Windows 10: File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

Discus and support File Explorer freezes, will not open Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cath G, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Cath G Win User

File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?

:)

Cath G, Oct 17, 2022
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Oct 17, 2022
  3. Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

Hi Casey,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the files/folders. I also appreciate your effort in trying to fix the issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any specific error code/error message while trying to open the file?
    2. Are you aware of any recent changes made on the device?
    3. Which version of Windows are running on your device?

Refer the article Which Windows operating system am I running for the information.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Method 1

Restart Windows Explorer

1. Click on Start, type in “Task Manager
    2. Now go to Process tab. Click on Windows Explorer and
      Restart.
    3. Then check the status of the issue.
    4. If the issue still persist, try with the method 2.

Method 2

I suggest you to try the suggested steps from the article Fix File Explorer
    if it won't open or start
    and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Oct 17, 2022
  4. jaydeee Win User

PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile File Explorer freezes, will not open Files :)

jaydeee, Oct 17, 2022
Thema:

1. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files - Similar Threads - File Explorer freezes

2. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer freezing: HelloI have an issue with my File Explorer.Every time I download a file and then try to immediately use it as an attachment, it either completely freezes or crashes.Sometimes it even forces me to do a restart.Please kindly advise.Thank you....
  3. File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened: for some reason on my computer file explorer goes not responding for a min or 2 whenever this PC is opened, I have searched online but have found no solution....
  4. File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened: for some reason on my computer file explorer goes not responding for a min or 2 whenever this PC is opened, I have searched online but have found no solution....
  5. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  6. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  7. Windows 11 File Explorer Freezes at open

Windows 11 File Explorer Freezes at open: Imagine you open the files folder and it crashes at the scroll That's exactly what is happening. below is my hardware info:IntelR CoreTM i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable64-bit operating system, x64-based processorEdition Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2...
  8. Windows 11 File Explorer Freezes at open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Freezes at open: Imagine you open the files folder and it crashes at the scroll That's exactly what is happening. below is my hardware info:IntelR CoreTM i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable64-bit operating system, x64-based processorEdition Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2...
  9. File Explorer Keeps Freezing After I Open Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Keeps Freezing After I Open Files: So I have just started getting this issue in the last few days. The last modification I had to any files or anything in my system was deleting some old save files from a game I've played. However, ever since then when I open File Explorer and try to open a file, it...
  10. file explorer freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file explorer freeze: My File Explorer keeps freezing up. Can't move files, rename files, or even delete them without having it freeze up. Three month old computer and it hasn't worked correctly from the beginning. I have tried everything on the web it would seem but with no luck My system...