Windows 10: File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

Discus and support File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KGray6, Nov 24, 2021.

1. KGray6 Win User

File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and screen go blank and refresh.It's been a problem for about a year but I've been too busy to deal with it and no updates have removed the problem. I use Word all the time so it's a massive pain to have to move files from within word or on my phone.I'm running Windows 10 Home version 21H1 on a 2-year old Acer Swift 3. Also us

:)

KGray6, Nov 24, 2021
  2. marinro Win User

Folder Freeze when trying to click on a Word Document. HELP

Hi there,

I came across a very weird bug/issue.

Use Case

Step 1: Create a word document on Desktop and name it TestFreeze

Step 2: Test that you can open the word document and write something like 'Testing freeze folder' ->save it

Step 3: Create a folder on Desktop and name it FreezeMe

Step 4: Copy 'TestFreeze' document in the 'FreezeMe' folder

Step 5: Open the 'FreezeMe' folder and select/click 'TestFreeze' document

Result: Folder Not Responding

Additional Information

I have run some tests and it does not matter:

• if it is a new or old Microsoft word file
    • if the document has content in it or not
    • if it has a long/short name or special characters
    • it does not matter the folder or the name of the folder in which you put the file in
    I also tried with an excel file and seems that I do not experience the same issue.

Microsoft version: 16.0.9330.2073

Windows version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 with all updates up to date

If there is anything else I can provide to help sort this out, please do let me know.

Opened to any suggestions on how to fix this, as it is very frustrating.

Thanks

marinro, Nov 24, 2021
  3. microsoft word 2003

In the past year or so I've noticed another quirk where a downloaded Word document or other Office document won't open regardless of the steps I take to open them. After deleting the file and re-downloading the document it opens without issue. I've been using Chrome almost exclusively so I'm not sure if I've experienced this with Explorer or Firefox. So one last step to try might be to obtain another copy of your files if they are being generated and fetched externally to your system (ie. try downloading them again as the file might have simply been corrupted).

Beertintedgoggles, Nov 24, 2021
  4. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

microsoft word 2003

Very ineteresing and unknown method for me. I'll apply it, many thanks!

abandone15, Nov 24, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

1. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents - Similar Threads - File Explorer freezes

2. File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened: for some reason on my computer file explorer goes not responding for a min or 2 whenever this PC is opened, I have searched online but have found no solution....
  3. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  4. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  5. File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents: This has been happening for the last 2 days and it's extremely annoying. When I locate the file I want in Explorer, and it's likely stored in my Dropbox folder, Explorer will hang and I have to "End task" from task manager. However, if I open Word/Excel/Powerpoint and...
  6. File explorer unable to open word documents not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer unable to open word documents not responding: File Explorer is unable open Word documents - not responding message and forced to end task https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-unable-to-open-word-documents-not/df30e972-dcd2-4892-9a3e-8453dadc2b50"
  7. File Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder if Preview is on and Word document is selected

File Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder if Preview is on and Word document is selected: File Explorer hangs when selecting Word doc in OneDrive folder if Preview is on. It doesn't hang with any other file type that I've tried, including Excel or PDF. I've disconnected and re-connected several times and disabled Quick access. Using Windows 10 Pro....
  8. Windows Explorer Crashes when opening Word documents from OneDrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer Crashes when opening Word documents from OneDrive: Hi all I have an issue with my OneDrive in Windows Explorer. Whenever I try to open a Word doc from my OneDrive via Windows Explorer, Windows Explorer crashes, becoming unresponsive. This happens even if I select a Word document (i.e. clicking once). This does not happen if...
  9. File Explorer Freezes When Accessing Documents Tab

File Explorer Freezes When Accessing Documents Tab: Good morning (3:13am), This is a brand new problem (explained below) for me and I've tried pretty much everything at this point. I've run a Virus scan, malware, adware, I've checked for repairs etc. etc. I've also restored the settings to default and cleared it's history...
  10. No Word document preview in file explorer

No Word document preview in file explorer: ​Since updating to win 10 anniversary edition I cannot get a preview of Word documents in File Explorer - all other files show a preview. This is on a Sony Vaio all in one PC with Office 2010. The mystery is that I also have a Vaio laptop running the identical operating...