Windows 10: File explorer freezes after recent update

Discus and support File explorer freezes after recent update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File Explorer in Windows 10 is opening so slowly that it could be called a freeze. The folder opens fairly normally the first time, but when I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Claudineintexas, Sep 8, 2020.

1. File explorer freezes after recent update

File Explorer in Windows 10 is opening so slowly that it could be called a freeze. The folder opens fairly normally the first time, but when I try to open a subfolder it hangs. The progress bar at the top of the page may eventually reach the end and still not show the folder contents. I have noticed some slowing on all my computers, but it is especially bad on my Surface Pro 3. It is impossible to use my Surface Pro at all. I have checked the Startup in the Task Manager, and memory being used by processes. Nothing seems out of the ordinary there, although I have noticed that Windows Explorer starts out low and gets higher pretty fast. I did a full cleanup, optimization and defragmentation. I have also run virus and malware scans, but I was not having this issue prior to the update so I think it is linked to that. I'm not sure what to do now. I don't think uninstalling the update is the solution since it said that support was ending for my version of Windows 10. I need help! Suggestions?

:)

Claudineintexas, Sep 8, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 8, 2020
  3. illimay Win User
    How do I expand the 'Recent' list in the File Explorer?

Thanks for an alternative suggestion.

File explorer freezes after recent update [​IMG]

I don't know what happened... but the list got longer for some reason. I didn't do anything special... but it just got longer

illimay, Sep 8, 2020
  4. File explorer freezes after recent update

File Explorer and Recent Files

At work, I'll open files on a network path that is only accessible at work, e.g.

\\mywork.org\shares\file.xyz

These files will appear in my recent list when opening File Explorer (Win+E). The problem I have is at home where that network path is not accessible, and the File Explorer window will HANG for minutes trying to find the file. I can get around it by running CCleaner and cleaning recent files, but I was wondering if there was something else that could be done where I don't have to wipe out my recent list?

Thanks!

GatsbyGlen, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

File explorer freezes after recent update

1. File explorer freezes after recent update - Similar Threads - File explorer freezes

2. Windows 11, file explorer crashing after the recent update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, file explorer crashing after the recent update: I have updated my windows yesterday. Now I am unable to open the File Explorer. It instantly crashes whenever I try to open any folder.Steps I tried with no avail: - check disk- starting in a Safe Mode- removing Bad and BagMRU in registry...
  3. Windows 11, file explorer crashing after the recent update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11, file explorer crashing after the recent update: I have updated my windows yesterday. Now I am unable to open the File Explorer. It instantly crashes whenever I try to open any folder.Steps I tried with no avail: - check disk- starting in a Safe Mode- removing Bad and BagMRU in registry...
  4. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer freezing: HelloI have an issue with my File Explorer.Every time I download a file and then try to immediately use it as an attachment, it either completely freezes or crashes.Sometimes it even forces me to do a restart.Please kindly advise.Thank you....
  5. Explorer freezes after clicking on file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer freezes after clicking on file: I'm trying to add some stuff to a game, but every time i click on a file, the window freezes. Folders don't do that though. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-freezes-after-clicking-on-file/62b24871-3bf5-4d4c-93cd-fd477ae2c528
  6. Pc freezing after recent update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc freezing after recent update: Hi guys, I recently updated to the most recent version of Windows 10 and it caused my pc to freeze every 1-2 seconds. Which also caused my mouse to freeze up as well. I tried updating my gpu driver to the latest version, and I also deleted my mouse driver and reinstalled...
  7. File explorer is not working after recent update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer is not working after recent update: Dear Sir/ Madam Since last week, file explorer is not working on the computer. It shows the list of files in a folder. When I click on one file to open, the system hangs and file explorer closes abruptly. Looking forward to your help to resolve. thanking in advance....
  8. File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10: Since a recent update use of File Explorer has become almost impossible - this is normally met with the words 'File Explorer is not responding'. This can occur when taking almost any action e.g. When highlighting even two files to copy them to USB. When trying to launch...
  9. File Explorer will not show "recent files"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer will not show "recent files": I have had this problem: that File Explorer will not show "recent files" on Windows 10 for a long time. I have Googled and searched for answers on here and elsewhere and cannot find a solution. I know it's supposed to show these files. How can I fix this?...
  10. File Explorer and Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and Recent Files: At work, I'll open files on a network path that is only accessible at work, e.g. \\mywork.org\shares\file.xyz These files will appear in my recent list when opening File Explorer (Win+E). The problem I have is at home where that network path is not accessible, and the...