whale.A temporary file seems to be appread in download folder but removed imediately.There is no message about blocking file. Re-install browers did not help to solve the problem, disable windows...
  3. Block file saving from Internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Block file saving from Internet.: I cannot save a file from internet with all browers I tried - Chrome, Edge, Whale.A temporary file seems to be appread in download folder but removed imediately.There is no message about blocking file. Re-install browers did not help to solve the problem, disable windows...
  4. Download files - Save As

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download files - Save As: When I attempt to download a PDF file from a court website, the file Save As Type shows All Files *.* and there are no other choices in the drop down to change the file type to a PDF. When I go ahead and save the file type as All Files *.* I receive "Failed-Network Error"...
  5. Download files - Save As

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download files - Save As: When I attempt to download a PDF file from a court website, the file Save As Type shows All Files *.* and there are no other choices in the drop down to change the file type to a PDF. When I go ahead and save the file type as All Files *.* I receive "Failed-Network Error"...
  6. Explorer freezes after clicking on file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer freezes after clicking on file: I'm trying to add some stuff to a game, but every time i click on a file, the window freezes. Folders don't do that though. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-freezes-after-clicking-on-file/62b24871-3bf5-4d4c-93cd-fd477ae2c528
  7. Make Internet Explorer 11 automatically save a file?

in Browsers and Email
    Make Internet Explorer 11 automatically save a file?: Is there a way to have Internet Explorer 11 automatically save a file, without Open/Save prompt? As in just click the in this case .PDF file and have it be auto downloaded? 180513
  8. Internet Explorer is downloading files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internet Explorer is downloading files: I have accidentally set internet explorer as my default for downloading apps, but I do not like Internet explorer's slow download speed, can I change my default for downloading apps back to the original? I use Chrome, and I just do not like IE....
  9. saving downloaded files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    saving downloaded files: I am trying to save files to a folder and I get an error message saying it can not find the file. I am trying to save the file not find it. Had this problem before...
  10. Downloading files from the Internet.

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloading files from the Internet.: I would be very grateful if someone could advise me if it is considered safe to download OCX files from ocxDump.com website. If not is there a safe free website from which OCX files can be obtained. Thanks 64341