Windows 10: File explorer freezing and crashing

Discus and support File explorer freezing and crashing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My file explorer freezes whenever I try to click on a Microsoft Office file (powerpoint presentations, excel spreadsheets, word docs etc). It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AcksonMapfundematsva, Sep 30, 2019.

1. File explorer freezing and crashing

My file explorer freezes whenever I try to click on a Microsoft Office file (powerpoint presentations, excel spreadsheets, word docs etc). It eventually crashes and restarts but I can never open office files from file explorer. In order to open files I have to use the open file option in the office program I want to use and navigate using the box that pops up. I have tried closing my onedrive and opening the files and the result is still the same. Please assist

:)

AcksonMapfundematsva, Sep 30, 2019

2. file explorer crashes

Effective Way to Solve the File Explorer Crashes Issue

You can try the following steps:

1. Tap down the Windows button first to activate the search bar.
    2. After that, in the search bar type control, and then click on the top-most search result, that is on Control Panel.
    3. Next, in the search bar type file.
    4. Now, from the search results click on File Explorer Options.
    5. Then, click on the Clean button.
    6. Lastly, click on Apply and then on OK.

References: https://www.****/knowledge/solved-windows-10-file-explorer-crash-easy-way/

JuanSmith2, Sep 30, 2019
  3. Gencijs Win User
    File explorer keeps crashing in Win 10

Hello,

I did the steps you wrote. All the settings were as you suggested. The File Explorer keeps crashing.

Gencijs, Sep 30, 2019
  4. peach1971 Win User

File explorer freezing and crashing

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

File explorer freezing and crashing

1. File explorer freezing and crashing - Similar Threads - File explorer freezing

2. File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10: Hello,Yesterday my system has started to experience freezing and crashes. Observed symptoms include the taskbar stopping and no longer functioning, the startup being slower than usual I own an SSD, the screen going black and returning to normal after the login sequence...
  3. File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10: Hello,Yesterday my system has started to experience freezing and crashes. Observed symptoms include the taskbar stopping and no longer functioning, the startup being slower than usual I own an SSD, the screen going black and returning to normal after the login sequence...
  4. File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File Explorer crashes and freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  6. File Explorer crashes and freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  7. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer freezing: HelloI have an issue with my File Explorer.Every time I download a file and then try to immediately use it as an attachment, it either completely freezes or crashes.Sometimes it even forces me to do a restart.Please kindly advise.Thank you....
  8. is File Explorer supposed to freeze then crash?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is File Explorer supposed to freeze then crash?: - When I open FE it seems unusually slow ie compared to other programs. Sometimes nothing happens. Other times nothing happens AND the arrow to the right also doesn't help. As often as not it freezes then crashes. Far from saving time, FE wastes my time. - There is no error...
  9. Windows file explorer keeps freezing and crashing.

Windows file explorer keeps freezing and crashing.: Hi. It's been more than one month that I'm having this problems with Windows 10 Enterprise. I don't know what's causing it, but here's whats happening: When some program, game or similar needs to open "open file" and even sometimes "Save file as", the windows from File...
  10. File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash: After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to the New menu, Explorer freezes and then crashes. Same thing happens if I click on the New Item icon on the toolbar. The...