Windows 10: File Explorer freezes when I try to create a new subfolder

Discus and support File Explorer freezes when I try to create a new subfolder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 File Explorer has started freezing when I try to create a new subfolder, particularly if I do so while trying to save a file from online. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by S.Cannon, Dec 17, 2019.

1. S.Cannon Win User

File Explorer freezes when I try to create a new subfolder

Windows 10 File Explorer has started freezing when I try to create a new subfolder, particularly if I do so while trying to save a file from online. It completely freezes to the point that I have to go to Task Manager and stop Chrome (for some reason File Explorer isn't showing up in Task Manager?) and then restart it because I can't close File Explorer and can't close Chrome because File Explorer is preventing it. I'm not sure whether this is a Windows 10 issue or a Chrome issue because they've both had recent updates. I'm not overly computer literate, so I apologize if this is something simple that I should know how to fix.

:)

S.Cannon, Dec 17, 2019
  2. S.Cannon Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer has started freezing when I try to create a new subfolder, particularly if I do so while trying to save a file from online. It completely freezes to the point that I have to go to Task Manager and stop Chrome (for some reason File
    Explorer isn't showing up in Task Manager?) and then restart it because I can't close File Explorer and can't close Chrome because File Explorer is preventing it. I'm not sure whether this is a Windows 10 issue or a Chrome issue because they've both had recent
    updates. I'm not overly computer literate, so I apologize if this is something simple that I should know how to fix.

S.Cannon, Jan 7, 2020
  3. File Explorer freezes when hovering the cursor over the "create" section.

Hi Alex,

To better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages after File Explorer freezes?
    • What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest you restart Windows Explorer by following the steps below:

• Type Task Manager in search bar.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • On the pop-up window, under Windows processes, scroll-down to
      Windows Explorer.
    • Right-click Windows Explorer, and click Restart.
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Uplink10 Win User

Archive Manager, can't extract without creating subfolder

I am trying to extract an archive which contains an archive split into multiple files and for that I need Archive Manager to extract the first archive not in any subfolders.

I read on the internet that if there is more than one file in the archive Archive Manager will automatically create a subfolder when extracting, now I think that there should certainly be an option for that too but there should not be only this default option available because now I can't extract a few archives without automatically creating subfolders.

I do not want subfolders because then the second archive won't be able to extract contents because the second archive is split into more files (which depend on each other) and now all these files are in its own subfolder instead of the same folder.

I used to this with ease with 7-Zip and Winrar on Windows but in Archive Manager there is no such a choice where you choose yourself whether you want it extracted to subfolder or not in a subfolder.

Uplink10, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

1. File Explorer freezes when I try to create a new subfolder - Similar Threads - File Explorer freezes

2. File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10: If when you are trying to create a New Folder using the context menu, File Explorer freezes or crashes in Windows 10, then this article is sure to help you. File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder [ATTACH] These are the things you can do is creating New...
  3. Cannot create a new folder in file explorer or when trying to save a document to a new folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot create a new folder in file explorer or when trying to save a document to a new folder: I have tried all the "fixes" in the community forum dating back to 2011. None have worked. Has Microsoft found a solution to this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-a-new-folder-in-file-explorer-or/cb153b5a-8fa6-4fbb-ac33-a6fe6e5ee8f7
  4. File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder

File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder: Just tonight, File Explorer started crashing every time I tried to create a new folder. I have rebooted my computer several times and tried multiple fixes. None have worked. And yes, this is a Windows 10 Computer I bought just a few months ago....
  5. Windows explorer hangs when trying to create a new folder

Windows explorer hangs when trying to create a new folder: Every time I try to create a new folder in windows explorer it hangs, then doesn't respond, then goes back to the explorer screen without the folder being made (total time around 1 min). I've tried the system check and a clean boot with no success. Its really annoying when...
  6. Windows freezes when creating a new file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows freezes when creating a new file: Do you know how you can right click to create a file? well, whenever I hover over new it freezes my computer. just a note, I had updated to the newest windows and it only started happening after it was downloaded....
  7. File explorer crashes when creating new folder!

File explorer crashes when creating new folder!: this only happens when creating a new folder, and only on my user... Whenever I try it on an alternate account, it doesn't happen... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-creating-new-folder/a08bfd61-3538-4a89-87d7-33aa39006a63"
  8. File Explorer freezes when creating new folders

File Explorer freezes when creating new folders: Hi, My problem is exactly as the title says. Every time I try to create a new folder, File Explorer freezes and then crashes after about a minute or two. I really wanna fix this as I am a student and need folders to organize my files but I don't really know how to proceed...
  9. Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder: This has been happening recently. I can't say it is or is not related to the Anniversary Update. But when I create a new folder or rename an existing folder, the folder box will freeze for 30-60 seconds. Sometimes it will then function as normal, sometimes it will require me...
  10. Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.: Hello, I currently have reformatted & installed Windows 10. I've been having this weird issue where if I rename / create shortcuts my computer will freeze. After about 15-20 seconds, explorer will restart and put files "~ew shortcut.tmp / New shortcut.lnk~RF3cc187.TMP" on my...