Windows 10: File Explorer freezes when i select files

Discus and support File Explorer freezes when i select files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When i try to open a file and i click on it the spinning wheel appears and file explorer freezes, but it only works with apps if they are in a folder.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kannole, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Kannole Win User

File Explorer freezes when i select files

When i try to open a file and i click on it the spinning wheel appears and file explorer freezes, but it only works with apps if they are in a folder. If i try pinned apps, the ones on the desktop or if i search for them they work fine. This doesn't happens to folder. Can anyone tell me why this happens?? Thanks in advance

:)

Kannole, Mar 11, 2021
  2. Erika Aro Win User

window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Mar 11, 2021
  3. File Explorer Freezes when I select this .wav file

Hi Ashkan,

The issue may occur due to corrupted files. In order for us to assist you, we need to gather additional information:

• Were there any changes prior to the issue?
    • Were there any error message?

In the meantime, we suggest to run this article:
    Using System File Checker in Windows 10
    . It contains troubleshooting steps pertaining to the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Mar 11, 2021
  4. File Explorer freezes when i select files

Files in File Explorer crashes on Windows 10

Hi Anubhav,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue;

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the system randomly freezes?
    • Does the system freeze specific to any particular task on your computer?

I suggest you to perform the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter

System Maintenance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

Follow the steps given below:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search box from the desktop.

• Select the Troubleshooting option.

• Select View All option and select the
      System Maintenance

• Click on Next to perform the System Maintenance troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Method 2: End the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, under Process
      tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on Ok.

Method 3: Run Memory Diagnostic Tool.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key and type
      Memory Diagnostic
    • Select Windows Memory Diagnostics
      and click on Restart now and check for problems.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing files in File explorer for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer freezes when i select files

1. File Explorer freezes when i select files - Similar Threads - File Explorer freezes

2. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.: First of all, this is the first time that i write something like this. When I select multiple files in File explorer it crashes. This does not happen immediately though, selecting 2 or 3 files usualy is fine, the crash usualy occurs when i select around 5-7 files or more the...
  3. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.: First of all, this is the first time that i write something like this. When I select multiple files in File explorer it crashes. This does not happen immediately though, selecting 2 or 3 files usualy is fine, the crash usualy occurs when i select around 5-7 files or more the...
  4. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File explorer crashes when i select a file

File explorer crashes when i select a file: Hello dear Microsoft Community, My file explorer crashes when i select a file, right click/left click to it. Folder left click works perfectly but the file clicking isn't working and it crashes my file explorer. I can't literally open anything in my computer and it's too...
  6. file explorer freezes when i right click on a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file explorer freezes when i right click on a file: file explorer freezes when i right click on a file, i ran sfc /scannow but it reports that nothing is wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-freezes-when-i-right-click-on-a-file/46248c43-55b8-41a7-a1b1-ea300801f245
  7. File explorer hangs when I select a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer hangs when I select a folder: submitted by /u/Xsus03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/icznc1/file_explorer_hangs_when_i_select_a_folder/
  8. Windows Explorer freezes when I try to select multiple files in a folder

Windows Explorer freezes when I try to select multiple files in a folder: In Windows 10 Explorer when I select a file and then try to select another using the CTRL key or several others using the Shift key Windows Explorer immediately displays a "not responding" message in the top bar. I've tried running the File and Folder Troubleshooter several...
  9. Files in File Explorer are not selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files in File Explorer are not selected: Prior the issue File Explorer kept a selected file selected. I could select a file, then open it, save etc. without having to click on the mouse. Currently folder settings in File Explorer have changed because the file I have opened is not stayed selected anymore. I have to...
  10. File Explorer crash when selecting files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crash when selecting files: Hi Guys, I have encountered this problem (in thread line) for the past 3-5 days and I have come no closer to any solution during that period of time. Basically, as soon as I left click or right click on a file in Windows Explorer it will crash. My Windows icon in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows Explorer freezes when selecting file

2. windows explorer crashes when selecting file