Windows 10: File Explorer freezes when right-clicking on a removable disk.

Discus and support File Explorer freezes when right-clicking on a removable disk. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whenever I right click on a removable disk directory in the file explorer navigation pane, one of two things happens. It either takes a long time to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NickRignanese, Aug 10, 2021.

1. File Explorer freezes when right-clicking on a removable disk.

Whenever I right click on a removable disk directory in the file explorer navigation pane, one of two things happens. It either takes a long time to load with a spinning wheel and the Not Responding appearing in the file explorer name, or file explorer completely crashes. Sometimes when the computer boots up this issue does not occur, but it is becoming more frequent.

:)

NickRignanese, Aug 10, 2021

2. mouse right click will not open my file explorer in taskbar

Hello Carl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What happens when you left clicking?
    • When you say right click, do you actually mean left click?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried to resolve this issue?

Left clicking with mouse will open File explorer or any other programs. Whereas right click will give you context menu.

I suggest you to right-click on the File Explorer
    on the task bar and select Unpin from Taskbar. Now in the search bar type
    File Explorer and right click on it and select Pin it to Taskbar
    and check if it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Aug 10, 2021
  3. File Explorer, Right click not responsive

Regarding your concern with File Explorer, we suggest that you follow these steps to resolve your query.

• Open File Explorer and click the View tab.
    • Click Options, and select Change folders and search options. The
      Folder Options window should pop up.
    • Click View tab and check mark “Always show icons, never thumbnails.”
      File Explorer freezes when right-clicking on a removable disk. 0a0866ea-811b-444d-836e-f29ca744e5b5.jpg
    • Click Apply and click Yes, when it asks, “Do you want all folders of this type to match this folder’s view settings?”
    • Click OK to close the Folder Options window and you may now use your File Explorer.

Let us know if the steps provided worked for you.

Genevieve Cri, Aug 10, 2021
  4. Ken Cory Win User

File Explorer freezes when right-clicking on a removable disk.

How to remove an entry from from the Windows 10 File Explorer Recent Files List when the entry refers to a file on a removable disk.

OK, the situation is that I opened a document on a removable disk, a USB stick in this case.

Some time after I removed that disk, I noticed that the document was in the Recent Files list in File Explorer.

Right-clicking on the document's icon provided no option to remove it from the list (i.e. "Remove from Quick access", although right-clicking on other icons in the Recent Files list did present that option.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Ken Cory, Aug 10, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer freezes when right-clicking on a removable disk.

1. File Explorer freezes when right-clicking on a removable disk. - Similar Threads - File Explorer freezes

2. file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture: i need help, when right clicking on a picture the file explore freezes, before it didn't do that, it only does for picture files and not normal files. i have already asked this but it came back, every single method i tried only fixes for a few days then it comes back...
  3. file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture: i need help, when right clicking on a picture the file explore freezes, before it didn't do that, it only does for picture files and not normal files. i have already asked this but it came back, every single method i tried only fixes for a few days then it comes back...
  4. file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture: i need help, when right clicking on a picture the file explore freezes, before it didn't do that, it only does for picture files and not normal files....
  6. file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture: i need help, when right clicking on a picture the file explore freezes, before it didn't do that, it only does for picture files and not normal files....
  7. file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. When is MS removing 3D in File Explorer and right click when there is no 3D?

in Windows 10 Customization
    When is MS removing 3D in File Explorer and right click when there is no 3D?: If you do a Google search or Bing if you are masochistic to remove 3D from Windows 10, there is a literary overload on how much appears.A lot of people if not the majority don't have or want 3D yet MS keeps on pushing it this way.Sure, it can be removed with registry settings...
  9. file explorer freezes when i right click on a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file explorer freezes when i right click on a file: file explorer freezes when i right click on a file, i ran sfc /scannow but it reports that nothing is wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-freezes-when-i-right-click-on-a-file/46248c43-55b8-41a7-a1b1-ea300801f245
  10. File Explorer keeps freezing when I right click

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer keeps freezing when I right click: I keep trying to right click on File Explorer but it will just freeze, and to close it I have to open Task Manager. I tried googling it but all I could find were Malware Guides that want you to download their special virus cleaner, or didn't relate to my problem. Please help....