Windows 10: File Explorer Freezes When Accessing Documents Tab

Discus and support File Explorer Freezes When Accessing Documents Tab in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good morning (3:13am), This is a brand new problem (explained below) for me and I've tried pretty much everything at this point. I've run a Virus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LHLurizonYT, May 8, 2019.

1. File Explorer Freezes When Accessing Documents Tab

Good morning (3:13am),

This is a brand new problem (explained below) for me and I've tried pretty much everything at this point. I've run a Virus scan, malware, adware, I've checked for repairs etc. etc. I've also restored the settings to default and cleared it's history with no avail.

This only cropped up after Chameleon Explorer Pro somehow got installed on my computer and after hours of working to remove ALL files and traces and the program itself (I can't find any traces. I even went run>prefetch and cleared all of that and emptied the recycle bin) I'm pretty sure I finally got rid of all of it as I assumed this was the main culprit.

However, I still can only scroll about half way down the documents page before File Explorer stops responding entirely and I then have to quit the program which crashes and then reloads my desktop. If I right click, it does the same thing. Freeze, quit, crash, reload.

Thankfully, I can access all my documents from the iOS OneDrive app and everything is still in there. No other folder or tab gives me this issue and it's frustrating and more than a little worrisome.

Is there any way to potentially remove File Explorer and then reinstall it or am I missing something? I've checked for previous versions but I have none.

I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 and have never had an issue quite like this one.

:)

LHLurizonYT, May 8, 2019
  2. Mark Ole Win User

Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, May 8, 2019
  3. Problem accessing Windows File Explorer documents

I recently purchased a ASUS laptop 2 in 1 computer with Window 10 installed. Frequently when I start up the computer and try to access my documents in File Explorer there are no documents. The system does a search and cannot find anything. By re-starting
    the computer it will reset itself and I can then access my documents. Any suggestions as to a fix. Thanks, Jim

KingSolomon77, May 8, 2019
  4. File Explorer Freezes When Accessing Documents Tab

File Explorer crashes on Quick Access Recent files item

Hi Loreto,

Clearing recent files does indeed allow File Explorer to open but my client did as I suggested and left recent files turned off for a few days and then turned it back on. It worked for a while but then started crashing again.

Two users at the same site have now reported the same problem which suggests it's not an individual user doing something unusual. It is very possible that they are working on the same documents in the same project.

The kind of documents in there will be:

• Documents opened directly from SharePoint
    • Documents opened from File Explorer viewing a SharePoint document library
    • Documents opened from File Explorer using a mapped drive to a SharePoint document library
    • Documents opened from Office 365 OneDrive

It's definitely a bug! Some threads have suggested bizarrely that it's linked to screen scaling?? And they do have a monitor and laptop screen with different scaling.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Nicholson (Home), May 8, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer Freezes When Accessing Documents Tab

1. File Explorer Freezes When Accessing Documents Tab - Similar Threads - File Explorer Freezes

2. No tabs in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No tabs in File Explorer: I had not been able to see File Explorer tabs 95% of the time, along with other file Explorer problems. I did an in-place upgrade today for Windows 11 Pro, and after completion still can't see tabs. All of my other File Explorer problems still exist as well. Does anyone else...
  3. Tabbed File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tabbed File Explorer: Hi - How do I used Tabbed File Explorer mentioned here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2022/10/18/making-the-everyday-easier-with-new-experiences-available-in-windows-11/Thanks for your help!...
  4. Tabbed File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tabbed File Explorer: Hi - How do I used Tabbed File Explorer mentioned here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2022/10/18/making-the-everyday-easier-with-new-experiences-available-in-windows-11/Thanks for your help!...
  5. File explorer crashes when closing Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer crashes when closing Tab: As per the titleOS Windows 11 Pro v 22H2 Build 22621.675FBH Ref https://aka.ms/AAie8il https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-closing-tab/8fe1a025-4737-4d9b-b302-57f7b715b6b9
  6. File explorer crashes when closing Tab

File explorer crashes when closing Tab: As per the titleOS Windows 11 Pro v 22H2 Build 22621.675FBH Ref https://aka.ms/AAie8il https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-closing-tab/8fe1a025-4737-4d9b-b302-57f7b715b6b9
  7. No Tab on File Explorer

No Tab on File Explorer: I still have no tab on my File Explorer, I tried Vivetool yet, didn't work. I appreciate anyone who can help.OS Version: 2H22OS Build: 22621.674 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-tab-on-file-explorer/0f6d7e30-6bd3-4b59-bce0-93d8f38debbc
  8. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  9. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  10. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents