Windows 10: File explorer freezes up whole computer as soon as I open it

Discus and support File explorer freezes up whole computer as soon as I open it in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all After working on a project in Adobe after effects, my computer is now locking up completely whenever I open file explorer. submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/XanaduChild, Apr 23, 2020.

1. File explorer freezes up whole computer as soon as I open it

Hi all

After working on a project in Adobe after effects, my computer is now locking up completely whenever I open file explorer.

submitted by /u/XanaduChild
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/XanaduChild, Apr 23, 2020

2. Internet Explorer and computer freezes

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Since the issue persists, I suggest you to disable and enable the Internet Explorer option from Windows features and check if it helps.

• To do that please follow the steps below:
    • Type Windows feature in the search bar.
    • Open Turn windows feature On or Off.
    • Uncheck Internet explorer, restart the computer and again place the check mark on Internet Explorer.
    If the issue still persists, if you have installed any third party security application, I suggest you to temporarily disable it temporarily and see if it fixes the issue.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software.
    If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 23, 2020
  3. Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

Hi Casey,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the files/folders. I also appreciate your effort in trying to fix the issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any specific error code/error message while trying to open the file?
    2. Are you aware of any recent changes made on the device?
    3. Which version of Windows are running on your device?

Refer the article Which Windows operating system am I running for the information.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Method 1

Restart Windows Explorer

1. Click on Start, type in “Task Manager
    2. Now go to Process tab. Click on Windows Explorer and
      Restart.
    3. Then check the status of the issue.
    4. If the issue still persist, try with the method 2.

Method 2

I suggest you to try the suggested steps from the article Fix File Explorer
    if it won't open or start
    and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Apr 23, 2020
  4. Erika Aro Win User

File explorer freezes up whole computer as soon as I open it

window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

File explorer freezes up whole computer as soon as I open it

1. File explorer freezes up whole computer as soon as I open it - Similar Threads - File explorer freezes

2. computer keeps freezing as soon as I try to open any programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer keeps freezing as soon as I try to open any programs: Hi all,I was updating my AMD drivers using the AMD Adrenalin download from their website. All was going well for the uninstalling of the current drivers I chose the factory reset option, until the screen just fuzzed out. I know that the screen would sometimes flicker on and...
  3. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  4. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  5. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Freezing disk/whole computer?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing disk/whole computer?: Hello, Some time ago I bought a new drive for my computer Samsung SSD 980 500GB, m2 drive. I installed windows 10 on it and since then a specific problem appeared. Once in a while, mainly during gaming, there is a problem of 1-3 second suspension of the entire computer. After...
  7. Freezing disk/whole computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freezing disk/whole computer?: Hello, Some time ago I bought a new drive for my computer Samsung SSD 980 500GB, m2 drive. I installed windows 10 on it and since then a specific problem appeared. Once in a while, mainly during gaming, there is a problem of 1-3 second suspension of the entire computer. After...
  8. Freezing disk/whole computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. File explorer won't open and hanging the whole windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer won't open and hanging the whole windows: [ATTACH]So this is how it looks and I have tried a ton of methods but none is working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-wont-open-and-hanging-the-whole/5cb2ece7-1b43-43b0-9134-c2327557000c
  10. Whole computer freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Whole computer freezing: Whilst running certain games like Dead by Daylight the computer will completely freeze and have to be restarted through the power button. Most times it fails to create a dump file but rarely it does....